Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 AM

170 posts, read 60,294 times

Advertisements

Hi, i have few question for those who have experience with new builder homes.

1st, if i already know what i want to buy from the builder, know the floorplan, lots, etc do i still need to hire a new house realtor to negotiate?
2nd the builder give us $15k incentive if we use their financing, and their rate is about 5.4% Ohio. should i be using that? i hear bad stories about using builders financing.
3rd can i bargain with the builder, they already agree to weave the closing cost, but it felt like there are still room to bargain, because its currently buyer market in ohio.

thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:17 AM

835 posts, read 3,983,829 times
As a Loan officer I can only reasonably speak to the financing part. Absolutely use their lender and get your $15k incentive. You can refinance the day after closing on your purchase if there is a lower rate available.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,028,481 times
1st, no but i would recommend you have a realtor. Much like the saying, he who represents himself in court has a fool for a client...
2nd, I would demand that the builder let you use anybody you want for financing and still give you the incentive. Why do you think they are steering you toward a specific lender? They want to make back the incentive money by not giving you as a good a deal on financing.
3rd, Yes you can. We are in a buyers market.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:18 AM

170 posts, read 60,294 times
i did check their rate, they said its about 5.38 which is reasonably competitive vs other lenders. i look at some rates online for Ohio, which most around 5.3 something, very few around 5.1 or lower. but what i like to know is anything to watch out for when using builders financing. also the builder has good reputation here.

the reason i want to hire a realtor is because this is first time i buy a house, and there are certain things that i'm not familiar with it, such what kind thing to watch out for in contract, all the necessary process etc. but i already do the research on house market, which builder, where, and what i want to buy.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 PM

161 posts, read 500,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
i did check their rate, they said its about 5.38 which is reasonably competitive vs other lenders. i look at some rates online for Ohio, which most around 5.3 something, very few around 5.1 or lower. but what i like to know is anything to watch out for when using builders financing. also the builder has good reputation here.

the reason i want to hire a realtor is because this is first time i buy a house, and there are certain things that i'm not familiar with it, such what kind thing to watch out for in contract, all the necessary process etc. but i already do the research on house market, which builder, where, and what i want to buy.
Base on our experience of buying our first home without a realtor, I would definitely recommend looking for a realtor to represent you. They will look after your best interest, to make sure you don't get taken advantage of. I would also recommend you ordering a home inspection, even if it's a new home. TRUST ME! Hope this helps. Congratulations.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:47 PM

160 posts, read 791,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
1st, no but i would recommend you have a realtor. Much like the saying, he who represents himself in court has a fool for a client...
2nd, I would demand that the builder let you use anybody you want for financing and still give you the incentive. Why do you think they are steering you toward a specific lender? They want to make back the incentive money by not giving you as a good a deal on financing.
3rd, Yes you can. We are in a buyers market.
^I agree with this guy. Find a good buyer's agent and hire them. It won't cost you a penny (the seller/builder pays their commission).

I just bought a condo where the builder was paying all closing costs if I used their preferred lender. Well I used MY preferred lender and still got the closing costs paid by the builder.

It's a buyer's market. Use that to your advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages