Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:48 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,723,577 times

Advertisements

In Minnesota motorcycle drivers are not legally required to wear helmets. I see so many people driving around with the wind blowing in their hair. But the ironic thing is that every bicyclist that I see, young and old, is wearing mandatory bike helmets! Where are the lawmakers on this one? Why do people have to wear bicycle helmets to go maybe 20 mph but you can go 65 mph on a huge motorcycle and not have to wear a helmet. I know every state has different laws...I just think this is so unbalanced and insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 07:07 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,021,055 times
Good point. Here in CA, helmets are mandatory.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:50 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,247,938 times
Here in FL you see people all year long riding motorcycles in shorts, no shirt, flip flops, and no helmet. But you can get a ticket for riding in your passenger car without a seat belt.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:54 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
There are various groups around the country that lobby hard to be anti-helmet, mostly they view it as rider's choice. IL does not require helmets either. I don't know about child passengers though. That SHOULD be a requirement if it is not.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:54 AM

79 posts, read 277,642 times
I know what you mean, here in Ks. you don't have to wear a helmet on cycle, but you better have that seat belt on or else..I think thier priorities are messed up myself.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:35 AM

3,300 posts, read 9,193,012 times
My 40 yo cousin rides motorcycles for pleasure.

Was riding one WITH a helmet, and a good jacket, pants, etc when he was in an accident. Thanks to the helmet, he is still alive. He landed on his head according to the accident report.

At the time, NC did not require him to wear one. He is glad he did anyway.

He sent his damaged helmet in for a new one at no cost.

He still rides but he is suffering from other neurological issues because of that accident.

PLEASE WEAR a helmet. DO not be a statistic. Liz

Old 07-03-2007, 08:45 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
In Minnesota motorcycle drivers are not legally required to wear helmets. I see so many people driving around with the wind blowing in their hair. But the ironic thing is that every bicyclist that I see, young and old, is wearing mandatory bike helmets! Where are the lawmakers on this one? Why do people have to wear bicycle helmets to go maybe 20 mph but you can go 65 mph on a huge motorcycle and not have to wear a helmet. I know every state has different laws...I just think this is so unbalanced and insane.
Florida is the same way, you don't have to wear a helment on a motorcycle, but you have to wear a helment on a bicycle! lmao! I never really thought about that.. that is really stupid!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,660,788 times
I think the motorcylce helmet issue (in Texas, anyway) is covered by the department of motor vehicles and is, therefore, a state issue. The bicycle helmets are covered by local jurisdications. In Austin, it has been back and forth for the cyclists....you don't need a helmet, then you do need a helmet, currently you do not need a helmet.

It is kind of hard to see why the two cases should be different...in reality, the damage is often done by what hits you, not what speed you personally are going. In which case, motorcycles are typically in a much higher speed environment; however, the differential speed for bicyclists and cars is usually much higher, and the bicyclist has much less chance to do anything to avoid an accident.

As for the seatbelt comparison brought up, the sheet number of motorists and the simplicity of the solution make it an easy call. It saves the country probably many millions (if not billions) of dollars a year in immediate treatment and long term care and continue functionality in society. As for helmets, the relatively low numbers of cyclists and bikers has prevented this from becoming mandatory.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 AM

793 posts, read 3,123,231 times
New Hampshire and Rhode Island have no helmet laws, and that is the way it should be every where: absolutely none of the state's business regardless of how much "nannying" it chooses to do. The arguments about insurance rates and medical bills isn't a sound legal argument and is a myth anyways thanks to the lying, falsified statistical fear-mongering lobbyists and insurance industry: big bucks on the line as always when it comes to any lobbying issues!
I don't propose anyone should ride without a helmet or a fastened seatbelt, but it is absolutely none of the government's business. You want to be stupid, that's your right.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,549,163 times
states with motorcycle helmet lawas
50 State Helmet Law Review

states with bicycle helmet lawas
Bicycle Helmet Laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles