Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Also kinda cold in cold weather with all the airflow under you. So, limited use item IMHO. Not that I own one, though I did research it quite extensively.
Not so bad if you use a good sleeping bag and underblanket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 09:18 AM

608 posts, read 516,379 times
For me the choice would be the KTM 790 Adventure hands down.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:00 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Thanks for reading and answering in advance.

I am trying to get a feel for which bike would be suitable for long term motorcycle camping. My candidates thus far are: v strom 650, Super tenere. I've found a 92 dr650 for $1500 with 10k miles on it.

If you we're going to travel light, camp with a small tent,bag,sleeping pad, an iPad, and other bike portable items for stealth boondocking, which bike would you take?
I rode a BMW 1200 GS in Africa a month, couple years ago. With three bags, carries plenty of stuff if-needed. I found it a stupendous offroad machine on gravel roads. Medium trails, too. Tight stuff, worthless naturally, as they are roughly 525 lbs and that's substantial.

Just sold a Ducati Multistrada, also a nice bike. It was sitting since 2017 or so, I'm mostly gotten away from bikes.

Smaller side, buddy of mine used to have a FZ1 with bags. Nice for cruising and he'd load it up w/tent and light gear for overnights.

I camped on my Suzuki 750, then many years later via my Honda Blackbird with aftermarket hard bags. All that worked great. I'd do thousands of miles on that Blackbird, it just burned up the miles.

Super Tenere (sp) is supposed to be nice, never looked at them closely. I think you have the right idea. My next bike, if there is one, might be a BMW 1250 GS of some sort, but that's me and couple years away. Indian Chieftain has an appeal, too, more of a boulevard cruiser than camper. You'd want the ability to at least do gravel roads w/o issue, to get off the beaten path a mile or three, what you called stealth boondooking. Guessing you'll figure a way to haul maybe five gallons of water with you, that's the limiting factor I figure though for a night or two would suffice.

Guess I'm more of a glamper, in my Land Cruiser. I'd want to haul a packed cooler, small Coleman stove, and big old tent.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:42 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
URAL with side cart and both rear wheel drive. Those are made for rough to no roads.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:11 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Thanks for reading and answering in advance.

I am trying to get a feel for which bike would be suitable for long term motorcycle camping. My candidates thus far are: v strom 650, Super tenere. I've found a 92 dr650 for $1500 with 10k miles on it.

If you we're going to travel light, camp with a small tent,bag,sleeping pad, an iPad, and other bike portable items for stealth boondocking, which bike would you take?
Sounds like you have a list of solid choices already!

As others mentioned, my pick would be based on the answers to each 3 questions:

- How much gear will you be carrying?
- How far will you be traveling?
- What type of terrain will you be riding thru (percentage of pavement/gravel/dirt roads)?

Old 12-04-2020, 02:00 PM

779 posts, read 506,813 times
I recommend you read Peter Egan's two books, LEANINGS, and LEANINGS2.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:51 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Since the OP hasn't been here in 6 YEARS, I dunno if it really matters. All I know, is I won't be sleeping in the dirt, while I'm alive.
The bike to get? Gotta be something very light weight and durable. KLR 300 maybe. (Out of the bikes I have right now? Either the Triumph 800XC, or the Husky 701E.)

Old 12-08-2020, 10:04 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I rode a BMW 1200 GS in Africa a month, couple years ago. With three bags, carries plenty of stuff if-needed. I found it a stupendous offroad machine on gravel roads. Medium trails, too. Tight stuff, worthless naturally, as they are roughly 525 lbs and that's substantial.

Just sold a Ducati Multistrada, also a nice bike. It was sitting since 2017 or so, I'm mostly gotten away from bikes.

Smaller side, buddy of mine used to have a FZ1 with bags. Nice for cruising and he'd load it up w/tent and light gear for overnights.

I camped on my Suzuki 750, then many years later via my Honda Blackbird with aftermarket hard bags. All that worked great. I'd do thousands of miles on that Blackbird, it just burned up the miles.

Super Tenere (sp) is supposed to be nice, never looked at them closely. I think you have the right idea. My next bike, if there is one, might be a BMW 1250 GS of some sort, but that's me and couple years away. Indian Chieftain has an appeal, too, more of a boulevard cruiser than camper. You'd want the ability to at least do gravel roads w/o issue, to get off the beaten path a mile or three, what you called stealth boondooking. Guessing you'll figure a way to haul maybe five gallons of water with you, that's the limiting factor I figure though for a night or two would suffice.

Guess I'm more of a glamper, in my Land Cruiser. I'd want to haul a packed cooler, small Coleman stove, and big old tent.
If you're looking at a big Indian bagger, take a look at the Challenger as well as the Chieftain. Liquid cooled motor, far more power, more comfortable (not so much heat off the engine). I kinda prefer the looks of the Chieftain (I had a Roadmaster) as long as we're talking about the Classic-not the Chief-Glide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles