Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,060,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
The reason is American psychology. Bigger is better regardless of what's enough to do the job. Virtually every motorcycle Sold in the US is a larger/heavier bike because that's what people Want, what they see in advertising, movies, TV ~ that right there is going to screw up any qualitative analysis (gee, look, I see mostly heavy bikes, therefor they must be the best!) There's no Functional reason why people are buying those bikes, you've even said yourself that a ~13hp motor (a CB200 on a good day) is plenty to do everything that you Need to do on all but limited access highways in the US. And I know from over a decade of personal experience, along with a decade of experience combined from thousands of online users, that 30hp (Ninja 250) is enough to not only break every speed limit in the US, but happily sustain whatever speed the "flow of traffic" is doing with power in reserve. And the bike can do that with no issues for right about 100k miles before the timing chain is stretched to the end of it's useful life (not easily replacable, cheaper to just buy another engine).
Yet again, it is NOT the ability to go the speed limit that is the question. I don't know how many times I have to say that.

And I know it'll fall on deaf ears, but I'll ask the question anyway: Have you ever ridden I-29 from Omaha to Winnepeg, dealing with the always-present 30-40 mph prairie cross winds? If you haven't, you'll never understand why people (who ride long distances) choose heavy cruisers. And that is just one of the reasons.

That's pretty much the end of the story.

Ride what you like, like what you ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 10:57 AM

18,471 posts, read 7,112,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
The reason is American psychology. Bigger is better regardless of what's enough to do the job. Virtually every motorcycle Sold in the US is a larger/heavier bike because that's what people Want, what they see in advertising, movies, TV ~ that right there is going to screw up any qualitative analysis (gee, look, I see mostly heavy bikes, therefor they must be the best!) There's no Functional reason why people are buying those bikes, you've even said yourself that a ~13hp motor (a CB200 on a good day) is plenty to do everything that you Need to do on all but limited access highways in the US. And I know from over a decade of personal experience, along with a decade of experience combined from thousands of online users, that 30hp (Ninja 250) is enough to not only break every speed limit in the US, but happily sustain whatever speed the "flow of traffic" is doing with power in reserve. And the bike can do that with no issues for right about 100k miles before the timing chain is stretched to the end of it's useful life (not easily replacable, cheaper to just buy another engine).

Switching from that 250 to a Concours 1000 (something else I have right now) yields me 2 things, a ton more weight to fight at city-speeds and a little more physical room for 2-up comfort (but I'm also 6'4" and 250lbs). It doesn't do highway any better, is decidedly Less enjoyable to ride, drinks substantially more fuel, would have been more expensive to buy new... it just doesn't have much going for it. The same can be said of all the bigger/heavier bikes. They May be a smidge more stable in really hairy cross winds, like what you find near the front of a semi at 80mph in 60mph cross-winds (I-80 in Wyoming, FWIW), but just having a relaxed riding position and not a death-grip on the bike virtually eliminates that difference.

Same is true of cars ~ mine came fro the factory with 90hp. It'll maintain 85ph, on cruise, uphill, over 8k foot passes without issue. What more is needed? It's comfortable, fits my large physical size (with room for 3 passengers and their stuff) ~ so why are SUV's and double-cab trucks such the rage? Yes, I know some are work vehicles ~ not taking about those, and that Some families have more than 4 people and need more seats, also ignoring those. I'm talking about the daily commuter, the single person, the couple without kids ~ you know, 90% of the drivers out there. It's just the mentality in the US.... what do I Want, not what's needed to get the job done. And even though you thought it was a stretch, I see the Exact same thing going on with McMansions. My dad was in a family of 5 and grew up in a house of roughly 1800 sq/ft, my wife is also from a family of 5 and grew up in a house of 1400sq/ft. According to recent trends, the US has recently set of a new record for new home sizes, of 2600sq/ft on AVERAGE.

It's just a pervasive issue... would you like to supersize that McMeal? Buy the All New 72" flat screen TV!! Come watch movies on the IMAX screen, it's Better! It's inescapable in the US, well it's inescapable for the sheeple who don't think about what they're buying and why. Once you meet the requirements needed to do the job you want done (in this case, the OP wanting a Vstar 650 for a first motorcycle, worst they could want to do is the Iron Butt Rally 2-up which is 11,000 miles in 11 days ~ bike needs to be able to sustain ~70mph, which it can do with the 35~40hp it puts to the ground), everything else is just a want. Yes, it'll be operating closer to the limits of its design parameters, but it's not like the bike would be on the ragged edge and how much overhead is needed?

I don't begrudge people who have the means to buy what they want and doing so. Everyone's free to make their own choice. But don't preach like that want is a need, it's just sad.

Some of this comes into play, sure.
But to chalk it all up to that is silly, there's more to it than engine size that makes a bike suitable for highway travel and suitable for all riders.
As I said, much of the V-Star 650's problems could be solved with a 6th gear.
It has enough power to drive a higher gear but for some reason Yamaha keeps the ratios too low and the thing is screaming on the highway as a result.

Also, as others have said, a heavier bike is more stable at speed and more comfortable on long distance riding.
I rode a 250 dual sport all over God's creation when I was in my 20's but my aging spine would never tolerate such silliness now looking at 50.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,031,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Some of this comes into play, sure.
But to chalk it all up to that is silly, there's more to it than engine size that makes a bike suitable for highway travel and suitable for all riders.
As I said, much of the V-Star 650's problems could be solved with a 6th gear.
It has enough power to drive a higher gear but for some reason Yamaha keeps the ratios too low and the thing is screaming on the highway as a result.

Also, as others have said, a heavier bike is more stable at speed and more comfortable on long distance riding.
I rode a 250 dual sport all over God's creation when I was in my 20's but my aging spine would never tolerate such silliness now looking at 50.
I don't think they're any question why they didn't put a sixth cog in the transmission...by having it limited as five speed they're able to keep you wishing for something they can develop for pennies and sell for dollars...aka, the next higher end bike with a six speed transmission, and slightly larger engine. Suddenly, the bike seems significantly more usable, has a broader range, and greater appeal, and while addition of that sixth gear didn't take any massive engineering accomplishment, they're able to sell that bike for a few thousand more than the one you pick up here.

I know I often wished I had a sixth gear on my Honda Magna. The cruiser styling really made you want to "loaf" down the highway, but it's "muscle cruiser" persona called for higher revs at 70+ mph...There were two things ironic though:

1. The 1st and 2nd generation of the Magna (82-88) had six speed transmissions, where-as the 3rd generation (94+) had five speed transmissions.

2. The sixth gear of the early Magnas was = to the fifth gear ratio of the later model bikes...essentially, you're RPM's were unchanged, unless there was a difference in rear sprockets/tire size combos.

So people often "wished" the later model bikes had a transmission from the earlier model bikes, without realizing that there'd be no change in highway ridability, but acceleration would improve from closer spaced gear ratios.

If memory serves me right, HD does the same with their 5 and 6 speed transmissions as well...but i'm not 100% on that.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:12 PM

41 posts, read 51,845 times
No.

The v-Star 650 is an overweight, underpowered, ill-handling turd, with crap brakes, crap tires, and crap suspension.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:24 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,111,224 times
i really like these bikes, love the look, like the low seat height. prices seems a bit high, especially being off season you could probably find a better deal but yeah good bike

Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMan59 View Post
Im looking to buy a bike and I found a 650cc V-Star for $3800 and it was 4K miles on it. I didn't know much about them, this would be my first bike... upgrading from a scooter. I was wondering if it was a good deal? and how many miles I could probably get out of it?
Some good answers in this thread. And some pretty awful ones. I was interested in your "upgrading from a scooter" quip, however. What exactly do you mean by that? If I were buying a bike today I'd be looking for a middleweight standard ... like a Triumph. But I would be seriously tempted by the big scooters like the Honda SilverWing or the Suzuki Burgmann 650. You don't upgrade from scooters like that. Many people 'upgrade' to them, from 'real' motorcycles when they get tired of bugs in their teeth, noise, and no storage capacity, except those awful cargo boxes I see strapped to the seats of nearly every bike in the Pacific Northwest. FWIW.

H

Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM

41 posts, read 51,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Some good answers in this thread. And some pretty awful ones. I was interested in your "upgrading from a scooter" quip, however. What exactly do you mean by that? If I were buying a bike today I'd be looking for a middleweight standard ... like a Triumph. But I would be seriously tempted by the big scooters like the Honda SilverWing or the Suzuki Burgmann 650. You don't upgrade from scooters like that. Many people 'upgrade' to them, from 'real' motorcycles when they get tired of bugs in their teeth, noise, and no storage capacity, except those awful cargo boxes I see strapped to the seats of nearly every bike in the Pacific Northwest. FWIW.

H
Exactly- the 75-horsepower Aprilia SRV850 scooter is a deadly threat to any stock air-cooled Harley-Briggs&Stratton.

And as you pointed out, there are many competent middleweight Standard-type motorcycles available.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 AM

21,900 posts, read 25,225,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Yet again, it is NOT the ability to go the speed limit that is the question. I don't know how many times I have to say that.

And I know it'll fall on deaf ears, but I'll ask the question anyway: Have you ever ridden I-29 from Omaha to Winnepeg, dealing with the always-present 30-40 mph prairie cross winds? If you haven't, you'll never understand why people (who ride long distances) choose heavy cruisers. And that is just one of the reasons.

That's pretty much the end of the story.

Ride what you like, like what you ride.
I've ridden down to LA when the Santa Ana's are gusting at 30-40 (up north where I live, we call them Diablo's). Is roughly 400 miles in a day with 30-40 mph crosswinds long distance? They're annoying but you deal with it. Lane positioning, stay loose, let it blow you around a bit (lane positioning). You'll obviously be blown around less with an 800 pound cruiser than a 400 pound sport bike.

When it gets up to gusts of 50+, I pull over or get off the freeway.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:40 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,035,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
Exactly- the 75-horsepower Aprilia SRV850 scooter is a deadly threat to any stock air-cooled Harley-Briggs&Stratton.

And as you pointed out, there are many competent middleweight Standard-type motorcycles available.
Too bad the Aprilia is not yet sold stateside. In the meantime Aprilia sells the Mana, same engine, but with CVT.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:10 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
Aprilia makes a 850 cc scooter? I have a 650 cc Burgman scooter that could "use?" some more power. Not really.

A friend and riding buddy is a 5' 8" woman that weighs around 135. She has a V-star 650 and loves to ride with me and some others. She is quite happy with the bike and the low seat cruiser configuration. When I, on the scooter, lead on the back roads, I have to keep the speed slower than when riding alone, so she can keep up. She believes in speed limit signs. I think they are guidelines.

There are lots of new and used motorcycles available in the 5 to 9 grand range. Find one that fits and have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles