Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 AM

5 posts, read 11,064 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am buying my first home and I am supposed to close on Thursday the 31st. I got a phone call from my layer last Wednesday saying there is a title issue. I guess there is 4 names on the title, 2 of witch past away. I guess this issue existed back in 97 when the house sold the last time but it was over looked and no one took care of it. Anyway, I am not getting any information on if I will close Thursday or if It will get pushed to a different date, I was wondering if any one else had issues like this in the past and can tell me if this can be cleared up quickly or is this going to be dragged out for a long period of time? Any info would be great, I am nervous!! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,810,500 times
Sometimes these issues can be resolved quickly with an Affidavit, and sometimes they can drag out for months or even years. Plus, this varies greatly from state to state. Every state has different statutes regulating the descent of real property.

It will help in the long run if the current owner bought Owner's Title Insurance back in '97 when he bought the house, but that won't help in the short run. I hate to be discouraging, but prepare for a delay.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 PM

I just talked to the layers and they said they are hoping a week. I guess its a matter to getting the people to sign off on it. The sellers layer wanted to do the short way around it, witch if that was done then we would face this problem if we ever go to sell the house. So I am hoping with in a week this is resolved.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:53 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,810,500 times
You definitely want this problem resolved correctly, even if it delays the closing a few weeks. It will pop up again when you try to sell the house, and all those people will be long gone.

It might be a good idea to spring for the extra couple of hundred bucks and buy Owner's Title Insurance from the closing attorney.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 PM

Yes we purchased the insurance and we are going to ride it out. I just hope its done before the rate lock expires with the bank.... if it goes past that, then that will cause another loop whole.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM

5,345 posts, read 14,207,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannaswolcott91 View Post
Yes we purchased the insurance and we are going to ride it out. I just hope its done before the rate lock expires with the bank.... if it goes past that, then that will cause another loop whole.
fyi-you can get your locked extended for a small fee.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM

yes thats what I was told today. I just hope they fix the issue before that point.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,378 times
I'm in the same situation; was supposed to close on 3/31/11 (short sale by the way). Initially, my closing date of 3/31 wasn't going to happen because my lender didn't finalize until 3/28/11 and requires 48 hours notification to close; a closing date of 3/30/11 couldn't be set. Also, my attorney is out of town 3/31-4/4. Coincidentally, the same day (3/31) my lender finalized and my attorney contacted the seller's attorney regarding finalizing a closing date, BANG BANG, THERE'S NOTIFICATION THAT THERE'S A FREAKIN' TITLE ISSUE > SMH. I'm ready to %$^*&$#% MOVE!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 PM

That suck!! The layer told us that she says she has a faster method to have the out of town person sigh off on the title electronically. This should ave us time, We are hoping to close on or before the 8th. Wish me luck, I will wish you luck! I am packed to, I was going to move in the end of april so I could do some painting etc before we move in, Now it looks more like ill have to move in with in a week of closing, I dont want to have to pay another months rent on top or the mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages