Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,408,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
And you have how much experience to say that with certainty?

Sidecarists are a particular lot. You don't see many of us willingly switch back 'n forth between them and two-wheels. It's more of an orientation.
I know they're a different animal, as are the riders. My comment was to the OP. If manuals are a challenge, and her only 3 wheeled experience is as a passenger, she may be better off exploring other options. That's all. You can't take motorcycle riding experience and expect it to translate to an equivalent skill in a hack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,071,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I love my dh's ural. Its a great feeling to be sitting there just riding out thru the countryside with him.
My Dh had one of those as well. The sidecar sits up higher on those than on other typical rigs, IIRC. He got rid of it after a few years though. Damned thing was very persnickety about maintenance. And if you let it sit for too long without running, it was hard to start and would belch out clouds of blue smoke. I learned to stay upwind. Wasn't particularly powerful, either. My 600cc Silverwing, with a 165 lb sidecar, would zoom past it quite easily. Still, it was a very stylish rig. He was always getting questions about it. People had a hard time believing it was a 2000 model. They thought it was an antique.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:36 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,861,079 times
dh's is a 2008 and we are always getting questions about it. It is cool.

I can drive a manual car no bother. but a bike ; I dont know.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:19 PM

4,855 posts, read 5,884,689 times
A bike is usually 1 down and 5/6 up. I've yet to drive one either. Honda made a new automatic motorcyle. I'd rather just drive a normal standard bike than to be tracking down a Hondamatic or spending years paying for a new one or a crappy Spyder.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,071,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I can drive a manual car no bother. but a bike ; I dont know.
I prefer manuals in cars, but not bikes. At least not on the roads I ride. In my native Midwest, with those miles and miles of straight, flat roads, you'd probably only shift on a bike when you came into towns (we drove US 50 across Indiana and Illinois. gawwwd, what a mostly boring route). In the mountains of NC, I need to tend to the twisties and steep drop offs, not bother about shifting.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 AM

79 posts, read 86,770 times
My dad has a harley trike and he loves it ! I rode it and its hydrolic assist steering makes it super easy to steer, plenty of power for heavier chassis, and he has had no problems riding in large groups of 2 wheelers in any way ?? Not sure about an auto option but you should look at one.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:02 PM

301 posts, read 1,552,714 times
A note about the Honda CX500 trikes built by Trident for use by Police Departments.The CX500's were great bikes for riding in town.They were never ment to be ridden over 55 mph.The engine design had the rpm real high.When you are going 35 mph its turning 3500 rpm.Running down the road at 55mph the thing is spinning at 5500 rpm.And man your looking at the tach and thinking this thing is going to explosed.They are no fun,in my opinion.I had one for my wife to start out on after passing the riders safety course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles