Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,612,120 times

Advertisements

So...ugh...I think I need foot surgery.

How this is relevant to a mortgage is that I plan to buy a house this year - in the fall if my landlord will extend my lease six months.

I drive a stick shift; I'm currently unable to use my clutch without major pain. I look like this:

I don't have the use of anyone else's car, and, if you drive stick you can't drive for up to 8 weeks after foot surgery.

None of this is good...

Anyway, I'd planned on trading in my car late NEXT year. Say I do it this year, maybe in a month or so ... any new credit will bring down my FICO I know, but do you think it'll recover by say September? If I extend my lease six months it'll end at the end of October.

My alternatives are: 1) go nowhere for eight weeks (I live alone, do not really have people to drive me everywhere) or 2) rent an automatic before the surgery for a month or so (yikes)

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,623 posts, read 81,316,164 times
You never want to buy a new car that soon before a mortgage. If it were me, I'd sell the car yourself now. Use some of the money to rent an automatic, then save the rest toward the down payment on the new one after the mortgage loan has closed.

Depending on where you are a car rental is not that bad, some will give a good weekly rate. We recently rented a Focus in southern CA for $17/day
and that was for just 3 days. That's only about $500/month to save your credit.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 AM

Thanks, I think you're right. This is such a nightmare !

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,523,706 times
Do you have a car payment now?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,149,427 times
If you have good credit it does not hurt your score to get a new car loan. If you aren't tight on the debt to income ratio you can certainly buy a car right now. Have a lender look at your #'s and determine if a new car loan would even be close to knocking you out of qualifying.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,281,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
If you have good credit it does not hurt your score to get a new car loan. If you aren't tight on the debt to income ratio you can certainly buy a car right now. Have a lender look at your #'s and determine if a new car loan would even be close to knocking you out of qualifying.
Tim is spot on here. Mortgage rates and 'ability' to borrow are measured in both debt exposure, score and on time payments.

Best to get those specific details out to a loan officer before buying a new car.
Goodluck

Old 03-03-2012, 02:08 PM

Thanks all! I'm going to speak to a loan officer next week. I do have a car loan now, not totally sure of my payoff at the moment but my outstanding balance is definitely a lot less than a new car would be. My landlord said she'd extend my lease so the new lease would be up at the end of October.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:36 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,490,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You never want to buy a new car that soon before a mortgage. If it were me, I'd sell the car yourself now. Use some of the money to rent an automatic, then save the rest toward the down payment on the new one after the mortgage loan has closed.
Exactly! I am refinancing a rental home I have and almost bought a new car before doing this. I would of never been able to refinance if I would of done this. My debt/ratio would of been too high. I am waiting until I close on this and then may considering buying the car.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Yep. If you can afford it and have good credit, don't worry about the new car loan.

I think this is more of a worry for people who are on the edge. In which case I wouldn't advise buying anything.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 PM

It'll be interesting to see what they say - I do have good credit, but I have a lot of student loan debt. Still holding out hope that I can hold off on this surgery for a long time! Wishful thinking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages