Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:10 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,192,019 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is the wrong place for such a question, but I couldn't see another more relevant choice.

I am a Canadian who owns a house in a US city. Legally the property is in my son's name, and so is the mortgage, because being a US resident, he was able to qualify as a home owner. So, he signed the mortgage papers for us and in exchange we gave him $3,000 cash. He has nothing to do with the rental business, we pay the mortgage every month and collect the income, and maintain the property 100%.

Because it's a rental property, this has affected his taxable income to his advantage. Last year he would have owed the IRS money but our rental property caused that to be negated. This year it's made a refund of several thousand $'s.

Before buying the house, we told him that we would cover any losses completely, should he end up having to pay more tax. We assumed if there was a credit, we would split the part that our house was responsible for, 50/50.

My question is - what do you think is a fair split?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 02:43 PM

8,584 posts, read 12,604,463 times
Hmmm....Business dealings with family can be complicated, eh?

While a 50/50 split may be "fair", your situation raises a lot of questions and a lot of red flags. Basically, your son owns a house upon which he obtained a mortgage to purchase it. You have a handshake agreement whereby you have agreed to cover all of his costs.

First off, what type of mortgage was received? Did he purchase the house under the guise of it being his principal residence? And if he is treating the house as a "rental property" on his federal income taxes, how is he showing any rental activity if you are handling all of the money? He may be claiming depreciation on the property, but there should be a corresponding business activity with a "rental". The depreciation will reduce the basis in the house--so once it is sold a larger taxable profit would likely be the result, and he will owe taxes on that amount.

I'd also inquire as to how you are treating the rental income...but I'll let that slide. With both the U.S. and Canadian taxing authorities in play, I don't envy your situation--it's sounds too complicated and perilous to my liking.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:21 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,573,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
We assumed ...
This ^^ is one of the biggest problems with your deal.

That and the fact that it might not stand under legal scrutiny.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,401,255 times
Personally it seems kind of petty to ask for a split of his tax advantage. Its not like it is money you would be getting otherwise.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,867,291 times
x2 on what Manderly6 just said. No profit has been realized, nothing has been earned. This is just tax advantage. He does not even have to take that as a refund. Depending on how he files and what his income is, he could as easily just apply it to next year's taxes.

Since you have nothing in writing with your son you should maybe try not to rock the boat with him. Or actually sit down with him and discuss the situation and try at this late date to get some sort of written agreement with him about the house.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,967,796 times
What's fair with you keeping all the rental income when it's your son who is risking everything for having the loan in his name? You're keeping the rental income, he gets to have the tax advantage. You need to put something IN WRITING for what will happen when you sell the house.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:06 AM

19,506 posts, read 28,240,767 times
JackinMichigan said what I was thinking far better than I could have.

But I'm wondering : I feel that this entire deal was fraud against the mortgage company. Does anybody else agree?

Old 07-15-2013, 05:18 AM

9,389 posts, read 15,131,224 times
I'd say if the house is generating some profit over expenses and your son gets a tax write off, then the deal is equitable. Presumably, you have in writing what the split will be when the house is sold?

Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,573,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
JackinMichigan said what I was thinking far better than I could have.

But I'm wondering : I feel that this entire deal was fraud against the mortgage company. Does anybody else agree?
Yes, that's why I said it might not stand under legal scrutiny.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:40 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,748,240 times
If I was the son.............I would say to my dad......

"Every year what I owe in taxes will vary on quite a few scenarios. Marriage, income, children, tax credits, etc, I do not wish to go over multiple tax scenarios with you or with an accountant together about my personal finances each year. I entered this agreement with you because at great personal risk, it would benefit me and also benefit you. I would ask you to just leave the tax situation alone. If you can't let it go, I would gladly step away from this whole deal and we can sell the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages