Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:36 AM

69 posts, read 118,733 times

Advertisements

I don't miss owning a boat. This year our local lake, which is 1/2 hr. away, had an algae bloom and was basically unusable for 2 months. Glad I sold it at the beginning of the year. Too much work IMO. Rent one 2x a year, You'll be WAY ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 09:35 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,134,134 times
This is what boat stands for bust out another thousand $$$.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:44 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,282,321 times
From experience with my family members buying boats. Its buying a used boat with a beat up engine that ends up being the bad news.

Engines are pretty expensive and old ones seems to be very problematic.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:16 PM

6,741 posts, read 4,431,979 times
The most happiest of times. When you get rid of it.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:14 AM

276 posts, read 339,032 times
Just realized the other day...

That saying: "The two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it."

Sounds to me like a boat owner is guaranteed to be happy at least twice!

Old 08-26-2016, 01:13 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,123,243 times
Haven't had my own boat in decades but liked them when I had them. They're pretty much a hobby like anything else and if treated that way, they can be good fun. I preferred sailing to power boating, especially in blue water. Sailing gets you really involved with the boat, what it needs and what you need to do and keep an eye on. Power boating has you trying to defeat the water rather than working with it, I never got comfortable with that.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:36 PM

6,741 posts, read 4,431,979 times
Most people get the boat bug. Then down the road, boat is sold and your out thousands of dollars. Lesson learned.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:11 AM

769 posts, read 720,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Haven't had my own boat in decades but liked them when I had them. They're pretty much a hobby like anything else and if treated that way, they can be good fun. I preferred sailing to power boating, especially in blue water. Sailing gets you really involved with the boat, what it needs and what you need to do and keep an eye on. Power boating has you trying to defeat the water rather than working with it, I never got comfortable with that.
I disagree with your comment about power boating & trying to defeat the water. I owned a power boat for years. You must work with & respect the elements of the waters you're on. Safety is always #1 & learning how to pilot the boat safely requires instruction, listening, awareness, water observation, practice & being diligent about your responsibility.

Perhaps the power boaters you knew weren't so educated in these ways? Or just didn't care. There are pkenty of thoae around.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:50 AM

4,491 posts, read 3,939,633 times
I don't understand some of the negative comments about "the 2 happiest days are when you buy a boat and when you sell it". I've owned a sailboat continuously since 1984. First a 30 footer and now a 36 footer. I dock it in Marina del Rey in L.A.. Taking her out for a sail or even just an evening harbor cruise is wonderful. I admit that I don't sail as often as I used to, but even sitting in the slip is like being on a mini-vacation. Now, if I had a boat on a trailer that I had to tow to the water and launch, I wouldn't like it. But mine is like a condo on the water. Two bedrooms, one bath, kitchen, internet, TV.....it's like a home away from home.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:38 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,479,159 times
The ideal situation IMO is having friends with boats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles