Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 06:49 PM

14 posts, read 33,314 times

Advertisements

So this summer around late July I'm flying from Maine out to LA. I'm spending a couple weeks there, then driving all the way back to Maine. Me and the friend I'm going with plan on spending a day or two in Houston, arriving there somewhere around early August.

I've wanted to try riding a bull for some time now, but I've never even been around the Texas area, and there aren't any rodeos of any sort up in tiny little Maine. So, I was wondering if there are any sort of venues where they have an "amateur night" or a "first-timers night" or something like that available around early August, where I would be able to (I'm sure) sign a sh*t ton of waivers, and be able to try riding a bull just once.

It doesn't have to be exactly right in Austin, but just around the area, since we will be staying in Houston, and then going through Texas into Louisiana and up the east coast. I just figure that if maybe Houston doesn't have quite the place I'm looking for, maybe Austin will?

Thanks ahead for any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 12:54 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
No. And I think you know that.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:06 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonFacePalmer View Post

I've wanted to try riding a bull for some time now,
CarsonFacePalmer + Bull Riding = RobertFacePlant

Old 01-14-2015, 11:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
The liability would be horrendous. Bull riding is a very dangerous sport, as is evidenced by the PROFESSIONALS who get injured or killed on a regular basis.

Unless maybe you were riding a calf, but I suspect that's not what you're meaning and I don't think there's any such venue even using calves.

"Here, hold my beer and watch this!" comes to mind on reading your post.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:20 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Dallas: Bull Riding School in Dallas at Cloud 9 Living Gifts

Houston: Rodeo Bull Riding School, Houston | GAD

Old 01-14-2015, 06:21 PM

104 posts, read 157,091 times
Are you aware that we have bars that have mechanical bulls you can ride all night long? Would that work for you?

Old 01-14-2015, 06:31 PM

Why would I know there aren't opportunities? I'm from Maine, I have no idea about anything in the Texas area/the south in general. Hell, I've never even seen a bull before. Why would I know?

CarsonFacePalmer is an NFL joke actually, Carson Palmer + face palm. Good one though aha

Yeah, I totally get that it's not exactly the safest thing to do, but it's something that I'd still love to try. It's not just some spur of the moment "I'm gonna go do that right now" sorta thing, I've wanted to do it for a while and now's my opportunity to.

Thanks for the links, but a three day thing isn't exactly what I'm looking for, I'm not gonna spend the time or cash on something like that when I'm only going to be in Texas for a day or two and won't be able to do it back up in Maine

Old 01-14-2015, 07:19 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
If you were a little kid, we could just put you on a goat!! That is how you get your bull riding practice.

Short of giant goats, I think your best bet would be just to try and see a live rodeo. Austin's Rodeo is in March, for the most part early August is not rodeo time in Texas. February and March is when you will see the big rodeos. (San Antonio, Ft. Worth, Houston, Austin).

Big Bend Ranch has a rodeo the first week of August in Alpine TX. It is a working ranch hands rodeo, might be on your way if you are driving from LA. Don't think they will let you anywhere near a bull though

Old 01-15-2015, 12:39 PM

701 posts, read 2,481,812 times
Im still trying to get past the part about you coming to Texas in August.

I've never been to a rodeo yet (shame, really) but it's my understanding they mostly happen earlier in the year. But maybe that rodeo in Alpine would work for you? As a spectator, anyway. I really doubt that anyone with half a mind would let a newbie on a real bull.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:50 AM

Is Big Bend's one they do the first week in August the only one they have?

I don't have much of an option than to come to Texas the first week of August. If I don't then, then I won't be able to at all. I just figure SOME place would have a first timers night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin