Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM

28 posts, read 126,476 times

Advertisements

Just considering an option before deciding on my next relocation.

I will NOT qualify for any of the long-term visas. That said, I have some things in my favor...

Money isn't an object for me. I have plenty to live on/rent a place, even if I have to pay the whole term of a lease up front.

I work freelance from my computer, and can work from anywhere in the world, so finding a job is a non-issue.

I have a passport and no criminal background or anything. I'd love to get an official visa for work or whatever, but my particular line of work doesn't qualify me for any of them.

So, is it possible to come as a visitor, rent a place, and live for a year or more, so long as I don't have to integrate into the workforce? Montreal's my favorite city in the world, and now that I have the professional freedom to live and work wherever I wish, it would be nice if I could. I've explored the official channels, now wondering about the back doors. One of the immigration officials I talked to commented that, "officially, you can't stay permanently, or get a long term visa. I repeat...OFFICIALLY...", implying in no uncertain terms that I might want to explore unofficial channels.

What say you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 08:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,770,158 times
I say there are no "unofficial" channels.

However, is it possible to enter Canada purporting to be a visitor and then to stay illegally? Sure.

Living illegally presents some challenges, though. You won't eligible for health care, vehicle registration may be problematic, and travel could provide an issue.

The travel issues could arise simply because, if left Canada to travel somewhere, you have no guaranteed access to return to the country. Might be disappointing to have your home base established and then be denied entry.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:16 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,257,196 times
Things like getting a bank account, writing checcks and crossing the border back into the US will prove to be problems for you, that said I'm sure there are people who have done what you're speaking of for a while.

Who knows, if your straight, maybe you'll meet and girl and get married, that won't be an option if you're gay as even though gay mariage may be legal in Canada, I don't think it works for immigration purposes yet.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:25 AM

412 posts, read 941,301 times
I'm in a similar situation (American, freelance work, so a job won't be required), except that I would like to do everything the official way. I can get enough points for permanent residency, but I'm not sure how to move my business from the US to Canada.

Anyway, one thing that I considered was moving to Canada to learn French on a student Visa. The universities in Montreal have full and part-time programs for learning French. If you don't already know French and want to learn, that might be an option for you. I don't understand Canada's rules for doing freelance work and having an income while living in Canada on a student Visa. You'd want to check on that before making a move.

Regarding moving to Canada for a year without a Visa or permanent residency - it's my understanding that, if Canadian officials found out and had to kick you out of the country, it would be difficult, if not impossible, for you to ever visit Canada again.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:53 PM

99 posts, read 376,135 times
Smile Get a visa

Setting up shop somewhere where you could be legally grabbed and thrown on the next plane out of the country seems like an awfully risky maneuver.

If someone were a freelance worker who earned income over the internet (as a writer perhaps?) then wouldn't that person qualify as a self-employed worker for the purposes of immigration?

I think that a person would be much better off looking into all of the legal and proper methods of immigration, rather than trying something sketchy and potentially embarrassing/disastrous.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:59 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,612,570 times
I don't see a problem. I think that it's just like me going to my place in Florida. I can go for 6 months without a visa. So move to Montreal rent a place and slip back over the border to Vermont every 6 months for a weekend. If you are working over the net just keep your business in the states. Have all your money deposited to an account in the USA and live off your debit card and your credit cards. File your income taxes as an American. Consider yourself as a visitor to Canada.
I would check all this out with a good immigration lawyer but I'll bet I'm right. Keep your legal address with your parents or friends. Health insurance for Americans visiting Canada is way less than you have to pay for the same insurance in the USA. I read on another forum a young guy who paid $80 a month for good coverage while spending an extended time here.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,059,110 times
i would not risk it. even if you spent 6 months and crossed the border to VT for a weekend and tried to cross back, Canadian customs might question you. As for renting an apartment, some landlords will do a background check, mine required a SIN number (Canadian SSN) w/c you cannot get as a (illegal) visitor. Best to live in Burlington and drive over for long weekends, if you don't have enough points to migrate.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:31 PM

728 posts, read 1,971,393 times
All this would would be risky, try to do a legal way. Montreal is an amazing city though, was there this summer would love to live there, If I knew French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal