Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,227,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Loud pipes are for 99% of Harley riders a message "Look at me, I'm cool!"
Why such a low number?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I'd add another one.

4 - Posers

You can identify these guys by the fact that literally everything they wear is HD - from their dew rag to their boots. Everything they own is covered with HD decals, stickers, etc. They never ride alone, simply for the pleasure of riding. Their goal is to be seen, and to be known as a Harley Harda$$. They'll argue to the death about the superiority of everything HD, even though they have absolutely no mechanical knowledge at all. You can find a lot of their stuff in a pawn shop, 5 years later, after they've lost interest.

I asked this dude at work (who's always talking about his Harley), besides their looks, what's the appeal of Harleys to older white guys since they're expensive, heavy, slow, and unreliable?

He said "I can't explain it to you. You have to ride it to know it."

Class A poser, right there.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,089,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I asked this dude at work (who's always talking about his Harley), besides their looks, what's the appeal of Harleys to older white guys since they're expensive, heavy, slow, and unreliable?

He said "I can't explain it to you. You have to ride it to know it."

Class A poser, right there.
Yeah. That gets back to that old Harley saying, "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand anyway."

Fortunately, most of the Harley folks aren't like that - or at least not the ones I know. Most of them take the, "You ride? Cool!" approach - and don't even ask what make of bike you ride.

The biggest Harley Poser I know is about 26 - hardcore HD everything. Even has a HD tattoo. Always flashing gang gestures & all that crap. The idiot is an Iowa farm kid, for crying out loud. Who does he think he's kidding!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 PM

8,458 posts, read 13,583,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Yeah. That gets back to that old Harley saying, "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand anyway."
Nice way to disguise something that is indescribable AKA u would have to lie!

I kid, I kid!

Quote:
Fortunately, most of the Harley folks aren't like that - or at least not the ones I know. Most of them take the, "You ride? Cool!" approach - and don't even ask what make of bike you ride.
Personally, I don't get the appeal of HD, at least from a practical perspective, it makes little to no sense owning one. I do get that its ride has a unique vibe to it, etc. but I would never own one. Ride/rent? May be out of curiosity.

Still, I do not diss Harley riders. I don't diss any bike/scooter regardless of its make/size/style. I am totally with that "You ride? Cool!" mentality. I don't care what you ride as long as you ride!
Gotta stand/stick together against them cagers!

Quote:
The biggest Harley Poser I know is about 26 - hardcore HD everything. Even has a HD tattoo. Always flashing gang gestures & all that crap. The idiot is an Iowa farm kid, for crying out loud. Who does he think he's kidding!
Even that guy would be OK in my book. Yes, I would roll my eyes at him but still, if he is riding, let him be. He might eventually grow up and become a true motorcyclist/rider.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM

307 posts, read 688,138 times
I've heard from some "loud pipe" bikers that they do it to tick people off. Now I ride a sportbike and I like mine quiet. I tend to cruise a lot and I like to roll through and not p!$$ people off.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 AM

301 posts, read 1,550,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Loud pipes are for 99% of Harley riders a message "Look at me, I'm cool!"
That is a very incorrect statement. You are not helping the issue, Just causing more folks to become angry. Where did you get your fact from ? If you want the real numbers go to the Abate or AMA web sites. They have the true Facts. And yes I am a Harley Davidson owner since the mid 1970's. And Yes many of the Harley's I have owned have had drag pipes installed. Or a exhaust system that was not OEM and would not pass a safety inspection. Of the three I own currently they have aftermarket exhaust systems. But for performance reasons torque cones are used and some type of baffle is installed in the exhaust pipes. As I have grown older and my hearing isn't what it use to be. So I have to protect what I have left. Would I do it all over again YES!! every day of the week. Why because it sounds cool. But No Way is the problem 99% on V-Twin motorcycles.
If people would spend a little bit of the time and check out what the cost will be if a law is put on the books. What it will include and you most likely won't be very happy. I have seen a draft of the Bill and it does nothing but Take things away from us, as almost every other Bill/Law passes in Washington D.C. So be careful what you wish for. I have nothing against you. I respect you. I don't know you, But please rethink your position before making incorrect statements. Ken

Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,742,041 times
I don't understand the logic of people thinking that the exhaust sound is behind them. Unless they are traveling faster than the speed of sound... the sound is most definitely going at a faster rate and is ahead of them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

The guard at the gate tells me he can hear my bike as I get near so he knows when open the gate.
I laughed when he told me that as I remembered those who argue that loud pipes do not save lives because a driver cannot hear a bike approaching from behind yet the guard, who sits with his back turned in the direction I am coming from can hear my bike a hundred yards away.
Before I moved out of my parents house whenever I would come home on my motorcycle when I was pulling up the driveway the garage door was always opening. This is because as I pulled down the street, my dad would hear me and get up from the living room and hit the garage door opener for me. This is someone sitting in a house watching tv.

There is a limit to everything though. If you're a SQUID flying down the freeway at 130MPH then there is no amount of sound that would save your life. You are traveling too fast for the sound to make it to a car in front of you and for them to register what is going on to react if they needed to. The best thing is for them not to react though as the SQUID generally has an idea of where they are going and if anyone does anything to interrupt that, they do not have the control over their bike to compensate for that.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 AM

8,458 posts, read 13,583,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgix6 View Post
I've heard from some "loud pipe" bikers that they do it to tick people off. Now I ride a sportbike and I like mine quiet. I tend to cruise a lot and I like to roll through and not p!$$ people off.
I heard that too and kinda hoped they were joking otherwise, it is a sad, childish mentality. I like a medium high, enjoyable tone but if it is so loud that it gives you a "I just bit the lemon" face, then...
Sadly, I see some of those cruiser HD boys frequently rev their engines most when they are going slow/stopped and there is crowd around. Kinda annoying (even as a motorcyclist) but at the same time, a little amusing. They are definitely giving the rest a bad rep but waddaya gonna do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
There is a limit to everything though. If you're a SQUID flying down the freeway at 130MPH then there is no amount of sound that would save your life. You are traveling too fast for the sound to make it to a car in front of you and for them to register what is going on to react if they needed to. The best thing is for them not to react though as the SQUID generally has an idea of where they are going and if anyone does anything to interrupt that, they do not have the control over their bike to compensate for that.
I absolutely agree with everything you said. Again, there is a limit too loudness and also a loud pipe should not be looked at as a "savior" or a safety feature. It may or may not help but being alert and practicing good and safe riding habits, most certainly will.

One of the reason why I like riding with local motorcycle groups (meetup.com) is that it encourages good, safer riding habits. When someone interested in getting into riding mc, I always tell them 3 things they should do:
- Take the MSF Course
- Buy proper riding gear and always wear them
- Ride with others as much as they can

I pity those squids but to each his own.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,089,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
One of the reason why I like riding with local motorcycle groups (meetup.com) is that it encourages good, safer riding habits. When someone interested in getting into riding mc, I always tell them 3 things they should do:
- Take the MSF Course
- Buy proper riding gear and always wear them
- Ride with others as much as they can
Personally, I strongly prefer to ride alone. In fact, part of why I ride is to get away from everything, and everyone. I love the solitude.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
That is a very incorrect statement. You are not helping the issue, Just causing more folks to become angry. Where did you get your fact from ? If you want the real numbers go to the Abate or AMA web sites. They have the true Facts. And yes I am a Harley Davidson owner since the mid 1970's. And Yes many of the Harley's I have owned have had drag pipes installed. Or a exhaust system that was not OEM and would not pass a safety inspection. Of the three I own currently they have aftermarket exhaust systems. But for performance reasons torque cones are used and some type of baffle is installed in the exhaust pipes. As I have grown older and my hearing isn't what it use to be. So I have to protect what I have left. Would I do it all over again YES!! every day of the week. Why because it sounds cool. But No Way is the problem 99% on V-Twin motorcycles.
If people would spend a little bit of the time and check out what the cost will be if a law is put on the books. What it will include and you most likely won't be very happy. I have seen a draft of the Bill and it does nothing but Take things away from us, as almost every other Bill/Law passes in Washington D.C. So be careful what you wish for. I have nothing against you. I respect you. I don't know you, But please rethink your position before making incorrect statements. Ken

Just because you blew your ears out doesn't mean the rest of the public have to blow ours out listening to your "cool" exhaust notes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles