Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 AM

833 posts, read 1,722,433 times

Advertisements

I'm retired and thinking about purchasing a reasonably priced motorcycle.

In the paper, there are usually several 1300 Hondas ( 2004-2006) listed with low miles,good condition, and around $5,000.

I would use it mostly for scenic drives where I live and ocassional 500 mile trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:24 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,400,954 times
Are you an experienced motorcycle rider? If not, a big cruiser might be more bike than you can easily handle - at least for now. You might want to consider buying something like a 500, or 750, to get some experience on.

That said, I assume you're talking about the VTX 1300. I've never heard anything bad about those motorcycles. A friend of mine has a VTX 1800, and absolutely loves it. The VTX 1300 should be a good heavy cruiser for your occasional road trip.

I don't know what bikes go for in your area, but the $5,000 price tag doesn't seem out of line. I've got an '05 Kawasaki 1500, with 25,000 miles, that is worth something like that.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 AM

34,277 posts, read 83,643,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
I would use it mostly for scenic drives where I live and occasional 500 mile trips.
If this translates to mostly under 200 mile days with an occasional overnighter
(as 98% of motorcycle riding really is) then a much smaller bike will prove to be more than adequate.

Even if you occasionally take a passenger with you...
or occasionally do a really long day...
a smooth 600cc+ anything will serve very nicely.

I like the Suzuki VStrom as the inheritor of the UJM mantle.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:31 PM

4,302 posts, read 4,434,550 times
I'm going to pick me up the new Honda NC700X this July. Assuming the test ride is sweet. The reviews about it are good though.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:49 PM

197 posts, read 300,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
I'm retired and thinking about purchasing a reasonably priced motorcycle.

In the paper, there are usually several 1300 Hondas ( 2004-2006) listed with low miles,good condition, and around $5,000.

I would use it mostly for scenic drives where I live and ocassional 500 mile trips.

WHICH 1300. If it's the STs be aware that some of 'em show a sensitivity to tires at high speeds , if you ride 'em hard you'll need to do the suspension.

They handle MUCH better than any 700lb scoot has a right to , the v-4 has exactly the right power characteristics for real world street rideing , most are as reliable as an axe save for the usual Honda regulator problems , fuel mileage sn't all that great when flogging it but kept closer to the speed limits it's reasonable , it's reasonably fast for a sportouring type rig and a good St thats properly setup is a ssmmmmoooth mile GOBBLING gotta be across the continent in three days scoot , in many ways the spiritual inheritor of the R90S and R100RS legacies.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Are you an experienced motorcycle rider? If not, a big cruiser might be more bike than you can easily handle - at least for now. You might want to consider buying something like a 500, or 750, to get some experience on.

Folks keep saying the above , thing is there really isn't all that much at the 500cc and 750cc levels , things have changed as regards the delineations nowadays.

Beginners need to look at the given model and riding class , not displacement ( within reason). And the vast majority of beginners should avoid "sport" bikes altogether , they'll be far , far better off on a mid-displacement dual purpose bike. In addition they will have the potential of getting a bit of off road experience , which will build skills that will become quite valuable on the street.

And larger sport bikes? UH UH , no way , no how , not a freaking chance. Forget the 600 class sport bikes too , the powerband can and will bite a novice who doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

And here's a basic truth for folks , it's a LOT more fun to ride a small bike hard at it's limits than to ride something hard that you can't reach it's limits.

And the guy that tells you that he is reaching the *limits* of a modern sport bike on the street.........is a LIAR. Go to a trackday and talk to the guys in A group that are actually getting it around and ask THEM if they're " at the limit".........they'll look at you like you're bloody nuts.

As an example , the fastest scoots in my shop around a given track aren't anywhere close to being the most FUN and the ones that are the most fun are the lowest on the horsepower scle , and ever one of 'em is more fun on the street than a freaking Liter Bike.

Most practical? My SV650 bitsa , mild motor build for mid 70s horsepower wise and an accessible torque curve , 03 Gixxer 1k front end and Galfer discs , Ohlins shock , suspension valved and set up by Catalyst Reaction.

40k on that motor now and I can still run 2:03s round Thunderhill one day like a walk in the park and then take a weeklong trip flogging it the next day.

You toss my GSXR1k round Thunderhill for a day at consisten 2:00s , maybe down into the :59s...........well you ain't doing much the next day except recover with your tube of BenGay.

And the 'Busa........forget it , tried that ONCE , it's an exercise in freaking pure TERROR on a road track , even with the boost turned down to 6 lbs.

On the other end is my XR650 r based motard , you would have to TRY to crash the thing , and if you get off in the dirt you just stay in the gas and start flat-tracking the thing , the most fun on two wheels under 60 horses. Absolute hooligan bike on the street though , you *WILL* commit juvenile traffic crimes , finding every excuse to slide it around , hack it in and wheelie etc.............

Last edited by RoninAmok; 06-02-2012 at 04:38 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Even if you occasionally take a passenger with you...
or occasionally do a really long day...
a smooth 600cc+ anything will serve very nicely.

I like the Suzuki VStrom as the inheritor of the UJM mantle.

THIS^^^^^ in both sizes. And for a "real world" scoot many folks should take a look at the KLR650.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:31 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,285,641 times
I would definitely recommend a smaller bike unless you have experience with larger bikes, perhaps a 750 or 600. Just backing up what e previous poster has said...Hondas are pretty awesome bikes though, my brothers both had one!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,400,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post
Folks keep saying the above , thing is there really isn't all that much at the 500cc and 750cc levels , things have changed as regards the delineations nowadays.
I'm not thinking of speed or power. I'm thinking of weight, and some of these big cruisers are extremely heavy - which makes them great cruisers. On the other hand, they can be pretty unwieldy for the novice rider.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 AM

39,969 posts, read 26,750,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post

Beginners need to look at the given model and riding class , not displacement ( within reason). And the vast majority of beginners should avoid "sport" bikes altogether , they'll be far , far better off on a mid-displacement dual purpose bike. In addition they will have the potential of getting a bit of off road experience , which will build skills that will become quite valuable on the street.

And larger sport bikes? UH UH , no way , no how , not a freaking chance. Forget the 600 class sport bikes too , the powerband can and will bite a novice who doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

And here's a basic truth for folks , it's a LOT more fun to ride a small bike hard at it's limits than to ride something hard that you can't reach it's limits.

And the guy that tells you that he is reaching the *limits* of a modern sport bike on the street.........is a LIAR. Go to a trackday and talk to the guys in A group that are actually getting it around and ask THEM if they're " at the limit".........they'll look at you like you're bloody nuts.

As an example , the fastest scoots in my shop around a given track aren't anywhere close to being the most FUN and the ones that are the most fun are the lowest on the horsepower scle , and ever one of 'em is more fun on the street than a freaking Liter Bike.

Most practical? My SV650 bitsa , mild motor build for mid 70s horsepower wise and an accessible torque curve , 03 Gixxer 1k front end and Galfer discs , Ohlins shock , suspension valved and set up by Catalyst Reaction.

40k on that motor now and I can still run 2:03s round Thunderhill one day like a walk in the park and then take a weeklong trip flogging it the next day.

You toss my GSXR1k round Thunderhill for a day at consisten 2:00s , maybe down into the :59s...........well you ain't doing much the next day except recover with your tube of BenGay.

And the 'Busa........forget it , tried that ONCE , it's an exercise in freaking pure TERROR on a road track , even with the boost turned down to 6 lbs.

On the other end is my XR650 r based motard , you would have to TRY to crash the thing , and if you get off in the dirt you just stay in the gas and start flat-tracking the thing , the most fun on two wheels under 60 horses. Absolute hooligan bike on the street though , you *WILL* commit juvenile traffic crimes , finding every excuse to slide it around , hack it in and wheelie etc.............
There is so much truth in what you wrote! I had a Kawi Concours for about 20 years. Decent long distance sport tourer, but I had gotten bored with it and rarely rode the last 10 years I had it. Finally sold it and picked up a DR650. I really enjoy being able to get out and explore the thousands of miles of forest service roads in my area...something the Connie was unsuited for. After a year, I traded "down" to a WR250R. That little 250 is a lot more fun on the dirt, and only a bit slower on pavement...though hills and headwinds take their toll at speeds over about 60. For playing in the woods, on ATV trails or exploring back roads, I really like this little bike. As many others have said, it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. Today's crop of sport bikes are really too much bike for probably 98% of riders.

If money permitted, I'd REALLY like a KTM690R. 2 1/2 times the power and nearly the same weight. I'm more likely to pick up a 650 Vstrom for my daily commuter/distance bike. I don't see the need for anything more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles