Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:08 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,521,126 times

Advertisements

So I am 20 and when I was a kid I remember I was obsessed with Titanic and stuff. Then later on I became obsessed with boats and ships and other forms of water craft. Now I would like to know from you guys what is it like to own a boat? Have you ever gone out in the ocean with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
The allure of open water takes many forms.

With a boat, there's lots of opportunities for adventure ... for fishing, for just being out on the water, for distance travels, for freedom, for an escape. Some folk race their boats, some travel to distant places (no matter how near or far), some just putter around close to home. Some live aboard full time. Some cruise favorite resort areas. Some just like to dream about what could be and work on their boats most of the time. Some just dream and keep their boats in storage on in a slip where it might be used if they ever got around to it.

Some risk all to face the open water challenges. Most survive, most enjoy the experience. Some, like the 4 fellows on a sailboat returning this week from the Carib back to England encounter situations which turn serious, if not deadly.

How being around boats will be for each is a deeply personal experience. IMO, there's only one way to tell, and that's to get on a boat and experience it for yourself.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I had several boats when younger from John boats to bass boats to final a center console. All for fishing. I enjoy all of them but they took maintainance. Not as much as a car as most work I did myself. I loved them; just at 66 the upkeep is too much .But I still have younger guys I go out with. Some call them a hole in the water but such a nice hole; IMO. Kind of the same enjoyment I had when a teen with my 57 chevyy; really.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,590 times
.........and you get to pull that Captains hat out of the closet and finally wear it.......

Old 05-21-2014, 08:54 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,589 times
BOAT is just an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand

The 2 happiest days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
What's it like?

A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into!

I have never been on the ocean in a boat, but on lakes and rivers. Sitting out there to me is not a lot of fun, but I like cruising and water skiing.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 5,916 times
Know what are the two happiest days in a boat owners life? The day he buys it and the day he sells it. Oops sorry, RyanR, didn't see your post but we are thinking alike and probably have both owned boats.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:19 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,659,555 times
I had bass boats for the last 20 years ,love them, but I use my boat more than most people do. I'm fortunate enough to live where I can use it year round.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 PM

166 posts, read 243,945 times
Every owner and experience is different. I have a pontoon boat and use it almost every weekend from May - Sept. We hang out, swim, tube, fish and camp with it. We get our moneys worth out of it for sure.

Some people buy a boat so they can say they have one and use it very little except to show off. We use ours to make memories and family fun.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Be sure a boat is something you will use on a regular basis or it will end up being a marina queen or something permanently parked beside your house once the novelty of boating wears off, you might want to look into renting a boat for the first summer or two.
My brother had visions of living on a boat and sailing around the world so he bought a 48ft twin mast mid 70's Colvin Gazelle.sailboat that needed a few repairs,well he hasnt got around to doing the repairs and the boat has now been sitting in his back yard for 15 years

I'm sure this is what he had in mind.
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/att...rig-colvin.jpg

Meet reality
http://www.sailingtexas.com/Picsb/piccolvin42ac.jpg

Last edited by jambo101; 06-20-2014 at 04:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles