Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 07:55 AM

3,280 posts, read 2,732,638 times

Advertisements

Ah! Quebec will never change. Honestly, for those thinking of moving to Quebec, don't. You're better off going to Ontario or another province/U.S state.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...-caq-1.5351155
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 08:16 AM

26,921 posts, read 38,223,160 times
It makes for great headlines but bureaucratic stupidity or errors exist everywhere.

I would expect this to be rectified eventually and that she will be accepted.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,484,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Ah! Quebec will never change. Honestly, for those thinking of moving to Quebec, don't. You're better off going to Ontario or another province/U.S state.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...-caq-1.5351155
Seems Quebec is doing its best to motivate new immigrants to not come to Quebec through their obcessive dwelling on linguistic and religious demands of anyone thinking of moving to Quebec.The ROC is laughing all the way to the prosperity bank as new immigrants avoid Quebec and settle elsewhere in Canada.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:10 AM

26,921 posts, read 38,223,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems Quebec is doing its best to motivate new immigrants to not come to Quebec through their obcessive dwelling on linguistic and religious demands of anyone thinking of moving to Quebec.The ROC is laughing all the way to the prosperity bank as new immigrants avoid Quebec and settle elsewhere in Canada.
Another one for the "Bad Frenchies" file, eh?

(We also have our own file on you guys. Just so you know. )

Old 11-07-2019, 03:11 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,484,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Another one for the "Bad Frenchies" file, eh?

(We also have our own file on you guys. Just so you know. )
I'm talking about the governments actions and not francophones individually, i dont believe in animosity toward francophones in general just the racist xenophobic legislation its government lays on its immigrants and non francophone residents.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:52 PM

3,280 posts, read 2,732,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It makes for great headlines but bureaucratic stupidity or errors exist everywhere.

I would expect this to be rectified eventually and that she will be accepted.
While they do exist elsewhere, show me where someone was denied their residency application over ONE chapter written in English, or any language. It's just the typical Quebec thing, hysteria over anything not French. Really sucks that this place will never change.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:41 PM

290 posts, read 181,316 times
good, French is the language of Québec and should be respected.

Show me an anglo that can speak anything but English.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:00 PM

3,979 posts, read 5,814,636 times
When I first read the article earlier today I too thought that the application denial was unduly harsh but then again, having read up about the language system of Quebec and the attitude of some Quebecois bureaucrats, I knew something as absurd as this was bound to happen. Be mindful that bureaucrats are not often the most highly educated or sympathetic individuals out there; more often they are mere paper pushers making a system work to their bests interests. If one reads the article carefully, the reader will discover that this graduate was warned her thesis may not pass muster back in 2018 but she did try to find a way around the roadblock by taking and passing a government sanctioned French test. The ministry probably already made up their minds by then that this young woman would not be the right fit for residency or worse a cultural threat because though French, she is daring enough to publish in English.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:38 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,153,947 times
All this story means is that these bureaucrats have absolutely no idea about the realities of doctoral studies and why some (many) students at French-speaking universities write part or all their thesis in English. If you want to be published in a good scientific journal, your paper has to be in English. In many fields, a doctoral thesis is a collection of articles you hope to publish shortly after you graduate, because tenure decisions are overwhelmingly based on scientific productivity.

The irony in all of this is that this woman probably read 750 articles in English (and maybe 3 in French) during her Ph.D., yet her rejection is based on a chapter of her thesis that was written in English but certainly extensively discussed in French with her colleagues and with members of her committee, just like everything else that happened during her Ph.D. This is not about protection of the French language. It is about an idiotic rule that was enforced by an idiot.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:18 AM

2,419 posts, read 1,609,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post
good, French is the language of Québec and should be respected.

Show me an anglo that can speak anything but English.
I can, as can many tens of thousands of fellow Anglos living in Ottawa/Gatineau. Bilingualism is alive and well in the National Capital Region
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal