Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 01:44 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,193,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
For the foreseeable future, short trips and back road exploration.
Watch out on those "short trips". Some of the most dangerous places to ride are around town and the neighborhood. Too many idiots getting complacent and not paying attention (not You. Car drivers on their phones).

I've nearly given up all riding lately. After 40+ years, I've seen enough. Since the introduction of the cell and smart phone, it's just not worth the risk. I was 9/10th killed by a girl on a cell phone (and had an absolute Jewel of a bike completely destroyed), and that was before texting. Now, I drive around in a huge F-250, looking down into cars of fools staring at their phones. And nearly getting hit, in that monster, 'cause "they didn't see me". I'm not too concerned about dying at this point, but I'd hate to see my bikes wadded up. Too many rare ones.

I dunno, man. I hate to be a kill-joy, but you've made it 61 years so far without a bike. Are you sure you need one now? Get a fishing boat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 03:52 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,715,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I dunno, man. I hate to be a kill-joy, but you've made it 61 years so far without a bike. Are you sure you need one now?
I'm healthy, retired, and have always wanted to ride. Many of my friends do.

You really do only live once.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:56 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
If you like the Moto Guzzi, get one. But I would suggest used since you'll likely drop it, and you'll be kicking yourself in the head for dinging up a pristine bike.
Not to mention there are some absolutely smoking deals to be had on used Guzzis! I had one and loved it! They're just a small company, even today their total production for the world is said to be well under 10,000 units. After Harley there the second oldest continuously manufacturing motorcycle company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I really enjoyed my Guzzi. It's got a 750cc but is very tame. It's a bit heavy for what I'd want for beginner, but with the low center of gravity, it's not hard to hold up. Be aware that like all mechanical things Italian, there are some quirks.
The PR folks refer to that as Italian Charm!

Old 07-17-2018, 12:06 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,508,675 times
Quote:
I'm healthy, retired, and have always wanted to ride. Many of my friends do.

You really do only live once.
You live every day.....you only DIE once.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:12 PM

47,023 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Key factors? Used. Cheap. Not too powerful. If you get the bug, your first bike will be far from your last bike and you have no idea what will appeal to you. Bikes aren't like cars-different bikes do some things well and others poorly.
This is really good advice.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:32 AM

783 posts, read 512,943 times
In my 40 years of riding, I've come to some conclusions; DO NOT buy new new for your first bike! You will drop it, maybe more than once, and you'll outgrow it in six months. Look for a used UJM to learn on.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:43 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,715,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
In my 40 years of riding, I've come to some conclusions; DO NOT buy new new for your first bike! You will drop it, maybe more than once, and you'll outgrow it in six months. Look for a used UJM to learn on.
I'm thinking of a Vulcan S. Seems like a bike I can learn to handle and won't grow out of it that quickly.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:51 AM

47,023 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of a Vulcan S. Seems like a bike I can learn to handle and won't grow out of it that quickly.
That's a sweet-looking ride. 650cc/61bhp is in the sweet spot to learn on and from the reviews I've found, it's a bike with hardly any vices. I would probably have suggested something a little less cruiser-y, but the heart wants what the heart wants, and the best bike is the one you find yourself riding often.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,972,030 times
Best advice I ever got from an experienced rider who had a half dozen pieces of metal in his body to fix broken bones, was "It's not if you will crash your bike, it's when". Turned out he was correct. After the first crash I continued riding my bike for another year or so. When my future wife refused to ride on it with me I sold it. Riding a motorcycle is like riding on the front fender of a car with nothing to hold on to but handlebars. If you accept the fact you will crash the bike at some point you are good to go.

Quote:
I am having late life crisis - I'm 61 and want to get a motorcycle as a beginner. I'm not looking for a pocket rocket, but something quick enough that will get me on a highway and be able keep up.

I'm 6'2" and prefer a bike that I can easily flat foot and is beginner friendly, something like a Honda Rebel.

Any suggests?

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2018, 05:14 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,621,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Best advice I ever got from an experienced rider who had a half dozen pieces of metal in his body to fix broken bones, was "It's not if you will crash your bike, it's when". Turned out he was correct. After the first crash I continued riding my bike for another year or so. When my future wife refused to ride on it with me I sold it. Riding a motorcycle is like riding on the front fender of a car with nothing to hold on to but handlebars. If you accept the fact you will crash the bike at some point you are good to go.

You forgot to give bike suggestions that the op asked for. And instead wasted the time of everyone that read your post.

Not to mention the fact that your 'advice' was already given an responded to by the op.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles