Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:48 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,447,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And what may be another plus, no pesky final drive to worry about.
Umm... I don't know of a motorcycle out there that doesn't have Some sort of final drive...

...and the F650 is a chain, just like the EX500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 03:29 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,672,796 times
Quote:
Nice bikes those 100RTs, fun on a backroad and real mile eaters when you need them to be.

If you haven't found it already I'd suggest: IBMWR - BMW Motorcycle Mailing List, lots of good info to be found there.
Need to spread some points, Im told, but thank you . . . Im going to check that out right now!

Old 09-07-2015, 06:40 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,539,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Umm... I don't know of a motorcycle out there that doesn't have Some sort of final drive...

I guess I just got used to calling that lump on BMWs that often spits out metal fragments when you change the oil the final drive.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:04 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,411,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

Correction - the F650CS is belt driven

Old 09-07-2015, 09:00 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,447,997 times
Ah, misread GS (Gee) instead of CS (Sea)...

Still have to worry about it though, just less than a chain.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:27 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,172,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
In a couple months, I'll be riding another company's BMW GS1200A 3,000 miles through South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, and Zimbabwe. A support vehicle will be somewhere behind the group (of bikers). That's called "risk mitigation," by shifting it to another party. After watching a friend destroy his Triumph Tiger on the Haul Roads north of Fairbanks, many years ago, I will never go on a trip in harsh conditions using my own equipment, where-feasible.

Looking forward to it, and will be interesting to see ups and downs of GS Adventure when used the way they're supposed to (some pavement, some gravel). If it explodes, I'm going to hand the key to the support truck and ask for another one to ride.
Bit of a tangent, yet relevant to the opening question: Just spent three weeks riding a 2015 R1200GS through near-3K miles of gravel and pavement in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, and Zimbabwe (mentioned in quote above). Party included Charley Boorman and Billy Ward, our guides (or "cowboys keeping an eye on the herd", as I called it). This was hard though not extreme riding, the acid test for a BMW GS in their ideal environment!

Didn't know what to expect, part of the fun for-sure. Bottom line: I was quite impressed with the ability of the latest GS to:

- Consume major miles on gravel roads (and paved roads) while being very comfortable for my 5'11" self. I fit most bigger bikes well, reasonably strong and sturdy.

- Enjoyable engine: good power, incredible ability to be caught in a weird gear and still recover without bogging! Tractor! I'm guessing 105-110hp at the wheel, seat-of-pants horsepower meter (educated guess, in other words).

- Lighter than expected, though still a liter bike. 525 lbs full of fuel, claimed. Seems about right, again my educated guess based on throwing liter bikes around street, track, and occasional gravel for many years.

- Pushed hard, encountered zero mechanical problems other than flats in our group. They were just broken in when we started, though, so that may not be a fair assessment of quality! Started with 1K on odo, ended with 5,750 (Km).

- Electronics kept us mostly out of trouble, even on dirt/gravel. I think those are "Premium Package" things on these bikes: touring aids, full electronics.

- Cruise control and tire pressure warning information are both quite useful. See above.

Overall, I came away very impressed with the GS. I even dumped it a few times (in the sand) at low speed to round out the experience! They can be picked up quickly, too, if you know the trick.

I started the trip expecting one of three outcomes for the bike in-particular: 1) disappointed 2) neutral 3) impressed. Outcome was actually no. 3. I am reasonably sure the ideal use case for these bikes is precisely what I did (along with a number of compatriots): improved gravel roads, medium to high speeds, distance, with ability to also function well on the pavement and in urban environments.

The GS was closest to a do-everything bike I've ever experienced, if the emphasis is as much gravel as pavement. Invert that paradigm, I continue to believe Ducati Multistrada is the better option. I have a Multistrada Pike's Peak, for that very reason.

These were more than competent offroad bikes, living up to the reputation in Africa riding. Didn't or wouldn't do goat-trails on such bikes, but on two-track and moderate to fast gravel roads (multitude of surface types), running knobbies (didn't catch the brand), they were impressive indeed.

When it is time to trade in my Multistrada, c. 2018 (reasonable guess), I will carefully consider a GS or GS Adventure based on my needs at that time. I still would not bet the store on their quality, but confirm they are super-competent motorcycles for the described conditions. I'd ride one the length of Namibia again, Caprivi back to Noordoewer (border with SA), in a heartbeat.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:58 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,180,593 times
Default You don't want the K1200 LT............

You are headed for the same maint nightmares you had with the car. It is a jungle to work on......many complicated systems. If you want to really convince yourself you're making a mistake........take 25 minutes and watch this BMW tech tell you all about the LT.............lol........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxbO...MbWdfy&index=3

Old 10-18-2015, 02:47 PM

Im pretty happy with mine so far. Its too big and heavy for in-town stuff though. Had no idea what a heifer it was going to be.
For 22 years old, still rides very well. Its strange for me because HD twins didnt mind leaving it in third gear and torquing through traffic. The power was all down low. The BMW likes to rev. It is at its smoothest at 80mph. In traffic, you are rowing the shifter between 1st and second, only. It isnt as fast as my YZF 600, but it goes when you twist it on. So, semi-fast, very comfortable, easy to work on, Im happy with it so far
Who woulda thought ?!?!?!?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:44 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,539,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Im pretty happy with mine so far. Its too big and heavy for in-town stuff though. Had no idea what a heifer it was going to be.
For 22 years old, still rides very well. Its strange for me because HD twins didnt mind leaving it in third gear and torquing through traffic. The power was all down low. The BMW likes to rev. It is at its smoothest at 80mph. In traffic, you are rowing the shifter between 1st and second, only. It isnt as fast as my YZF 600, but it goes when you twist it on. So, semi-fast, very comfortable, easy to work on, Im happy with it so far
Who woulda thought ?!?!?!?
At one time I had the chance to ride about everything they made and often had the feeling if I covered up the speedo and just went where I felt comfortable I'd be within 1-2 mph of 80, they all seemed to have that sweet spot around 80.

BTW, if it's the 1100RT you're riding you can replace the intake tubes with those from a GS/R and gain a little more bottom end grunt as mentioned in the IBMWR tech forums, I did so on an 1100RS and was pleased with the result.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
At one time I had the chance to ride about everything they made and often had the feeling if I covered up the speedo and just went where I felt comfortable I'd be within 1-2 mph of 80, they all seemed to have that sweet spot around 80.

BTW, if it's the 1100RT you're riding you can replace the intake tubes with those from a GS/R and gain a little more bottom end grunt as mentioned in the IBMWR tech forums, I did so on an 1100RS and was pleased with the result.

Thanks Burdell!
No, it is in fact an 1100RS! A 1994. Im going to look in to this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles