Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,052,762 times

Advertisements

http://youtu.be/06xtYcrryQE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 PM

22,014 posts, read 25,359,703 times
I need to start killing people and harvesting their bone marrow...

Old 08-08-2013, 03:24 PM

68,379 posts, read 54,619,138 times
My favorites were always the people who said "I don't need the gear, I don't ride fast"

While working in a shop I'd invite them to jog down the sidewalk in their shorts and T-shirt and take a nose dive, oddly enough no one ever took me up on it

Old 08-14-2013, 10:59 AM

8,404 posts, read 13,547,471 times
I can't decide which one costs less, $1500 or $30 million?

On a serious note, I don't think you need a $500+ helmet to be safer. I am pretty certain my $150 HJC helmet will do a comparable job to a $600 Arai/Shoei.
I recently got a Bohn adventure armored pants, and at $180, I think it was a wise investment.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:20 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,466,571 times
The only difference between a $300 Arai/Shoei and a $600 helmet are the graphics. I don't think I've spent more than $350 on an Arai in 20 years, of course most of those have been black or white, one red helmet (the expensive one).

But you're right, the HJC helmets are good when it comes to crash protection they just suck to wear for a long time (scratchy liner, weighs a ton, only 2 helmet shell sizes, venting that either doesn't close 100% so it leaks cold air when cold/rain when wet or doesn't flow hardly anything at all to begin with) comfort things that add up when you're trying to do a 1000 mile long weekend. $100 seems to be right about the limit of the functional helmets though.

And one could get into good gear for $500 new (MC specific boots, pants, jacket, gloves and helmet), if you didn't mind shopping from last years closeouts and taking what was available.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:38 PM

68,379 posts, read 54,619,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I can't decide which one costs less, $1500 or $30 million?

On a serious note, I don't think you need a $500+ helmet to be safer. I am pretty certain my $150 HJC helmet will do a comparable job to a $600 Arai/Shoei.
I recently got a Bohn adventure armored pants, and at $180, I think it was a wise investment.
There have been some good arguments made by doctors that DOT helmets may actually be safer than Snell approved ones. IIRC the point was that Snell standards require two hits in the exact same spot, something very unlikely in a real world accident, requiring a stiffer crushable foam that transmits more Gs to your head than a helmet meeting only DOT standards.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:00 PM

8,404 posts, read 13,547,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
The only difference between a $300 Arai/Shoei and a $600 helmet are the graphics. I don't think I've spent more than $350 on an Arai in 20 years, of course most of those have been black or white, one red helmet (the expensive one).

But you're right, the HJC helmets are good when it comes to crash protection they just suck to wear for a long time (scratchy liner, weighs a ton, only 2 helmet shell sizes, venting that either doesn't close 100% so it leaks cold air when cold/rain when wet or doesn't flow hardly anything at all to begin with) comfort things that add up when you're trying to do a 1000 mile long weekend. $100 seems to be right about the limit of the functional helmets though.

And one could get into good gear for $500 new (MC specific boots, pants, jacket, gloves and helmet), if you didn't mind shopping from last years closeouts and taking what was available.
Some models are lower end and heavier, you are right but the model I bought that have an MSRP close to $200 or above, have been very decent both in comfort and functionality. I finally retired my first HJC CL-15 helmet I got in 2006 couple of years ago which is still in usable condition but the removable lining got old and instead of paying for new, I decided to buy a new helmet. I have 2 CL-16s I cycle between, a $400 Joe Rocket Kevlar helmet made by HJC which I got under $200, a Scorpio Exo-700, a nice flip-up Z1R, a Masei Monster and Bell Rogue helmet for looks that I use for short, local rides.

I use the HJC helmets almost all the time. They are comfy, functional and have adequate ventilation for So Cal weather. I typically ride in temperatures between low 40s and high 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
There have been some good arguments made by doctors that DOT helmets may actually be safer than Snell approved ones. IIRC the point was that Snell standards require two hits in the exact same spot, something very unlikely in a real world accident, requiring a stiffer crushable foam that transmits more Gs to your head than a helmet meeting only DOT standards.
I have read about many different arguments/research on that as well. Snell impact requirements are indeed a bit out there and since it contradicts with what a mc helmet is really for (single point impact), I believe a DOT approved helmet is just fine, as long as it has proper coverage (full face). Funny, I bought my very first helmet (a $89 Z1R) based on independent DOT and Snell test that was done back in 2004-2005.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:34 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,052,762 times
I know there were two versions of the snell accreditation too. I can't remember the years, and it's likely not a big deal now since most older Snell approved helmets have been replaced.

The argument I've heard about Snell standards being "worse" were typically limited to smaller helmets. The tests were conducted with the same impact force despite helmet size, and as a result, head weight, making the crush barriers on the small helmets incredibly more stiff than on the larger helmets that have more mass. Word was, if you have a large head, Snell was great, if you had a small head, wife's head, or kids head, DOT was likely better. Have also heard the DOT is great for slower speed while Snell is great for highspeed crashes. It's all about opinion I'd guess.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,466,571 times
Havign lived through the debates as well, I entrenched myself firmly in the camp of "who cares, buy what fits best and you'll wear Every time". Thinking that any helmet is better than no helmet and the difference in crash protection Probably won't be one that any individual will ever encounter anyway.

I know that I've only ever owned Snell helmets, wear a size Medium (properly sized), and have crash tested no small number of helmets. I've never even had so much as a concussion, seen spots/stars or suffered for any other head/brain issues. Granted, I've never hit anything other than the ground (pavement, gravel, dirt, etc...), but I've no issues with Snell ratings. It's an academic thing to me, people pissing and moaning over a half of a percent difference somewhere.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,940,069 times
I own an HJC modular helmet in 6x size. I have a wide Germanic head and face and this is the first really comfortable helmet I have ever had. I like the flip up front as it makes getting the thing on and off much easier. I wear it every time I ride the bike. As my feet are equally wide (8 6E) motorcycle boots are unavailable so I wear sneakers in the summer or insulated work boots when the temps drop below 45 or so. I have a couple of different leather jackets but my usual is a denim work jacket in the summer.

FWIW I now ride a Suzuki 650cc Burgman Scooter. This thing looks like a scooter and rides like a motorcycle. I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles