Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 01:45 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times

Advertisements

I ride an E bike now. I'm retired and not need to commute to work any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 02:03 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Every time I even look at my bike, I feel like a little kid who got everything I ever wanted at Christmas. It would take a LOT for me to give it up.
I get that! 40 years riding this year. I've ridden all over the World on all types of motorcycle and I've felt the same way about every one of them.

Old 11-20-2021, 02:08 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Went to church with a man who gave up his motorcycle. But, at 81 years old, he said it was getting hard to hold up his Gold Wing when he had to stop.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:30 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I get that! 40 years riding this year. I've ridden all over the World on all types of motorcycle and I've felt the same way about every one of them.
I haven't been riding as long as you but I also rode all over Europe, without a ML and I'm addicted! I love my bike, I even named him lol.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:12 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
I turn 70 in a couple of months, and have been riding some kind of 2-wheel motor bike since I got my first mini-bike at 13. Dirt bikes starting at 16. Moved up the chain to Yamaha Enduros, Honda Scramblers, Yamaha 550-4's, to a 750cc Honda V45 Magna. I had 20 total. I put it all aside for a few years, while I changed states. Once settled, in 2014 I decided to get back on the pavement, and bought a 300cc Honda Forza (my first scoot). I have ridden #21 monthly since I bought it. Retired in 2018, but still drive it a lot. I enjoy being on a bike of any kind, and intend to continue.

I won't let the black-hats win.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:51 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Every time I even look at my bike, I feel like a little kid who got everything I ever wanted at Christmas. It would take a LOT for me to give it up.
Yeah, me too. Every time I see my R6 in the garage with the tires all scrubbed in from trackdays my spirit is lifted a bit. Seems like no one gets it but you guys and the other guys (and gals) in the paddock. I've given up at this point trying to express my joy of riding (whether it be a trackday or just a cruise up in to the mountains) to others close to me as it is typically met with a glassy eyed uncomprehending stare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I enjoy being on a bike of any kind, and intend to continue.
Yeah, this too. Enduros, supermotos, sportbikes, cruisers. It just feels good riding them.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:03 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Yeah, me too. Every time I see my R6 in the garage with the tires all scrubbed in from trackdays my spirit is lifted a bit. Seems like no one gets it but you guys and the other guys (and gals) in the paddock. I've given up at this point trying to express my joy of riding (whether it be a trackday or just a cruise up in to the mountains) to others close to me as it is typically met with a glassy eyed uncomprehending stare.

Yeah, this too. Enduros, supermotos, sportbikes, cruisers. It just feels good riding them.
I gotta agree with you on this
Those that “get it” really get it.
Those that don’t “get it” have no idea what chocolate tastes like.
It’s a shame too, because if they ever tried chocolate….

Old 12-19-2021, 12:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Did over 200 miles yesterday (mostly dirt backroads). Only ran across 3 cars and trucks, but they weren't headed my way. I'm Considering picking up a couple more low mileage adv bikes this winter so I can sell those with higher mileage next spring. I'm up to 5 motorcycles at each of my homes. Extra bikes should make for a few profitable estate sales, but not if all the riders get old and disappear!

Not sure I can daily keep kicking over my thumpers, as Dr prescribed something that messed up both my knees a couple months ago. Never had joint issues or damage, but now I cannot be in a seated position on bike, airplane, bobcat, or dump truck. Can't sleep, or run without a lot of sharp pain in inner knees. No swelling, no discoloration. As long as I'm moving my knees I'm ok.
Might need to go back to the Benelli Mo-ped! Guess I should have kept it and the Fiat 124 sport coupe (1960s).

I enjoy riding solo where there are no other vehicles (including other riders). I seem to get along best with wildlife, and grazing cows, sheep, and goats.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-19-2021 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-02-2022, 01:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Just started riding after being 100% against riding my whole life. I keep my risk to a minium, I rarely ride to work when the crazies are rushing to work and I usually ride on the weekends, back county roads and am home before dark. If I ride during the week it's after dinner ride when traffic is down 70%. I don't ride in big cities or go bar to bar, it's back country roads. Deer are my biggest concern.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Just started riding after being 100% against riding my whole life. I keep my risk to a minium, ...Deer are my biggest concern.
Be very careful! Practice a lot. Realize no other drivers see you.

A friend was in the hospital for 6 weeks due to a deer strike. I got hit by one broadside last yr. Tho on a light 300# 500cc thumper, I kept upright, but the deer dented my precious aluminum tank and headlight and broke turn signals. I was sore, but alive.

Friend now uses a Deer Horn, but I don't see they help. Maybe my deer don't mind the high frequency. I usually see hundreds of deer on my nightly sunset ride. I have 26 bedded down next to my cabin tonight. I can whistle high pitched, and the deer vanish. But I ride into my home place with Deer Horn blasting, and they do not even look up.

Be extra careful (60+ yrs riding nearly everyday, except for the 18 yrs kids lived at home, DW insisted, and I was happy to comply.)

Previous raced AMA dirt short track, 1/2 mile, and dirt TT. (I had a Kenny Roberts XS-650,+ Yamaha factory yellow and black leathers. I still have 2 vintage XS-650s. They are fun and still pretty fast (enough for me!)
3 friends got killed in 3 consecutive weekends, and I couldn't be next because I was the caregiver for my parents, so I took a breather from professional racing, and relaxed to do occasional cross-country racing. That was physically very tough, but not fatal. It was great for quick reaction, and getting your bike to pull you out of certain crash situations.

Next snowy day.... Watch "on any Sunday" parts one and 2. That was my life and era. It was a blast. Drifted many dirt curves today, just to stay in practice. I met one car in 300+ miles of back roads. But lots of curious cows, deer, shunks, armadillos, and found some bison too. All but one water crossing was dry (serious drought).

MC was a great escape from fireworks traffic jam tonight. Rode through a few spillways and large culverts under backed up highway, and was out of the traffic in a flash.

MC are dangerous and fun.
Respect the risks.
Stay well insured.
Have a plan if you become a quadriplegic. (I keep the instructions for death and disability in the centerpiece bowl on dining room table)
Be prepared and articulate, for the benefit of those you will be leaving behind

Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles