Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 PM

706 posts, read 1,308,951 times

Advertisements

Sorry for asking a question that probably many have, but I appreciate your time.

I am thinking of buying a place in Baltimore. I currently work in VA and have a business on the weekends in Baltimore. I am debating buying the place as a primary residence, but not sure how long I will live there concretely.

Is there a requirement for residency before renting out out your home? My guess is I would be there at least a year or more.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
As long as you buy it with the intentions of living there for a primary residence loan, you should be fine. No one could know what the future holds, and if you have to rent it out later, they can't force you to live there.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,915,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
As long as you buy it with the intentions of living there for a primary residence loan, you should be fine. No one could know what the future holds, and if you have to rent it out later, they can't force you to live there.
Not enough information to fully comment.....

First good explanation Falconhead, it this is your only home it should be easy. If your going to look to buy as a second home and investment property is no problem, but your going to be paying a higher rate.

It gets a little complicated if your trying to say this is your primary, and you have another property.

You saying your in Virgina. Do you have a home there now, that your looking to keep? This is going to show up on your credit report, showing an obligation to pay each month. You going to have to show you have enough income to support both property's. Plus your explain your intention is the live in Baltimore and rent out the property in Virgina.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages