Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 18,756 times

Advertisements

I bought a home 6 months ago in Central, NJ, paid 360K. The mortgage company had the home appraised so we could finalize the loan, and the appraisal came in at 382K. We have an FHA mortgage and put down 5% which required that we carry PMI. I understand that it is fairly difficult to get this lifted (80/20 loan2value), but some ppl I have spoken with have indicated that we most likely have 22K in equity based on the appraisal. I was also told that our loan2value ratio would have to be 80/20 in order to have the PMI lifted.

Can anyone give me some insight into what I'm dealing with here? Do I currently have more equity in the home than just the down payment? Because I went the FHA route does that put any restrictions when I can have my PMI lifted?

I have another question regarding the property that has to do with assesments and a letter from my attorney that was used for the closing..but I'll ask that after I get a better idea of what I'm currently dealing with..

Thank you in advance for any help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
PMI is private mortgage insurance.

You have MIP (FHA's mortgage insurance program).

You must pay MIP for a minimum of 5 years before you can request removal.

The only way you'll get out of it before then is to refinance to a conventional loan or an FHA loan with a term 15 years or less.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:15 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMove View Post
I bought a home 6 months ago in Central, NJ, paid 360K. The mortgage company had the home appraised so we could finalize the loan, and the appraisal came in at 382K. We have an FHA mortgage and put down 5% which required that we carry PMI. I understand that it is fairly difficult to get this lifted (80/20 loan2value), but some ppl I have spoken with have indicated that we most likely have 22K in equity based on the appraisal. I was also told that our loan2value ratio would have to be 80/20 in order to have the PMI lifted.

Can anyone give me some insight into what I'm dealing with here? Do I currently have more equity in the home than just the down payment? Because I went the FHA route does that put any restrictions when I can have my PMI lifted?

I have another question regarding the property that has to do with assesments and a letter from my attorney that was used for the closing..but I'll ask that after I get a better idea of what I'm currently dealing with..

Thank you in advance for any help...
The value of your home in any lender's eyes for the first 12 months is the purchase price or the appraised value...whichever one is less And like Debsi said, you are 'stuck' with mortgage insurance on your FHA loan for at least 5 years unless you refinance to a conventional loan or payoff the loan.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 AM

Appreciate the responses, and it looks as though I am stuck with the PMI for another 5 years. Thank you..

2nd question

I recieved a letter from my attorney who did our closing. The letter stated that based on our purchase price we might be paying too much in propertytaxes based on the properties assesment. He said their is an appeal process and its possible we could have our taxes lowered. My question..What is the likelihood that they will actually lower our property taxes? I don't have any firm numbers, with regards to the last assesment, but our propert taxes are currently a little less than 1000/month. Any help would be appreciated again..Thank You!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:05 AM

also..one other question..does the type of mortgage I have allow/not allow me to take out a HELOC based on the appraisal being 20K higher than the purchase price?

Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Appreciate the responses, and it looks as though I am stuck with the PMI for another 5 years. Thank you..

2nd question

I recieved a letter from my attorney who did our closing. The letter stated that based on our purchase price we might be paying too much in propertytaxes based on the properties assesment. He said their is an appeal process and its possible we could have our taxes lowered. My question..What is the likelihood that they will actually lower our property taxes? I don't have any firm numbers, with regards to the last assesment, but our propert taxes are currently a little less than 1000/month. Any help would be appreciated again..Thank You!
Check the county assessor's estimated market value vs. the appriased value. If the assessor has you considerably higher than the appraisal, find out how to contest. Bring your appraisal in to contest and the should address the discrepency. It may lower your tax bill.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
also..one other question..does the type of mortgage I have allow/not allow me to take out a HELOC based on the appraisal being 20K higher than the purchase price?
A lender will not do a HELOC based on that.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Trying to stop paying mortgage insurance and borrowing even more money on the property are mutually exclusive goals.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:17 AM

cool--thanks for all the info here--much appreciated

Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 AM

property was assessed at 185,200--purchase price was 362K. What am I looking at here? Appraisal came in at 385K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages