Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 05:41 AM

7 posts, read 28,923 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are a gay couple with children and we are going to move to Montreal from Europe next year,

Since one of us is just a basic french speaker, we think it should't be a problem for us to live somewhere close to Montreal.

Which area you think is relatively reasonable for real eastate invesment and good to have a family life,

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
When you say one of you has just a little bit of French, does this mean that the other has fluent French or no French at all?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If you are looking to buy real estate it can be very expensive downtown.
The housing section of Craigslist will give you an idea of prices in various neighborhoods around the city.
craigslist: montreal classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

The neighborhoods, Ville Marie being the downtown area.

http://www.solutions-graffiti.com/up...real%20map.jpg

Old 08-02-2012, 02:33 PM

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
When you say one of you has just a little bit of French, does this mean that the other has fluent French or no French at all?
i mean he is fluent.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 PM

thank you for the map.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:19 PM

11 posts, read 21,967 times
If you want to live in the city proper, I suggest the neighborhood of Villeray. It's part of the quartier Villeray/St-Michel/Parc-Extension, which has its good parts and less amazing parts - but Villeray is a real gem. I can't remember the official borders, but basically bounded by Blvd St-Laurent and Papineau west-east, and Jean-Talon/Hwy 40 south-north.

Housing prices are cheaper than areas closer to downtown, and the neighborhood is a wonderful mix of young people, families, and been-there-forever older folks. Originally its own municipality in years past, it retains its small-town, neighborhood feel with its locus at de Castelnau/Henri-Julien. Marché Jean-Talon is close by, and Parc Jarry is an excellent park for both passive and active recreational use. The Housing stock there is mostly older, though some new condos have been built in recent years.

My favorite memories from living there are hearing the neighborhood children play in the ruelle behind my apartment at all hours of the day - it was like one big backyard for the whole street.
Neither my partner nor I were fluent in French upon arrival but found everyone very patient with us until we got up to speed.

The neighborhood to the south - Rosemont-Petite-Patrie - would be a good choice as well.

Good luck - I miss it there!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 PM

408 posts, read 607,543 times
I agree with above poster, and will add that for a marginal bump in price Mile-end will have you right in the middle of the Plateau mont-royal bustle, yet with many young families around. Bagels a block away, quiet at night, dreamy neighbourhood imo

You'll love it here in any case!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 AM

thanks to everyone who took their time to read and respond, thanks indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal