Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:47 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
He should have a friend ride it home for him. Once he's got it home he should just cruise around his neighborhood to reacquaint himself with the controls. While we're on the subject why'd he buy new???? Odds are he'll dump it within the first six months. He should've bought a used one.
A HD is no bike for a beginner. Just become an organ donor. No one will blame you once you do that last get off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 04:45 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,305 times
Just jump on, throttle back and push that ***** around- he'll be fine. Just kidding- an inexperienced person should not even attempt and should take the MSA class and baby steps as it is your life when you ride a bike. A bike should be respected like a chainsaw or anything else that has potential to "bite" you. No shame in admitting you need to take it slow- when I bought my bike the dealer delivered to my house. I rode around the block and dropped it on a turn and decided to take the MSA class. Even after the class I took it slow but riding around neighbohood then taking out of the neighborhood and then eventually highways. The highway is a whole nother world when on a bike- even when it seems like a still stay once you hit a highway there is wind and the wind changes when passing 18 wheelers is interesting too.

I know a guy who bought a brand new Harley- put all kinds of extra's on it. He started a few times- rode around the block once and never got on it again. I rode it once around the neighborhood. He ended up selling it for a pretty nice loss- what a waste but he knew his limitations and fear limits- I respect him for his decision and at least not attending his funeral.

Ride your on your ride and look where you want to go.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:16 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Always assume no one sees you. Because a lot of the time they dont.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:17 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
If you never had a MC endorsement on your driver license then you have to take the class in order to get plates for your new bike.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:09 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
A motorcycle is not at all like a bicycle. the guy needs to take a course in both riding and safety. He should start with a much smaller bike like an Royal Enfield 500 or suchlike.

When I got back into riding a few years ago I took the course and learned a lot.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I used to be a motorcycle safety instructor. It was a three day class for Navy personnel that had to go to through the class before they could get a base decal. We started each class by telling the students:

"There are only two tgpes of motorcycle riders out there, them that have been down, and them that are going down". It usually got their attention.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
First was a Sear Allstate red motor scooter. Built my way up to a Vespa then Cushman Eagle. You could get a license here at 12 yrs old.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:53 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I'd personally recommend a small, lightweight dual sport, something like a Yamaha XT 225/250, maybe a Super Sherpa. Spend some time on a lighter bike and get used to how a bike handles. Most importantly, spend some time on dirt/gravel roads. It teaches a huge amount about avoiding target fixation, reacting to changing road conditions and controlling a bike when the the tires are slipping and sliding. Riding dirt has done more to make me a better pavement rider in the last few years than the previous 20 or more years of riding pavement. Besides, it's just plain fun.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:33 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYF41 View Post

What do you think about people who buy a bike and just hop on and go? I will say that he is not the most agile person I have ever known. Am I being overly cautious?
No, you did it the right way. The norm today is to jump on a GSXR 600 and crash it 90 days later (according to insurance co stats). Sportbikes culture and the fact that the bigger motorcycle companies wont give us real, usable mid-size bikes means a few generations of riders are missing out on some real important skills.
It used to be youd start out on a dirt bike and work your way up. Thats how it should be. Not so much any more. The sad thing is, any 'real' rider will tell you, a small bike ridden WFO 100% of the time is going to be way more fun that a fast bike ridden at only 25% of its capacity. I personally feel if a person knows they are going to ride for a lifetime, they should buy a 1000.00 dirt bike and woods ride for a year. It teaches you bike control, crazy reflex, and how not to be scared of crashing. Woods riding is the best teacher there is.
But, all people cannot do that, in that case, starting small is the best way to go.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:57 AM

37 posts, read 67,292 times
I took the safety class and fought the urge to get a HD right off the bat, you have to know your limitations as a beginner. Bought a cheap, used Virago 250 for the first year and am so glad I did. Didn't have to be terrified I would lay it down an loose a ton of money, learned how to maintain a cycle, and got great experience riding on a lighter, more easily controlled bike with some limitation as to how fast I could accelerate. I think it worked wonders in building up the confidence you need - while maintaining a health appreciation of the risk involved.

Now my wife has taken the class and has "inherited" the 250 while I moved up to mid-range cruiser. I mean, I had to get a new bike if she was going to use my old one right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles