Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 12:21 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times

Advertisements

I only ride about once or twice a week. I think that is a good spot where your skills don't degrade and your bike stays fresh but you aren't tempting fate by riding all the time.

I feel there is a point in the curve statistically where if you ride too much you have too many opportunities to crash.

In my 20s I rode about 5k-6K miles a year. Now I'm down to about 2500/yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 11:23 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I only ride about once or twice a week. I think that is a good spot where your skills don't degrade and your bike stays fresh but you aren't tempting fate by riding all the time.

I feel there is a point in the curve statistically where if you ride too much you have too many opportunities to crash.
There absolutely is. It's a "Bell Curve." Early in our career, we make mistakes because we either panic, or become over whelmed. Late in our riding career, we become complacent or have a "medical" issue.

By your reasoning, Antarctica would be the safest place to ride a motorcycle. Would it be "safer?"

Old 05-08-2021, 06:57 AM

60 posts, read 70,338 times
3 people killed in Houston on bikes just this last weekend...

Old 05-08-2021, 07:53 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
I no longer ride on the freeways due to the increasing amount of reckless speeders. There is a clear loss of speeding cops on the freeways now with the reduction in police staffing. These high performance car drivers are having a delightful time right now. I ride a little 150 cc PCX 150 scooter just for errands and to enjoy the warm weather.

Use to ride GSXR600, CBR600RR and countless other rides.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I no longer ride on the freeways due to the increasing amount of reckless speeders. There is a clear loss of speeding cops on the freeways now with the reduction in police staffing. These high performance car drivers are having a delightful time right now. I ride a little 150 cc PCX 150 scooter just for errands and to enjoy the warm weather.

Use to ride GSXR600, CBR600RR and countless other rides.
My GF is looking @ the PCX 150 to replace her S-Triple 765 R. She's not riding it much, probably for the same reasons you mention.

Can you give me your input regarding the PCX?

Old 05-09-2021, 10:47 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
PCX150 is about as light and nimble as a bicycle. I have the 2017 one with the extra skinny tires versus the latest PCX150 so that adds to its light and nimble feel. Its a terrific in town bike for big cities. I get about 95 mpg. I can take most cars off the line up to 45mph. It will max out at about 62mph.

I got mine 5 months ago, for $2650 with 1200 miles. A windshield is a must as well as a rear rack for a top box.

I think it handles better than a overpriced Vespa scooter because the PCX has a really low center of gravity. I tested the Vesap 300 GTS before I got my ride.

Old 05-09-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
PCX150 is about as light and nimble as a bicycle. I have the 2017 one with the extra skinny tires versus the latest PCX150 so that adds to its light and nimble feel. Its a terrific in town bike for big cities. I get about 95 mpg. I can take most cars off the line up to 45mph. It will max out at about 62mph.

I got mine 5 months ago, for $2650 with 1200 miles. A windshield is a must as well as a rear rack for a top box.

I think it handles better than a overpriced Vespa scooter because the PCX has a really low center of gravity. I tested the Vesap 300 GTS before I got my ride.
PM time.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:48 PM

782 posts, read 1,355,474 times
I gave it up years ago.
I grew up riding motorcycles in California from age 16 until I was in my mid-20's I always had a bike and rode it almost daily.
Then after more than 25 yrs away from riding, I was going to buy a bike. When the deal didn't pan out I just walked away from biking.
My brother still rides but he was in a very serious accident where a young driver hit him at a stop sign. He was thrown off the bike and had a concussion and broke a few bones. His bike was totaled.
He said he was done with motorcycles but when he completely recovered he bought another and has been back riding for a few years now.
I will not ride again but I do own an atv and will ride that off-trail where there are no drivers to worry about.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:55 AM

238 posts, read 99,293 times
I have about 10 years highway experience the majority of which came 25 years ago. After a long hiatus I got back into riding 2 years ago in my mid 40's and am enjoying it a whole lot. I've put about 3500 miles on my new bike since my return to 2 wheels. I didn't quit riding for any reason other than my bike being stolen in 1996 and just decided to pass on getting another one until 2019.

Riding is so nice in Florida. I just do what I have always done... ride safely and pay extra attention when approaching intersections and left turners. Floridians love to drive fast so always paying attention. Don't care about the chance to ride helmetless... I always wear a full face model.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:09 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
I gave up motorcycles to go to scootering and ebikes. With every market now being overpriced and less options in the motorcycle world. The future is in electric vehicles that include motorcycles. I use my vehicles as commute vehicles not recreation. Until the powersports industry moves to that mentality, it will lose sales to other forms of transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles