Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 06:54 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,057,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
Long story short, an absolute fact is that our roads in this region are FAR worse than other areas of the state. There is a blatant and obvious contempt held towards our region by the state government. Unfortunately I doubt much will ever change. I will never vote to fund at thing under a ballot box initiative in this state ever again. Period. I do not believe the promised projects will ever be completed in our region. I'll certainly never invest money in a new car again for these roads.

With the infrastructure crumbling daily and Morgantown in general getting dumpier by the minute (its way worse than 10 years ago, just look at the dirty grimey exteriors of most things and the sidewalks for example), what is there to attract anyone to this area when better alternatives exist through the country?
Our area is going to thrive in spite of state government's blatant incompetence and neglect. There is too much positive momentum here for them to stop it. Investors will endure the pathetic patches they sometimes apply because this is where the activity and potential exist. Eventually, the state will have to come around and at least properly maintain what is here. They need our area as a cash cow to prop up the flagging south, which with it's aging, undereducated, and largely unhealthy population and dwindling prospects increasingly rely on what they can grab here and in the Eastern Panhandle to maintain their status quo. The Upper Ohio Valley will hold it's own, and will join us in prosperity mode if that $5+ billion cracker facility is built in Dillie's Bottom across from Moundsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 08:44 PM

83 posts, read 100,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
That is the funny part, I and many many others currently use the neighborhoods to avoid that intersection. But in regards to who it is, I think the current rumor is that it is one of the land owners in the general area (not WVU).
You'd think that they would have a web site providing information, alternatives or something besides the signs. Doesn't seem well thought out. I'd put my money on Preate.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:15 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,057,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhaney View Post
You'd think that they would have a web site providing information, alternatives or something besides the signs. Doesn't seem well thought out. I'd put my money on Preate.
Might you mean Prete?

Home - Prete Rental

Old 01-24-2019, 07:11 AM

273 posts, read 382,704 times
Quote:
There has been a major slip on the main road I drive on ever day to work. The DOH has known about the slip for over a year (it started early in 2017) because they came out and installed yield signs warning the road was becoming a one way road as the slip gets worse. This also happens to be one of the main ways to get to the entire western part of Mon county (lots of big trucks). It is completely pathetic and such a joke.
I know just where you’re talking about. They won’t do anything until it moves again and actually closes a lane.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhaney View Post
But who is the group behind it? The signs say something about keeping traffic out of the neighborhoods, but I fail to see how the roundabout would cause more traffic in the neighborhoods. Several streets in the area such as Junior and Burroughs are already heavily used shortcuts in part because of the poor design of the intersection at Collins Ferry and University. Maybe they would prefer a traffic light.
Couldn’t tell you who. Wish I knew actually.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:27 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,232,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
I know just where you’re talking about. They won’t do anything until it moves again and actually closes a lane.
Seriously, it seems like they are waiting for the hillside to fall off (they might get their wish come spring). The sad thing is, if you look closely they have had slips there before because you can see concrete retaining walls off to the sides and the area without them is the part that is slipping. It is like watching a slow moving train wreck as the guard rails and cable lines slowly move away from the road and down the hill.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Seriously, it seems like they are waiting for the hillside to fall off (they might get their wish come spring). The sad thing is, if you look closely they have had slips there before because you can see concrete retaining walls off to the sides and the area without them is the part that is slipping. It is like watching a slow moving train wreck as the guard rails and cable lines slowly move away from the road and down the hill.
I have to imagine it’s easier (and cheaper) to fix before half the road is gone.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:15 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,232,003 times
I drove through that intersection (where the round about is going) on the way to get Pho Soup yesterday and I noticed all of the signs now are concentered on one property. The shopping center that burned down and then was rebuilt is where all of the signs are now. So it seems whoever owns that is the person most likely behind the signs.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:50 PM

202 posts, read 218,887 times
Quote:
I drove through that intersection (where the round about is going) on the way to get Pho Soup yesterday and I noticed all of the signs now are concentered on one property. The shopping center that burned down and then was rebuilt is where all of the signs are now. So it seems whoever owns that is the person most likely behind the signs.
It's Sellaro's Plaza. I think the owner was in the DP a while a back fight the roundabout. Said the intersection was fine as is.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:26 PM

491 posts, read 611,364 times
Got word the contract for Patteson, Van Voorhis, and 705 is out for bid right now. Completion date set for July 15th. Construction to begin immediately after the bid is awarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown