Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:07 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,055,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
That's BS that the Rebel or Virago can't go on the highway. I used to take my TW200 on the interstates, as well as the KLX250SF. Unfortunately both those bikes were involuntarily donated to gentlemen of the Bronx, but during my ownership I took both on the interstate, and I weigh over 200lbs.
Getting up to speed is not the problem. Getting your nuts shaken off, at highway speed, is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
I've finally gotten my license and actively looking for a starter bike. I was initially interested in a Rebel but found out it has less horsepower than the Kawasaki Eliminator I trained on. I didn't dislike the Eliminator but of course it was old, beat up and shifting gears was horrible. I barely knew whether or not I was in neutral.

I saw a Yamaha Virago (these are all used btw), sat on it, was comfortable but since I'm so new and nervous about riding someone's bike (particularly in front of them), I've let my husband, a more experienced rider and who currently rides a HD Sportster 1200cc, test it out for me. He said the Rebel felt like a toy and the Virago was a bit better, although the one he tested also had a bad gear box. He test drove a Ninja and said I'd be most comfortable on that, although I won't be completely upright which is what I was looking for. I sat on it and of course, it wasn't as comfortable as the Rebel or Virago to me, but I was able to get my feet flat on the ground, which was important to me (I'm 5'2", 5'4" with motorcycle boots on). So I've been searching for Ninjas but I'm having second thoughts. Will I be able to learn cornering better on a Ninja or an upright? All of the basics or will the Ninja 250 put me at a disadvantage? Should I just get a Rebel just to get comfortable and then trade it in for a Ninja 500 or some other bike? I know my husband wants me to have confidence and have the bike last a little longer for me in the learning stage vs. a Rebel which he says is outright "anemic" (his word) and definitely could never be taken on a highway (which is a long way away in my future).

Thanks!
I'd recommend going with something like a Rebel. Used. Unless wrecked, they maintain a certain value. You can buy one for probably around $2,000 - spend a year or two getting comfortable riding - then sell it again for probably around $2,000.

You're little, and that'd be a nice size bike to learn on. If my wife were learning to ride, I'd be more comfortable with her on a Rebel than on a Ninja.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:04 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,432,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Getting up to speed is not the problem. Getting your nuts shaken off, at highway speed, is the problem.
You know, you're starting to show a lot of ignorant (as in uninformed due to lack of direct personal experience) opinions. How long as you owned and lived with any of the motorcycles you're arguing against? Just curious, because your opinions sure do come off as those that are commonly passed around by riders who've never even ridden the bikes they're offering opinion on.

Or are you just bored and trolling for the sake of creating confrontation (this thread and the loud pipes thread both seem to be littered with your rather stinky, often re-posted opinions)? Just curious. Could you maybe, you know, chill out a little... maybe relax on posting for awhile?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
You know, you're starting to show a lot of ignorant (as in uninformed due to lack of direct personal experience) opinions. How long as you owned and lived with any of the motorcycles you're arguing against? Just curious, because your opinions sure do come off as those that are commonly passed around by riders who've never even ridden the bikes they're offering opinion on.

Or are you just bored and trolling for the sake of creating confrontation (this thread and the loud pipes thread both seem to be littered with your rather stinky, often re-posted opinions)? Just curious. Could you maybe, you know, chill out a little... maybe relax on posting for awhile?
Give it a rest. I've ridden all kinds of bikes for over 35 years.

There is NOBODY who cruises down the Interstate - long distances - on a TW200. I'm on the highway all the time, I know what kind of bikes the riders are on. Argue all you want about 200cc bikes being highway bikes, but they're not. They're great bikes, but they're not cruisers.

In fact, I'll make you a deal. The next time (which will be the FIRST time) I ever see a 200cc motorcycle cruising down the highway, I'll come back to this thread and apologize to you. Until then, feel free to eat crow.

Now... Anything else you'd like to try to prove?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,107,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

I have to agree with garagemagic on this one. Brian you are completely wrong. My 440 pound Intruder on a windy day or on I80 with trucks speeding next to me, I'm really having to focus and keeep the bike steady with gusts of wind.

My friend has M40 or whatever it's called basically the same exact bike as my intruder still a suzuki, still 805cc, however his is a couple hundred pounds heavier bigger tank and everything.That extra weight makes a WORLD of difference riding on a windy day or next to a truck on the expressway

btw, ur the one comming off as ignorant not on motoryccles but just in general for someone expressing their opinion. not only do i think garagemagic is correctt which he is but no need to call him ignorant just because he doesn't agree with ur view. nothing he's saying is that crazy.

can a 200cc bike get on the expressway, yeah absolutely they can but is that the idea bike to ride there no, tough getting up to speed quickly especially with a passenger and they'd get blown all over the place if there was lots of traffic and especially so with trucks

Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM

364 posts, read 560,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I have to agree with garagemagic on this one. Brian you are completely wrong. My 440 pound Intruder on a windy day or on I80 with trucks speeding next to me, I'm really having to focus and keeep the bike steady with gusts of wind.

My friend has M40 or whatever it's called basically the same exact bike as my intruder still a suzuki, still 805cc, however his is a couple hundred pounds heavier bigger tank and everything.That extra weight makes a WORLD of difference riding on a windy day or next to a truck on the expressway

btw, ur the one comming off as ignorant not on motoryccles but just in general for someone expressing their opinion. not only do i think garagemagic is correctt which he is but no need to call him ignorant just because he doesn't agree with ur view. nothing he's saying is that crazy.

can a 200cc bike get on the expressway, yeah absolutely they can but is that the idea bike to ride there no, tough getting up to speed quickly especially with a passenger and they'd get blown all over the place if there was lots of traffic and especially so with trucks
I think Brian's post hit the nail on the head. Have you been to the loud pipes thread?

I'd agree that a small bike, and especially one with one cylinder, isn't going to be the preferred machine for sustained speeds over 55mph, but the attitude coming from "GarageLogic" is indeed riddled with ignorance. Case in point: "I'd rather have my wife on a Rebel than a Ninja." Why? Because the Rebel is slower (think getting-out-of-a-tight-spot power), stops slower, and handles worse? If there were any "logic" () included to back up such claims, I'd definitely keep an open mind, but there hasn't been in any post I've seen.

*Edit* Doodle, you've always got to be totally focused on a motorcycle, not just when you're passing big rigs on the superslab.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post

Right. Getting up to speed - even Interstate speed - is not the problem. Pretty much any motorcycle, 150cc or bigger, can go at least 60 mph. Shoot, my old DT-400 Enduro will do highway speed, doing a wheelie. But there's a reason you don't see those motorcycles on the highway - especially Interstates.

As is the case with all kinds of vehicles, different types of motorcycles excel for different uses.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
I think Brian's post hit the nail on the head. Have you been to the loud pipes thread?

I'd agree that a small bike, and especially one with one cylinder, isn't going to be the preferred machine for sustained speeds over 55mph, but the attitude coming from "GarageLogic" is indeed riddled with ignorance. Case in point: "I'd rather have my wife on a Rebel than a Ninja." Why? Because the Rebel is slower (think getting-out-of-a-tight-spot power), stops slower, and handles worse? If there were any "logic" () included to back up such claims, I'd definitely keep an open mind, but there hasn't been in any post I've seen.

*Edit* Doodle, you've always got to be totally focused on a motorcycle, not just when you're passing big rigs on the superslab.
Is there some reason you're trolling me? Some phallic obsession or something?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:48 PM

21,886 posts, read 25,201,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Give it a rest. I've ridden all kinds of bikes for over 35 years.

There is NOBODY who cruises down the Interstate - long distances - on a TW200. I'm on the highway all the time, I know what kind of bikes the riders are on. Argue all you want about 200cc bikes being highway bikes, but they're not. They're great bikes, but they're not cruisers.

In fact, I'll make you a deal. The next time (which will be the FIRST time) I ever see a 200cc motorcycle cruising down the highway, I'll come back to this thread and apologize to you. Until then, feel free to eat crow.

Now... Anything else you'd like to try to prove?
Well, people do... long distance highway stretches are often the only practical way of getting to its preferred environment, which is trails. Nobody cruises on them down the Interstate for the purpose of cruising down the Interstate.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, people do... long distance highway stretches are often the only practical way of getting to its preferred environment, which is trails. Nobody cruises on them down the Interstate for the purpose of cruising down the Interstate.
Sure. That makes sense.

What I'm going on is experience. I regularly see Enduros & MotoCross bikes being trailered to where they are going. And I'm sure there are a few riders to just take the bike, sans trailer. But there sure aren't very many of them - even up in trail-rich areas of the country like northern Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles