Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:27 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
I look at it this way.... Ill look even manlier in comparison to my vehicle of choice.

Let me guess...a Smart Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
And find a good mechanic. You don't know it yet, but you're going to make him rich enough to buy a Burgman.
Yelo...Burgmans are for teenage girls to zip around on college campuses or...if ever you were to grow a set--you'd understand.

Meep meep...

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 12:07 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
The 650 Burgman is probably quite a bit faster than an 883 Sportster. All this 'manly' stuff gives me a pain. I gave up my membership in the 'manhood through suffering' group long ago. I don't care what anyone thinks about my ride, as long as I like it. BTW, I ride an 84 Honda V65 Sabre. Not that it matters.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,259,925 times
I had a young "rebel dressed" Harley Hog type ask me why I was riding my "wimpy" little Mio 50 trainer scooter a few years ago. I explained that we wimpy former Marine Viet Nam combat vets were not too concerned with appearances and that I thought it wise to re-learn how to ride in stages. An old war injury made shifting not an option so I was a scooter type.

I did ask his opinion about putting XXXs on the Mio to reflect the number of my confirmed kills in Nam like the pilots do, but explained that there wasn't enough room. I ask his opinion if he thought bigger Xs representing ten each was a cool idea. He didn't have any good suggestions, just looked at me rather strangely.
(Most vets I know didn't keep count but he was too dumb to know better.)

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 05-16-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 PM

74 posts, read 166,180 times
I ride a Harley-Davidson Sportster....and a Kymco People 150. I would suggest you check out a SYM HD200. My wife has one and I ride it a lot. It will easily do freeways at 55-65 mph. As I recall its got a 4-valve head, ceramic coated cylinder, and is water cooled. The Kymcos are very good scooters also, as are the Genuine Scooters.

jon

Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I'm proud of you, birdmove: an H-D rider without the need to prove anything.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:42 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times

YouTube - ‪Hang In There Girl‬‏

Don't you think she's a little clingy?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:47 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
Most name brand scooters will work well for you. I would never buy one of these cheap Chinese bikes. They fall apart and not many people will work on them. There are a lot of Vespa clubs and they are made well. The Burgman(400 and 650) and Silverwing(600) are both great for a bigger bike. I looked at both and got the Silverwing since it was a bit lighter and easier for me to handle. The Helix(250), you would have to find a used one, is very comfortable and has a low center of gravity.
I have an 09 Silverwing going on 23k miles and I've loved every minute of it. I'm getting about 62 a gallon which is a lot of fun for the money.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
never buy one of these cheap Chinese bikes
China 150cc scooter review.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
Well good luck with it...Our group just stopped at a dealer the other day and we looked at the bikes, all Chinese. They were made so poorly. Very thin shields, things not lined up well, etc. One guy sat on one and a piece fell off and the guy just said, "oh we are having problems with that and we need to glue that" One of our guys bought the one that looks like the Helix and his lid to the case cracked and it was just so thin. Now he likes the bike but we all just shook our heads when he bought it. My Silverwing is the fourth Honda in a row and I've never had a problem and I really trust my dealership. I hope yours does well and you enjoy it...

Old 06-19-2011, 04:46 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
China 150cc scooter review.
And half the thread consisted of suggestions of what should be replaced, right off the bat

I take the long-term view: pay a bit more for something sturdy that will have a decent service network and not have to worry about problems until after you've put many, many miles on it or have had it for a long time.

I have a first-import-year, 2002 Silverwing. It had a couple of recall bugs; accepted because it was new to the market; but since then it has been nothing but basic maintenance and more frequent back tire changes than normal. I have a sidecar that causes it to eat back tires at a rate of about every 5-7000 miles. Other than that, I pay a visit to my local dealer for inspection and oil change/lube each spring and then take off for a season of trouble-free riding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles