Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:37 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,779,882 times

Advertisements

There was an article I read last year stating that English speakers in Quebec, especially away from Greater Montreal, tend to have less income, lower paying jobs, poorer health, and general poorer living qualities than native French speakers. The English speaking population in rural areas formerly dominated by English speakers like the Eastern Townships is aging and dwindling; I don't think there will be a replenishment of new English speakers there anytime in the future. Greater Montreal may still attract Anglophones from elsewhere and English will still be an important language there but every once in a while one can still encounter someone who cannot speak English. I for one cannot understand why anyone anyone want to live in Quebec nowadays and not know French, even in Greater Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 08:55 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I wonder what life is like being a monolingual English speaking Canadian in Quebec. Can you make yourself understandable in stores?
You'll almost always be able to find someone who can speak to you in English, even if it's not the first person you deal with. Also, information is not always pro-actively provided in English, either written or spoken. If a bus driver is making an announcement to everyone like that he won't be stopping at the next station, and if you need to go there you need to get off at Place de la Cité and then take the 67 across the street, then this will most certainly be said in French only. Just like a supermarket employee who announces to everyone that their e-system is down and they're only taking cash only. None of this is a big deal and of course you can work around it, but it is a bit of a hassle if you live hear and have to deal with this daily.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I for one cannot understand why anyone anyone want to live in Quebec nowadays and not know French, even in Greater Montreal.
Because for many French is irrelavant in their lives as they live and work in an English milieu,their forms of entertainment are English,all their social connections are English they vacation outside Quebec,so what need do they have for French?

Old 11-19-2018, 06:44 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,779,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Because for many French is irrelavant in their lives as they live and work in an English milieu,their forms of entertainment are English,all their social connections are English they vacation outside Quebec,so what need do they have for French?
Here's an article in the Montreal Gazette from just a few days ago providing reasons why:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ish-and-french

Here's one from MTL Blog just today reiterating what the above article said but in fewer words:

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/montrea...-everyone-else

I get that retirees from the older generation of English speakers feel most comfortable conversing only in English and probably do not feel ashamed of speaking on English. Somewhere else on this forum I recall someone saying that for the most part, it is the Anglophone Quebecers over the age of 55 that still demand to be serviced in English. The younger generation is not likely to feel the same way about speaking French. For them, making money and integrating with the mainstream Quebecois culture is more important. Read the article and you'll find that the vast majority of Quebec workers can speak at least some French. I bet you a lot of people will not feel comfortable being greeted by "bonjour" day after day and not know how to respond. I certainly would.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post

I get that retirees from the older generation of English speakers feel most comfortable conversing only in English and probably do not feel ashamed of speaking on English. Somewhere else on this forum I recall someone saying that for the most part, it is the Anglophone Quebecers over the age of 55 that still demand to be serviced in English. The younger generation is not likely to feel the same way about speaking French. For them, making money and integrating with the mainstream Quebecois culture is more important. Read the article and you'll find that the vast majority of Quebec workers can speak at least some French. I bet you a lot of people will not feel comfortable being greeted by "bonjour" day after day and not know how to respond. I certainly would.
I worked in an entirely French environment for 35 years,needless to say i spoke French now 10 years into retirement i find i have very little need for the French language and have forgotten much ,however im not the type to demand to be spoken to in English,if some one initiates a converseation in French i will do my best to repond in that language, that said im not about to throw away my English culture just so i can talk French to myself.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:52 AM

Ahhh... Anglo-Montreal.

Trying its darndest to prove that knowing French is useless - since 1763.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ahhh... Anglo-Montreal.

Trying its darndest to prove that knowing French is useless - since 1763.
its useless to me.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
its useless to me.
Quod erat demonstrandum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal