Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,437,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
so do you think salesmen at dealerships should verify experience and refuse to sell a newbie a 1000? Or is their job just solely to sell a bike regardless of whether or not the buyer has experience?

I wonder how many people actually go into a dealership, have very little experience riding motorcycles and go out and buy a liter bike (1000RR, GSXR1000, R1 etc.)

Do I think dealerships ought to be held liable for sales pressure? Absolutely.. but I also think that insurance companies shouldn't punish me because other dumbasses opt to ride without proper protective gear. What *I* think doesn't mean anything.

This is the real world, ultimate responsibility lays with the individual. Too dumb to do some homework about the worst options for a first bike, take whatever comes your way. I say this from a position of using a Honda CB1100F as my first bike... I survived that experience somehow, but learned fast and went to a VF500f for my second. If I would have had someone like myself as a mentor/commentator (an ashole who won't stop trying to get people to smarten up about their choices in motorcycles/gear/accessories), maybe I would have saved myself a whole lot of money and headache. Thankfully, at least I was smart enough to buy a helmet before riding the first time and had a good jacket within a month after that... still could have lost my hands, legs, or life (I was doing 100+ the very first night, after going to the bar, on dark Montana roads where deer were an issue).

*shrug* It's like college... you go in thinking you know it all and come out realizing you know nothing. As the saying goes, there are old riders and bold riders, but there are Zero old and bold riders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 04:46 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,183,135 times
There are plenty of old and bold riders out there. I used to ride with the local dual sport greybeards and those guys ride fast and hard.....when conditions permit. Bold is one thing, stupid is another.

You prepare the bike, you prepare yourself, you read the road, you make the decision to be as bold as you can get away with, and live to ride another day.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,437,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I used to ride with the local dual sport greybeards and those guys ride fast and hard.....when conditions permit. Bold is one thing, stupid is another.
That's not bold (I've ridden with these type myself), that's just skilled from honing themselves over Years.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:11 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,723,712 times
Quote:
so do you think salesmen at dealerships should verify experience and refuse to sell a newbie a 1000? Or is their job just solely to sell a bike regardless of whether or not the buyer has experience?

I wonder how many people actually go into a dealership, have very little experience riding motorcycles and go out and buy a liter bike (1000RR, GSXR1000, R1 etc.)
When I bought my FZ6 (first bike), I was sitting on a ZX-14 waiting for paperwork and whatnot. It was pretty comfortable, if not big. The salesman laughed and flat out told me if I'd tried to buy it, they'd have looked at me like I was nuts and shooed me out the door. They wouldn't sell big bikes to first timers. He was the one that pointed me at the FZ in the first place, and I'm glad he did. I learned alot on that bike and it was still fun to ride, right up until I laid it down for its first and only time.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,188 times
in my opinion, if you have experience on any kind of hand clutch vehicle and can ride a bicycle, then you have a chance starting out on a 1000. the guy in the vid posted a few times above has a 1000 but it's not a superbike. a cbr1000rr is a hell of a bike, a lot of power, and just a small flick of the wrist will put you on the pavement, a 600 would be better only because the throttle isn't as touchy and it is easier to maneuver, but honestly anyone with common sense and the basic knowledge of how to ride a motorcycle will do fine. Yeah they will still probably end up dead or seriously injured because you cannot own a rocket and ride it like a cruiser... Good Luck

Old 10-18-2014, 03:48 PM

6,741 posts, read 4,431,979 times
[quote=redrocket2;33036627]Someone I know wants to get into riding and is considering a new Honda CBR1000RR to start out. Anyone here start out riding on this class of bike and it turned out fine? I recommended a Ninja 300 but he is bent on the 1000RR due to it's looks.

Tell him to get LOTS OF INSURANCE, and make me the beneficiary.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:07 PM

21,898 posts, read 25,219,750 times
[quote=xsthomas;36929441]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
Someone I know wants to get into riding and is considering a new Honda CBR1000RR to start out. Anyone here start out riding on this class of bike and it turned out fine? I recommended a Ninja 300 but he is bent on the 1000RR due to it's looks.

Tell him to get LOTS OF INSURANCE, and make me the beneficiary.
Or you could just take out the insurance on him yourself.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,040,142 times
Quote:
So is a 600 a good starter bike?
The only 600 I would reccomend as a starter is a Katana 600.

No, supersport bikes are not good learners. The main issue is how unforgiving they are of riders giving the wrong inputs to the bike controls (throttle, steering, leaning, weight distribution, braking).

Learner bikes have less severe rakes, lean angles, smaller tires and will respond more favorably if you enter a turn incorrectly or decide to make a velocity adjustment at a bad time.

A supersport 600 or a 1000 will put you on your ass (or into that tree/curb/oncoming car) much faster.

It is better to make your rookie mistakes on a rookie bike.... and ALL new riders make lots of mistakes.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:30 AM

769 posts, read 1,016,660 times
a litre RR bike has a power to weight ratio that is just too much to handle for a first time rider.

My first street bike was a BMW K1200RS with 130hp, but the throttle response is nothing compared to a litre RR bike and my clutch is hydrualic like a car, not wet multiplate like on the RR bikes. the BMW also has a paralever drive shaft, so no wheelies or wheelspin. just power to ground, unlike the chain driven japanese bikes. More refined, not as flashy. A more conservative approach to bike builds.

I did start out riding motorcross as a kid and rode mopeds for many years as a teenager and I still had to really take my time and figure out the dynamics of my bike because it scared me for the first two months of riding it, being that it is 700 pounds wet, my biggest fear was dropping it.

I recently rode a friends Honda 954 RR and that bike so much faster and more capable than my BMW 1200, although the beamer is a lot more comfortable and is a long distance highway bike.

A perfect starter bike is a Suzuki SV650. Easy to control, easy to repair and the resale is good for when he gets sick of it after 4 months and needs something more sporty and powerful.

The trouble with litre RR bikes that there is no holding back. Way too too fast and powerful for a beginner. A lot of guys want to be badasses and showoff and keep up with their other biker friends, and the margin for error is so slim on a larger litre RR bike.

Two guys I know in their early thirties bought 1000RR's as their first and both totaled them. One was a GSXR 10000 and he let it go at 60 mph when an elderly female driver at an intersection pulled in front of him. Luckily just bruises and scratches.

The other friend bought a brand new GSR1000 and dumped it driving out of the dealer onto the main road. He didn't have any appreciation for the throttle response and the front wheel lifted off the ground. He didn't have his right foot on the brake and couldn't get the front of the bike down, and was rear ended. Broken collarbone and four cracked vertibrae in his lower back. He was hospitalized for a month after the accident. Bike was totaled.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,183,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
a litre RR bike has a power to weight ratio that is just too much to handle for a first time rider.

My first street bike was a BMW K1200RS with 130hp, but the throttle response is nothing compared to a litre RR bike and my clutch is hydrualic like a car, not wet multiplate like on the RR bikes. the BMW also has a paralever drive shaft, so no wheelies or wheelspin. just power to ground, unlike the chain driven japanese bikes. More refined, not as flashy. A more conservative approach to bike builds.
Paralever bikes can wheelie quite well, I used to do it on a R1150GS and one of the guys I used to ride with could ride up the streets of Dawson on one wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zvSWLH2OxE

I ride one of these, and sometimes the dang thing falls over in the parking lot, I can't imagine wheelying this bike.

Last edited by GnomadAK; 10-26-2014 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles