Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:28 PM

6,741 posts, read 4,431,979 times

Advertisements

All helmet brands do not use the same sizing chart. Your size could be a large with one brand, and an XL with another brand. I pick the brand helmet I like, try one on in a bike shop or wherever, then order it online and save a bunch. Some brands like Bell. As size goes up, it will accommodate a larger shape, not just a standard size helmet ( liner ) made bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:17 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,367,892 times
HJC helmets seem to fit my punkin head the best.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,668,356 times
Next one I get has to be quiet! I have an ICON right now, and it is like a jet engine next to your ear. I wear ear plugs with it, Id like o get away from that. I had some Shoei's that were pretty quiet, but that was a decade or so ago, but they are as much as Aria's now

Old 09-10-2015, 05:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,367,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Next one I get has to be quiet! I have an ICON right now, and it is like a jet engine next to your ear. I wear ear plugs with it, Id like o get away from that. I had some Shoei's that were pretty quiet, but that was a decade or so ago, but they are as much as Aria's now
I would like a quiet helmet but I have nothing to compare noise levels, I've had a lot of helmets but none that I thought were quiet enough not to wear ear plugs.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:19 PM

358 posts, read 349,856 times
My first helmet which was an HJC made in korea, the quality was great and I really liked it. Since than all my motocross helmets have been Fox which are just ok, for the street I have had Biltwell (alright, not too shabby), Hjc(good), and Agv( not that great ) and now I am on Shoei and its like a Rolls Royce , I have the Shoei GT Air and love it. It has a drop down sun visor too which is nice.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:45 AM

9,542 posts, read 4,369,045 times
Shoei X-11 on the street, Shoei VFX-R for motocross. I've tried less expensive helmets a few times over the years and have been disappointed. Arai is probably the only other brand I would seriously consider. I would never consider an open face helmet.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:40 PM

I remember Sport Rider or one of those squid pubs did a test on helmets where they had different criteria for crush and other
stuff(cant remember), destroyed a few helmets, and the one that "won" was a garden variety Bell. I know there is difference between an Arai and a 10.00 farmers market helmet, but I dont think there is 300.00 more protection in a 600.00 helmet than a 300.00 one.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:54 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,437,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I know there is difference between an Arai and a 10.00 farmers market helmet, but I dont think there is 300.00 more protection in a 600.00 helmet than a 300.00 one.
The difference between $300 and $600 is the graphics. I say this from the perspective of only having bought/worn Arai since the mid 1990's and never having paid more than $300+tax. These helmets were always the "cheap" plain solid colored helmets, but of the same quality.

The difference between a Snell/DOT/ECE (same ratings) helmet that's $100 and $300 is NOT how safe/protection offered, it's all about weight, materials, fit and finish... normally you'd use the term "quality". Bell makes some fantastic helmets, but the reason it "won" in the article you remember was part of a smear campaign against SNELL labs. Pick your side if you want, though both are wrong if the certification is the primary reason to buy/shun a helmet that Fits correctly.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
The difference between $300 and $600 is the graphics. I say this from the perspective of only having bought/worn Arai since the mid 1990's and never having paid more than $300+tax. These helmets were always the "cheap" plain solid colored helmets, but of the same quality.

The difference between a Snell/DOT/ECE (same ratings) helmet that's $100 and $300 is NOT how safe/protection offered, it's all about weight, materials, fit and finish... normally you'd use the term "quality". Bell makes some fantastic helmets, but the reason it "won" in the article you remember was part of a smear campaign against SNELL labs. Pick your side if you want, though both are wrong if the certification is the primary reason to buy/shun a helmet that Fits correctly.
I don't remember it that well. I was not even aware politics were involved. With Sport Rider, I just skip to the last paragraph of any article because back then, everything inbetween was a wankfest for one of the testers whose initials were K.K. I have an Icon now, and I think they have slick marketing to sportbike kiddies, so that ICON, which is sposed to be a limited edition, is not what I would call a high quality product.
Im looking for an nice flat black full-face. Will probably end up being a Bell or AGV etc just because they get OK ratings and I like the way they are cut, go down lower than a Biltwell which was on the list, but they look kind of weird cuz they ride up high for a full face, if that makes any sense?

Old 10-04-2015, 02:43 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,437,690 times
Makes sense, I've seen my chin poking out under the bottom of a few helmets.

I'm not that much into brand myself. I shop for fit first (hardest, I'm a round head guy, which is why I wore/wear Arai Quantums on the street, unfortunately I've yet to find a replacement since that line was discontinued), then look at the quality and price. When I was MC-only and riding in ALL weather, having vents that Actually functioned (closed, kept winter air and water out) was important. Now I'm a much more fair-weather rider (no job, no commute, no reason to Have to ride in frog-strangling downpours or below freezing temps), so the same features wouldn't be as important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles