Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 6,531 times

Advertisements

I am doubtful that we'd qualify, but I want to ask anyway: What are the chances that we'd qualify for a mortgage given these "issues":

1. We collectively gross $108,000/year, but my husband works as a contractor.
2. We have about $55k in debt (including student loans, which total about $20k)
3. Our credit scores are around 650 (I believe).
4. We have a 60 day late payment from March - prior to that, we had no late payments, and since then our payments have been perfect.
5. We have no money for a down payment, but do have cash to cover closing costs/fees.

We are interested in paying under $185k for a house in Raleigh.

Any information you can provide would be great - thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,500,441 times
If your score is indeed 650 and have a single late pay from March you would no problem from the score / negatives issue. Debt is little high but so long as that $108k of income is documented you should be OK, in fact the house you are shopping for is probably WELL within the guidelines.

How long have earnings been at current level? If you have gaps in employment that could throw a monkey wrench into things...

Old 08-05-2011, 07:57 AM

Thank you for your reply! Maybe there is hope!

My husband has been a contractor since the beginning of April of this year. Prior to that, he made significantly less but was steadily employed.

So is it worth a shot to try to get pre-qualified?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 AM

Argh... looks like our credit score is actually about 623

What do you think?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,839,702 times
623 credit isn't going to cut it, but neither is your husband's employment. You need to show 2 years in the same industry. If he was salaried and now "self employed", you're going to have an issue as you have no tax returns showing the consistency of the new, higher income. They'll also wonder why you make $108k and have no savings... Not sure you've heard, but 100% financing is not really available these days unless you get a USDA loan.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,907,287 times
Getting qualified doesn't mean you will get approved. In fact, far from it.

Since your husband was earning so much less as recently as a few months ago, may I suggest you consider what you would do with this house if he lost his current job and was only earning what he used to? Would you be able to afford this house?

100% financing???? Please, go to an online calculator and really figure out what that's costing you.

In the meantime, it's great your husband has this increased income. May I suggest you not rush into buying a house that could easily become your worst financial nightmare and instead concentrate on taking that extra income, build a substantial emergency fund, and enough for closing costs plus 10% down - preferably 20%. If you're diligent, it won't take as long as you think.

And what about that substantial amount of debt you already have? What is it besides student loans? Credit cards and new cars, I'd bet. Get rid of most of that mess before you take on more debt, and you'll sleep better at night.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks for your honest answers! As I said, I was doubtful about it but wanted to confirm my thoughts. We will be able to apply for a VA loan next spring (1 year after the late payment), so we're just going to stay put, pay off debt, and save.

My thought was to get settled in our own place where we'd be putting what we pay for rent into an investment instead. Can't blame a gal for weighing all options!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,907,287 times
Consider it this way: you are investing in getting rid of that debt, having a secure financial future and, when you are truly ready, owning a home that you and your family can continue to afford and enjoy for years to come.

I'd call that a way better investment than giving tons of money to lenders in interest payments and PMI on a 100% loan.

And let's face it : there's no guaranty that real estate absolutely will appreciate. The quality of a home as an investment has really gone down the toilet in the past few years. And, IMHO, will not really Become an appreciating asset for many years to come.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,773,085 times
Why you will likely NOT get a loan approved:
1. Debt-to-income is too high. Pay off your debts asap.
2. Credit score is too low for cheap financing.
3. Down payment is essential. Spend less and save, save, save.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:04 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,500,441 times
Assuming that the $55K is fairly recent student loan debt it is likely that the monthly payment is well below $600. That leaves a HUGE amount for housing on an income of $108K.
Affordable Home Calculator from CNNMoney

Credit score of 623 will be OK for VA loan.

It makes sense to save up a bigger downpayment to not need to finance as much, as well as have emergancy fund and a cushion for normal savings too.

Lack of work history will be toughest thing to over come, and the only way to really "solve" that is by plugging away will the clock runs...

It is silly to say "pay off your debts ASAP" without knowing the OP's total picture -- the helpful online calculators can be abused but the ratios suggest the OP is WAY WAY "under shopping" and ought to be more than capable of shopping once the employment time is addressed. Frankly if the previous work was CONTINOUS and the current income is all verified the OP may be in pretty good shape.

Of course it is SMART to have a nice cushion for normal expenses as well as "emergancy fund" and that is a separate issue than merely "getting approved"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages