Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:50 PM

503 posts, read 772,436 times

Advertisements

We have the potential to relocate for a job in Fairmont and have a lot of questions -
We have two elementary aged children - are there activities in Fairmont - i.e. dance, gymnastics, little league baseball? How are the schools?
Are there good, non-chain restaurants? Nightlife? We aren't crazy party people, but we enjoy a night out to a good restaurant.
Housing - 300-400k range? I saw a few on-line - but not much.

Or would we be better off living in Morgantown and commuting? How is that in the winter? - we currently live in FL and don't have to deal with winter weather.

Just looking for a little insight from the locals! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 06:19 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL111 View Post
We have the potential to relocate for a job in Fairmont and have a lot of questions -
We have two elementary aged children - are there activities in Fairmont - i.e. dance, gymnastics, little league baseball? How are the schools?
Are there good, non-chain restaurants? Nightlife? We aren't crazy party people, but we enjoy a night out to a good restaurant.
Housing - 300-400k range? I saw a few on-line - but not much.

Or would we be better off living in Morgantown and commuting? How is that in the winter? - we currently live in FL and don't have to deal with winter weather.

Just looking for a little insight from the locals! Thanks.
There are activities.

The schools are only ok. Morgantown about 15 minutes away has the better schools, among the very best in WV.

Restaurants are good I guess. Never ate there alot but it is famous for authentic italian food. Morgantown has a ton of authentic restaurants.

With your range you are gold on housing in fairmont, and are doing well for Morgantown.

Winter is cold and snowy. Have all wheel drive.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
Yeah, you might be better off looking at houses in the Cheat Lake area near Morgantown. The commute to Fairmont is easy and most of the amenities are in and around Morgantown. That's not to say Fairmont is devoid of things to do, but most people go up to Morgantown.

I don't know about Fairmont, but the best elementary schools are Suncrest Primary and Cheat Lake Elementary. I have a friend who teaches at Cheat Lake and says that everyone wants their kid to go there. And there are plenty of opportunities for your kids - I'm sure there's some good dance studios, pretty good Little League (there's a team from Bridgeport playing in the LLWS regional in NC), and Fairmont is home to Mary Lou Retton and Morgantown has WVU's gymnastics team (which I have a friend on there as well), so there's pretty good gymnastics around too.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 AM

49 posts, read 107,684 times
I live in Morgantown and commute to Fairmont, and it's not that bad, about 25 min total, 10 of that is just getting out of Morgantown.
The winter really isn't that bad, there might be 1-2 days that are really messy, but really not that bad, I have a RWD car that I put snow tires on and i did just fine, FWD or AWD would be fine with all season tires.

I can't speak to Fairmont's Housing Market, but 300-400k will give you a lot of great options in Morgantown, I'm assuming the same for Fairmont.

Morgantown is great for non-chain options. I usually don't eat out that much but this weekend we had a friend come into town and well we decided not to cook. We got Pizza Al's Friday night, coffee at Blue Moose cafe Saturday & Sunday, Appetizer's at the Vintage room Saturday. Burrito's and Taco's at Chico Fats Satuday night. Sunday we had brunch at the Golden Finch and had dinner at Coach's Crab Shack. All of these places except Pizza Al's are in downtown Morgantown. Being a college town the nightlife is loaded with options.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM

49 posts, read 92,961 times
I raised my children in Fairmont (moved there from Pittsburgh). Love Fairmont. It's a great place to raise kids.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:59 PM

503 posts, read 772,436 times
Thanks for your info. We decided to stay put where we are. While I am sure its a great place to live - we really don't think we can deal with the cold weather!!!

Old 09-24-2013, 04:49 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
You're missing out on the opportunity to have some of the best summer weather in the country. While you're sweltering down there in Tampa (we have a winter condo in Florida), up here we are basking in mid 80s temps and loving it. Plus, out bug issues are not even remotely close to as bad as what you have there in Florida.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 AM

32 posts, read 59,656 times
We moved from South FL to Morgantown almost three years ago now and dove right into the winter storms in Dec. The cold weather isn't really that bad because you aren't outside that much. Overall (all four seasons combined) we enjoy the weather up here more than South FL.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:14 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
People in this country have become whiners and spoiled. A little cold never hurt anyone. Beats hot and humid

Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiainflorida View Post
We moved from South FL to Morgantown almost three years ago now and dove right into the winter storms in Dec. The cold weather isn't really that bad because you aren't outside that much. Overall (all four seasons combined) we enjoy the weather up here more than South FL.
Overall, our weather is very good here in North Central WV. Our summers are typically moderate, and our winters mild unless you go up into the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown