Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 76,363 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a 2002 camry 4 cylinder. Long story short, I was driving, termostat blew ( cold air instrad of hot started to blow) , needle started going up and down from middle to H . At no point did I see smoke coming from engine. When I pulled over, antifreeze area was cold and silver piece in front of engine was cold. Since I was far from home, kept driving , needle was going up and down. Eventually, as I was pressing gas, car was not accelerating , was staying around 40mph as I crossed whitestone bridge. Slowed down to pass ez pass and 5 seconds later, entire car shut off . All of the lights came on (battery light, oil, everything). Had to be towed. Mechanic only told me that the car has no compression. Claims that becasue engine has no compression on any of the cylinders that the engine needs to be replaced. Should I bother towing around for a second opinion or does this seem right? Trying to decide if its worth fixing or if I should junk it and get another used certified car.... PLEASE HELP !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Did they do a leakdown? It could be a blown head gasket.

If the head and block warped you can still get a used engine.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:13 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
Need more information, but you do at least need major engine work. Perhaps the head can be repaired, might need a new head, might have damaged the block. Only a more complete diagnoses and/or tear down will determine for sure. How many miles on the engine? If it's high mileage, probably not worth rebuilding the top end. Rebuild the top end on a high mileage engine, and the next weakest link goes next..
Many factors need to be determined... If all four cylinders are zero, you did some heafty damage. Perhaps they were just low, and you're saying zero...?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:49 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Sounds to me like you killed it, those warning lights will only work of you shut the car down when they light up.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:16 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Question is "just how hot did it get"? Hot enough to blow the head gasket,yes Hot enough to burn out the crank and rod bearings and melt pistons maybe...YO when it gets hot the first time STOP..No aluminum engine can run "hot" long and can be only a matter of seconds before damage is done.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:31 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michi170 View Post
Hi. I have a 2002 camry 4 cylinder. Long story short, I was driving, termostat blew ( cold air instrad of hot started to blow) , needle started going up and down from middle to H . At no point did I see smoke coming from engine. When I pulled over, antifreeze area was cold and silver piece in front of engine was cold. Since I was far from home, kept driving , needle was going up and down. Eventually, as I was pressing gas, car was not accelerating , was staying around 40mph as I crossed whitestone bridge. Slowed down to pass ez pass and 5 seconds later, entire car shut off . All of the lights came on (battery light, oil, everything). Had to be towed. Mechanic only told me that the car has no compression. Claims that becasue engine has no compression on any of the cylinders that the engine needs to be replaced. Should I bother towing around for a second opinion or does this seem right? Trying to decide if its worth fixing or if I should junk it and get another used certified car.... PLEASE HELP !
First, it's not likely your thermostat blew.

What's most likely is that you had a blown head gasket. Without knowing it you ran all the antifreeze out of the car. That is why you had cold air instead of warm blowing inside the car.

Unfortunately, you kept driving the car with no coolant in the engine. Most likely, you ruined the engine by doing that.

From here, you're probably facing the decision of whether the car is worth fixing, or whether you should get a different one.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Get a Jasper Rebuilt Engine. Your engine is dead--sorry.

JASPER Engines & Transmissions: Remanufactured engine: diesel, marine, import

Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post

I think I'd be more inclined to go with a good used engine - unless the price & warranty of the re-manufactured engine made it impossible to ignore.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post

Yep, this engine has been well "cooked". It's dead.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I think I'd be more inclined to go with a good used engine - unless the price & warranty of the re-manufactured engine made it impossible to ignore.
While cheaper a used engine is a poor choice in 99.9% of all rebuilds unless you're building a demo derby car. Why pay for the unknown when a Jasper rebuilt engine is very well known and with a warranty to boot.

I've never seen any sort of a warranty on a used engine in all my 63 years. Hell, a used engine isn't even warranted to run so why buy one?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yep, this engine has been well "cooked". It's dead.........

While cheaper a used engine is a poor choice in 99.9% of all rebuilds unless you're building a demo derby car. Why pay for the unknown when a Jasper rebuilt engine is very well known and with a warranty to boot.

I've never seen any sort of a warranty on a used engine in all my 63 years. Hell, a used engine isn't even warranted to run so why buy one?
Well... 6 years ago I bought a VW Golf on an abandoned vehicle auction. Turns out the engine was toast. So I bought a used engine from a salvage yard in Lincoln, NE. It had just under 50,000 miles, and I paid $325 for it.

I installed it myself, and have been driving the car since. 100,000+ miles later, I think I did alright.

That's just one example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive