Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,275 times

Advertisements

I currently live in New Jersey, USA and would LOVE and very interested to live in Montreal, QC.
I never been to Canada, but I've been doing some researches about Montreal.

The reason why I would love to live there for couple of years (maybe lifelong?) is that they speak FRENCH. I LOVE French, been always interested of that language and culture, and love to learn it. I'm from Europe originally, so I'm used to both American and European culture.
I do not speak french, but would love to learn it.
Montreal is also very european feel, it looks beautiful and I heard it's amazing city! They also use metric units, free health care etc.

I heard it's also cheaper to live there than it is in New Jersey/New York area. Winters are very cold, which stink, altough I love snow. Summers are warm to hot, which is good

So, my question is:
1. Could you move to Canada (Quebec) easy if you have EU and US passport? I'm American and EU Citizen.
2. I do not know anyone there. Easy to make friends?
3. Is it good experience to live there for couple of years, then move back?
4. Will I find work there if I do not speak French?
5. What's more expensive in Montreal than it is here in NJ/NY?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,779,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_J View Post
I currently live in New Jersey, USA and would LOVE and very interested to live in Montreal, QC.
I never been to Canada, but I've been doing some researches about Montreal.

The reason why I would love to live there for couple of years (maybe lifelong?) is that they speak FRENCH. I LOVE French, been always interested of that language and culture, and love to learn it. I'm from Europe originally, so I'm used to both American and European culture.
I do not speak french, but would love to learn it.
Montreal is also very european feel, it looks beautiful and I heard it's amazing city! They also use metric units, free health care etc.

I heard it's also cheaper to live there than it is in New Jersey/New York area. Winters are very cold, which stink, altough I love snow. Summers are warm to hot, which is good

You think winter in Montreal is warmer than NJ? You may be in a for a shock when you find Montreal is colder and snowier.

So, my question is:
1. Could you move to Canada (Quebec) easy if you have EU and US passport? I'm American and EU Citizen.

Easy? No easier than it is for any other nationality. Immigration requirements/processes for Canada can be found at Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

2. I do not know anyone there. Easy to make friends?
3. Is it good experience to live there for couple of years, then move back?
4. Will I find work there if I do not speak French?
5. What's more expensive in Montreal than it is here in NJ/NY?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
No, I said winters in Canada are much colder and snowier.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:23 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,973,501 times
Just ignore him CornerGuy, just a kid who keeps showing up here bashing everything to do with the US and extolling how great every other place in the World is. Better, more progressive, smarter, fitter, etc....

Old 02-04-2010, 12:19 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,779,162 times
Well maybe he'll get a wider appreciation for home as he ages and sees more of the world.........and returns under yet another screen name.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-04-2010 at 12:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal