Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 05:16 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,668,356 times

Advertisements

Itchy to get what will probably be my last MC, ever, I have looked at/spoken to a dealership about a BMW they have for sale. I never drank the german engineering Kool Aid, except the one flavored "Maico", , but I am sort of intrigued with the unknown. Just consumed this whole thread, and *Yikes!!!!!* I think will probably pass.
The thought of final drive failure in West Virginia or BF Tennessee is not very endearing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 05:37 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,397,498 times
BMW wasn't even on my radar until I happened to rent one on a recent trip. I think it wasn't two days after getting home that my Kawasaki was placed on Craiglist. I've since picked up a BMW and haven't looked back. What a brilliant machine!

Old 09-05-2015, 10:01 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
BMW wasn't even on my radar until I happened to rent one on a recent trip. I think it wasn't two days after getting home that my Kawasaki was placed on Craiglist. I've since picked up a BMW and haven't looked back. What a brilliant machine!
Just curious, from what Kaw model to which BMW model did you go?

Old 09-05-2015, 11:35 AM

For some reason Im stile intrigued by them. So much info to try to wade through. I was going to drive to Chatanooga to buy a K-Brick, but the logistics of doing that on Labor Day weekend made it a no-go. Closer to home there are a few on CL I want to check out. I guess Im falling for the romantic view of them, touring the country etc . . . I do know that for every problem people have with them, you can type that problem into google, but substitute "BMW" with "Kawasaki" or whatever, and you will get the same amount of people with the same problem.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Just curious, from what Kaw model to which BMW model did you go?
From a Ninja 500R to an F650CS. Now I have fuel injection, ABS, heated grips, handguards, a topcase trunk and a stuffbay storage space in front, a more comfortable upright seating position and a better overall feeling ride than the Ninja, especially noticeable when riding 2up and on the freeway.

It isn't quite as nice as the F700GS I rented but I wasn't quite ready to throw down for one of those (it may be in my future though).

Old 09-05-2015, 06:13 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,437,690 times
That Rotax engine is superb, but MAN are oil changes a PITA. If you haven't already found it, the Chain Gang (oh, looks like they've changed names) has a TON of helpful FAQ info: F650.com Home

Old 09-05-2015, 10:23 PM

I had my local dealer perform the first oil change just because the bike was due for a tune-up anyway but I'll probably try doing the next one since dealer service isn't exactly cheap (probably the biggest downside of owning a BMW).

Old 09-06-2015, 08:36 AM

Going to look at a 94 r1100rt this week. It has had a new clutch and drive train serviced. I like that its a smaller touring model. The plastic doesnt need to be pulled to service the motor. When I got my Harleys, people told me all horror stories of wht their brothers, cousins, sisters Mom had go wrong with one, they lost their head in a fiery ball of flaming flames etc, etc, but my HD experience (Sportster and FXST) was 100% positive. Boringly reliable, fun to ride Hopefully the same with the BMW?

Old 09-06-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
From a Ninja 500R to an F650CS. Now I have fuel injection, ABS, heated grips, handguards, a topcase trunk and a stuffbay storage space in front, a more comfortable upright seating position and a better overall feeling ride than the Ninja, especially noticeable when riding 2up and on the freeway.
And what may be another plus, no pesky final drive to worry about.

Quote:
It isn't quite as nice as the F700GS I rented but I wasn't quite ready to throw down for one of those (it may be in my future though).
Good luck with it, there's a whole bunch positive to be said for the smaller/lighter end of the motorcycle spectrum that is all too often overlooked.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Going to look at a 94 r1100rt this week. It has had a new clutch and drive train serviced. I like that its a smaller touring model. The plastic doesnt need to be pulled to service the motor. When I got my Harleys, people told me all horror stories of wht their brothers, cousins, sisters Mom had go wrong with one, they lost their head in a fiery ball of flaming flames etc, etc, but my HD experience (Sportster and FXST) was 100% positive. Boringly reliable, fun to ride Hopefully the same with the BMW?
Nice bikes those 100RTs, fun on a backroad and real mile eaters when you need them to be.

If you haven't found it already I'd suggest: IBMWR - BMW Motorcycle Mailing List, lots of good info to be found there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles