Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:16 AM

21,898 posts, read 25,219,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Anything much below 30, and I just don't have the gear for it. My hands are miserable at those temps, and I have a 30 miles 50 minute commute. It's no fun if it's too cold. In looking at the forecast though, it looks like I will be able to ride at least a couple of days next week.
Depending on the bike that might not be that much. I've ridden with my uncle on a K1200GT and the only heated gear I had was some borrowed gloves. Otherwise it was the normal gear I wear on my bikes which starts getting uncomfortably cold at 40F. Wind protection makes a hell of a difference. With actual winter gear, shouldn't be much of an issue even below freezing without going all tricked out heated everything. I don't really have any of it, just "four-season" gear as when it gets cold I just ride west instead of east where it never gets cold. My only real winter gear is some cheap Goretex winter gloves that are passably water resistant for light showers.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-24-2015 at 12:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:59 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,035,456 times
below 35 F Heated gear works good. I like GearsCanada. Comfort is priceless.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:19 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
35 degrees here in KY this morning. Took the BMW due to heated grips. Thinking they were not working, though. I couldnt tell, anyway.
I honestly prefer cooler weather riding to very warm weather riding but your post reminded me of my first year commuting. Even though it was roughly 14 miles whee majority was on the freeway going 75+ mph, since I only had a mesh jacket with a zip out liner, it was far from providing the wind and cold protection.

Quite a few days I noticed the thermostat displaying high 30s and radio show mentioning with chill factor it would feel like 18-19 degrees if riding a motorcycle or convertible car.

That kind of explained why I felt and looked the way Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels looked in Dumb n Dumber during their arrival to Aspen on a scooter:

I am slightly wiser nowadays.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:39 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,113,657 times
Been starting to ride my DR650 back and forth to work every other day out here in eastern NM.
I tend to be a bit of a wuss and try to stick to 45mph or less, side streets.

No one really follows speed limits out here and any time I'm forced to go above 60, I honestly feel like I'm about to get blown off.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:35 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,346,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
below 35 F Heated gear works good. I like GearsCanada. Comfort is priceless.
I will have to check them out, and yet comfort is paramount in the Winter.

I last hit the road at the end of December here, but it was over 50 degrees that day. It was nice to ride so late in the season. I usually won't kick back up until the middle of March, and I haven't bought any Winter gear this Winter either. I just bought a Jeep Cherokee as a Winter beater, and I have been kind of enjoying driving it. I am lucky in that I can store my bike where I work in our underground garage. It pays to know the building maintenance guy, so I don't lose any garage space in the Winter with the bike. I'm jealous of all of you that are still riding. When I lived in California I rode year round.

Last edited by LakeLifePA; 01-13-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-16-2016, 06:25 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,035,456 times
Quote:
I will have to check them out, and yet comfort is paramount in the Winter.

I last hit the road at the end of December here, but it was over 50 degrees that day. It was nice to ride so late in the season. I usually won't kick back up until the middle of March, and I haven't bought any Winter gear this Winter either. I just bought a Jeep Cherokee as a Winter beater, and I have been kind of enjoying driving it. I am lucky in that I can store my bike where I work in our underground garage. It pays to know the building maintenance guy, so I don't lose any garage space in the Winter with the bike. I'm jealous of all of you that are still riding. When I lived in California I rode year round.
You could go to battery powered stuff too! I ride if the roads aren't icy. If your commute is more than 30 minutes you need heated gear. 15 minutes or less you could just layer up. I find that heated gloves and a good textile jacket with layers underneath, and winter pants are good.

Last year, my commute was 45-50 minutes the heated gear helped me out a lot. When it snows, I rent a car or Uber. Car rentals are cheaper per day by the week. I don't own a car.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:40 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Water cooled engines take care of that for the most part. Not too many bikes made for the USA that are air and/or oil cooled anymore. My sport bikes never have an issue in stop and go with the heat, but it still sucks to get your privates roasted when it's hot out...
Harley Davidson is made right here in the USA and most of the brand is not water cooled. Maybe Indian is the same?

Old 02-25-2016, 02:32 PM

902 posts, read 1,107,853 times
I commute on mine when the temp is between 55-85 degrees, dry pavement & not raining

so about 30 days a year here in Fargo

the 4x4 gets alot more use than the bike in ND

Old 03-18-2016, 08:56 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,346,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Harley Davidson is made right here in the USA and most of the brand is not water cooled. Maybe Indian is the same?
Even HD is changing their mind:

2014 Harleys Debut 1st Liquid-Cooled Tourers - Motorcycle USA

Old 03-18-2016, 11:12 PM

39,889 posts, read 26,566,286 times
About 25 degrees the last two mornings. Yesterday had fog on part of it...bummer with the layer of ice on the visor. Worth it, beautiful later in the day though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles