Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM

2,857 posts, read 10,455,193 times

Advertisements

We foreclosed on a home in the past due to the taxes getting too high up to 12,000 a year (its a private community).
So then we could no longer afford the place and had no luck selling in 3 years.
Well now we're wondering if we will qualify. Only my DH has a foreclosure on his record as it was his home before we met, so my credit was not affected BUT he is the breadwinner.
Combined we make about 110K a year.
We would have about 10K to put down.
BUT our debt is very high at around 40K.

Would anyone give us a mortage you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:34 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,609,158 times
It depends on when the Foreclosure was discharged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
We foreclosed on a home in the past due to the taxes getting too high up to 12,000 a year (its a private community).
Well now we're wondering if we will qualify. Only my DH has a foreclosure on his record as it was his home before we met, so my credit was not affected BUT he is the breadwinner.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:17 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,778,514 times
My wife and I filed for chapter 7 last yr. and our house was foreclosed on but house was in my name only. The bankruptcy was discharged 6 months ago and a mortgage broker told us if we wanted to buy a home it would take 3 yrs. for me since home was in my name and my fico now is only in 400's but my wife can get loan now and her score is in 580 range. We are not going to buy home now and will probably wait at least 3 more yrs.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:26 PM

27,221 posts, read 46,857,427 times
Quote:

Depends on how much the house will cost that you are thinking of buying and why would you buy when you recently showed you were not able to pay for the things you signed for. I guess the taxes didn't go up from $ 2,000 to $ 12,000. I live in a private community tooand owe in other private communities but no where I pay so much, so maybe you should look at a different area.
Why not rent for a couple of years and get rid of the debt and try to save some money. How would you come up with the $ 10K? If you have $ 10 K than pay it towards the $ 40 K, or is this weird for me to say.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:29 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,565,942 times
Quote:

I have the exact same question - a little different though -

Annual 90K
10K down
debt 40K

My husband has a foreclosure about 6 years ago.
His credit score low.
He's the breadwinner.
I still own my house (on market now)
my credit score very high
I don't work at this moment until we move.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:18 PM

76 posts, read 364,506 times
Default I just had to post here.

With God on your side, all things are possible. I just closed the end of June and my husband and I owe federal and state taxes. We also have a carnote. We didn't have any credit card debt. We got an FHA loan and we put down $2,500. Our mortgage is a little high ($2,500) but we can handle it. With combined income we make $120k. It can be done.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,821,839 times
Quote:

Honestly, I don't know how great the rates would be. I would really work on the debt first while letting the market settle down (if you're in one of the areas that've been shaken up). What kind of debt is it? Student loans, credit cards, auto loan?

Old 07-26-2008, 02:52 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,065,351 times
At this point, with 2 foreclosures and lots of debt, you have literally no chance of getting another mortgage anytime soon. Work on paying down that debt, paying any foreclosure shortgage and save, save, save. In about 5 years, you might have a chance, assuming that you will have 20% to put down. Good luck!!

I am a mortgage underwriter.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:08 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,609,158 times
You're not an FHA DE underwriter....

Otherwise you would say 3yrs from discharge of Foreclosure, and 3 positive tradelines for 12-24months, and 3% down.

OP - Make sure you keep a clean credit history after the foreclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
At this point, with 2 foreclosures and lots of debt, you have literally no chance of getting another mortgage anytime soon. Work on paying down that debt, paying any foreclosure shortgage and save, save, save. In about 5 years, you might have a chance, assuming that you will have 20% to put down. Good luck!!

I am a mortgage underwriter.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:13 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,405,484 times
If you have $40K in debt, you would be better served paying that off before taking on any more. You're already overextended. Rent, save, reduce your debt, then buy a home when your financial position is stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages