Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:04 AM

3,189 posts, read 5,009,732 times

Advertisements

There are three large group rides I do every year because they are to benefit causes that I truly support. I don't ENJOY them, but I do it to help them out.

One of them is really great because it's to benefit the local police K-9 corps. Since the cops are running the show, we get police cruisers and police bikes stopping all the traffic..... and the front and end of the group always has a police bike with their flashers running. So outside of running into another bike in the group, it's pretty safe.

I also do one crazy group ride every year called the Penguin Run. It's put on by the local H-D shop and it's a New Years Day ride. I live in the snow belt so you have to dress super warm for this one. It's held no matter what the conditions as well. You don't see any posers on that ride!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,343,549 times
Brrrr. There is no place colder than on a motorcycle on a frigid day. Athough I have to admit that being cold right now seems like a great idea (17th consecutive day over 100 degrees )!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,110,820 times
Won't see me on any New Years ride either. I am good with poser.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,008,775 times
Don`t your arms get tired of being in that position for a long time?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 PM

Not if the ergonomics are comfortable. Most of the arms' weight rests on the grips.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 AM

301 posts, read 1,553,084 times
I gave up on riding in large groups about 10 years ago.I hate the rubber band effect on the charity rides.I just drop by make my donation and leave.I really like riding with at most 2 other bikes.Being my wife rides her own bike.I ride to see not be seen.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:07 AM

3,189 posts, read 5,009,732 times
I would go and just make a donation and leave except that I'm in business and believe it or not, I have also made multiple business contacts when I go on those charity rides. When they find out I'm a biker, they will tend to call me over one of my competitors...so it's worked out pretty good.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,110,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Don`t your arms get tired of being in that position for a long time?

I have a few issues with my hands. I am a sort of x foreign car tech with carpels tunnel, so there are issues typing, holding a coffee cup and riding causes others. Mainly my right hand that runs the throttle. So I installed a throttle lock. I can set that and still have my hand in place.

In NH the roads i tend to ride won't allow for cruise controll, but in the west real cruise is getting popular.

My rig just locks the throttle, so if there is a hill and i do nothing the bike will slow down and or if there is a down hill and the throttle is locked the bike will speed up, not a true cruise.

The lock is only limited too, as you can still turn the grip up or down as you wish, but it will stay where it was left last.

It works well enough you can get a little rest.

The are other things besiides that method too riders do to rest their hands mainly, arms are not much iof an issue to anyone I know. Sometimes seats are and or shoulders are on a real long ride.

Most riders can only ride 1/2 the distance they can drive a car too.

I can't break 450 miles myself in a day light ride. In a car I can go 1,200 non stop.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:40 PM

I like going about 300 miles a day. It gives me a chance to explore all the little towns and take lots of photos (not to mention get off the bike and work the kinks out). I like vacations, not endurance contests. However, I get at least as tired in a car as I do on the bike on a long trip; I can move around more on my bike than I can in a car!

It's amazing how much stuff there is relatively close to home that one can see if s/he really looks. There are little towns within 100 miles of me that I've never seen, and quite a few squiggly lines on the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles