Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 09:49 AM

39,969 posts, read 26,750,394 times

Advertisements

Mazda's next-gen SkyActiv engines will drop spark plugs in favor of high compression - Autoblog

2018 Mazda3 to Introduce HCCI Engine, Promises 30% Better Fuel Efficiency - autoevolution

Quote:
In its relentless quest to keep the internal combustion engine alive by making it relevant in a world enamored with electric vehicles, Mazda plans to introduce the second-generation SkyActiv-G engine. More to the point, a motor that promises 30 percent better fuel efficiency than its predecessor.

As per an exclusive report published by Nikkei, the all-new powerplant will use “pressure, not spark plugs, to ignite fuel.” It sounds ridiculous when you think about it, but Mazda proved time and time again that it can win an argument against all the odds. Here’s a case in point about what I’m on about: the Japanese automaker was the first to perfect the rotary (Wankel) engine.

Due to the lack of spark plugs, the new engine will employ homogenous charge compression ignition (HCCI) to make things go boom. In other words, a gasoline-fed motor with the ignition system of a diesel engine. Other than superior gas mileage, this technical solution is also believed to reduce exhaust emissions. Slated to debut in 2018 in the next-gen Mazda3, the homogenous charge compression ignition SkyActiv mill will then roll out to other model
To me, this looks like very exciting technology. The potential to reach the efficiency and performance of a diesel, but in a gas motor. It would be the first real change in fundamental engine operation in decades. Hope they pull it off and that it works out well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 09:53 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,575,453 times
I imagine it would require hi-octane fuel. Might even be able to take advantage of the high octane of ethanol which would actually make it a great bang for buck for once. Ethanol in low compression naturally aspirated (non-turbo/supercharged) motors doesn't make a lot of sense from an economic stand point.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:22 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,530,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Mazda's next-gen SkyActiv engines will drop spark plugs in favor of high compression - Autoblog

2018 Mazda3 to Introduce HCCI Engine, Promises 30% Better Fuel Efficiency - autoevolution

To me, this looks like very exciting technology. The potential to reach the efficiency and performance of a diesel, but in a gas motor. It would be the first real change in fundamental engine operation in decades. Hope they pull it off and that it works out well.
It'll work.

I've built 13:1 small blocks that would not run on 93 even with the dwell set at 6 degrees... Not good for the carburetor though, backfiring through the intake...
Just need to get the injection timing and duration down, and a proper nozzle spray pattern for quench and even flame distribution across the piston. It'll work.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:05 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,575,453 times
Gotta hand it to Mazda. They continue to try to innovate. It's a shame they're so small compared to the other companies. Probably because so much goes into their R&D.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:19 AM

I just realized I put this in the wrong forum. Mod, if you would please move to automotive rather than bikes. Sorry.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
It'll work.

I've built 13:1 small blocks that would not run on 93 even with the dwell set at 6 degrees... Not good for the carburetor though, backfiring through the intake...
Just need to get the injection timing and duration down, and a proper nozzle spray pattern for quench and even flame distribution across the piston. It'll work.
I would guess that issue like lubrication of the injectors and high pressure fuel pump will take a while to sort out. But I hope they succeed. I know they are supposed to bring the diesel CX-5 to the US market this year. Mazda seems to do a better job of focusing on improving engine technology and efficiency as opposed to slapping on band-aids like hybride generators and battery packs like so many companies.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:16 PM

22,095 posts, read 25,497,640 times
Okay, if that 30% is real world I'd definitely get back in a Mazda3. That'd mean about 38/50/42-43 combined. I'm skeptical though. Maybe 30% more on the Japanese test cycle but I don't see it in the real world. Frankly, I don't care about how results are achieved. I have no trouble getting 50 mpg with my band-aid solution. I'd just prefer it handled better and wasn't quite so slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles