Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:01 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,195,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
Someone I know wants to get into riding and is considering a new Honda CBR1000RR to start out. Anyone here start out riding on this class of bike and it turned out fine? I recommended a Ninja 300 but he is bent on the 1000RR due to it's looks.
Your buddy has a death wish. I know somebody who started out on a 600 without any prior experience riding motorcycles. He is now crippled for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 02:12 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
I suggest he give up his Valentineo Rossi wanna be wishes until he learns to ride and gets some experience. Start with a 500 to 650 cc universal bike about 5 years old or so. He also needs as a beginner to use All The Gear All the Time. I have been riding for over 40 years and still pay a lot of attention.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,621,366 times
Quote:
the one thing to consider about this guy is that he is an older gentleman at 36 yrs old. He is not some young punk with an ego.

He is also an avid bicyclist and has done 50+ milers on bicycles and I know those bicyclists can reach speeds on 20-30mph downhill so in that regard I feel he has some grasp of balance and reacting quick to situations.

The fact that he's 36 and doesn't see this as a bad idea makes him look even worst.

Go carts can go pretty fast, I guess that means someone could handle a Ferrari as their first car.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
Age is far less important than direct experience. I suggest a used 650 to 800 cc dual purpose of road bike before the rocket ship. Thirty mph crash on a narrow tire bicycle can be dangerous but not likely deadly. An 130 mph high side off a road rocket is likely to get the rider killed even with all the gear.

Once he gets experience and a lot of training he should try anything over 1,000 cc made by Ducati.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 AM

109 posts, read 279,464 times
A friend of mine jumped in on the R-1 craze here around 10 yrs ago and had never ever rode any two-wheeler in his life other than a bicycle, needless to say the first day was the end of the bike and the beginning of a life long limp.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:40 PM

79 posts, read 140,034 times
I know this girl who wanted to get a Hayabusa for her first bike...I am dead serious. Her logic? well, she had always loved that bike and wanted to just buy what she liked. She went to the showroom and the sales guys flat out refused to sell it to her LMAO! A few weeks later when I saw her again she had ended up buying a Ninja 250, I was in shock how or WHO had got her to change her mind from a Hayabusa to a 250 LOL!! But good for her.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:43 PM

78,568 posts, read 60,772,556 times
For every 40 or so registered super sport bikes in the US, 1 rider dies each year.

That's an appalling death rate.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,251,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
For every 40 or so registered super sport bikes in the US, 1 rider dies each year.

That's an appalling death rate.
I didn't think that sounded right.

The fatality rates for cruiser and "standard" riders rank the lowest, at 5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles. Touring bikes, such as the Harley example, averaged 6.5 deaths, with sport bikes totaling 10.7 deaths per 10,000.

Motorcycle death rates doubled; supersport bikes the most dangerous

A little more info, from the IIHS:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ar-record-high

Old 02-08-2014, 02:35 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,111,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
lol, take out a life insurance policy on him and tell his folks to do the same (a simple/cheap term policy will do, it won't take long till he kills himself, though there's always the possibility of just going brain-dead and leaving behind a couple million in medical bills).

One could not Possibly find a WORSE first bike. I say that with 20+ years of riding, racing, wrenching professionally (and the lions share of my business is from crashed sportbikes) and watching people make this mistake over and over again. It's sad to watch people kill and maim themselves, but most will inist on doing it regardless of what You do. I've taken to just telling those people that I won't have anything to do with them/riding/motorcycles if they make bad choices. Sometimes that pressure works (and they thank me many years later), sometimes it doesn't.
hyabusa might be worse but ya pretty bad choice there

Old 02-08-2014, 02:40 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,111,224 times
Quote:
well, there are a few videos stating that a 1000 is not out of question as a first road bike:

Should you get a liter bike as your first bike? - YouTube

Thoughts?
its not like getting a 1000cc bike is a sure fire death sentence. i started out on a 800cc having never ridden not knowing how to shift or even drive manual, etc. that said i also started out on abandoned roads and didn't venture out into traffic until I was comfrotable, also had seassoned riders with me teaching me.

this guy in the video is in bufu kentucky so not driving in traffic, more margin for error, also he sounds older so not young and dumb with teh temptation to speed and i believe he says first road bike but he had ridden dirtbikes or something when younger i stopped vid beore that part.all those things play to his advantage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles