Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 06:53 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,167,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post

Those figures will mean trouble..and a failure of the education system....

Not really. The percentage of bilinguals continues to rise in Quebec. Younger generations are more than 50% bilingual in French and English. Maybe a bit higher even.

Also, "knowing English" =/= "being educated".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
With 40 percent speaking only French..in Canada, there's no region claiming independence in western Europe with those figures!!!! In Catalonia everybody is bilingual or three lingual as English is becoming the real lingua franca with the massive presence of tourists, and French is also spoken by people over 55.
The approx. 40% speaking only French in Montreal is actually the second lowest French only percentage in Quebec. The lowest is my own city of Gatineau which is about 35%. We are right next to Ontario, across from Canada's capital city of Ottawa.

Most other parts of Quebec including several major cities have between 65-80% of the population that speaks French only.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:56 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,850,285 times
Quote:
With 40 percent speaking only French..in Canada, there's no region claiming independence in western Europe with those figures!!!! In Catalonia everybody is bilingual or three lingual as English is becoming the real lingua franca with the massive presence of tourists, and French is also spoken by people over 55.

Those figures will mean trouble..and a failure of the education system. I don't think there are many Spanish in Canada, as the country makes many people recall a popsicle, just like Proust's cupcakes.

Salaries are indeed higher, but so are taxes...
I like to cook. Do you have a recipe for “Proust’s Cupcakes”?

Old 11-06-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I like to cook. Do you have a recipe for “Proust’s Cupcakes”?
I think he is referring to "madeleines". I definitely know both Proust and madeleines, but never thought of the latter as "cupcakes".

Old 11-06-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I heard Spanish spoken for the first time during my last visit to Montreal this past May. Then again, these were probably immigrants from Latin America and not Spain.
Yes, almost certainly Latin Americans. Spanish is actually heard quite often in Montreal. In some parts of the city you hear it more than English.

In recent years, it passed Italian as the second-most common non-official language in the city, not too far behind Arabic. (Italian does not get a boost from new immigrants, whereas Spanish and Arabic do.)

In terms of people with knowledge of the language, Spanish is the third-most commonly spoken (as in "known") language in Montreal, after French and English. In addition to the native speakers of Spanish, many francophones in Montreal also can speak Spanish, usually as a third language.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:36 AM

622 posts, read 430,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think he is referring to "madeleines". I definitely know both Proust and madeleines, but never thought of the latter as "cupcakes".

Madalenas, more or less cupcakes.
But how a developed country can have those low rates of bilingualism?
We are not talking about some minor language here, but English...
If English is a total necessity in countries like Spain to obtain any significant job, figure yourself Canada...
Those low rates will equate in inequality.
We have a Montreal near here, once heard that the town was founded by the same religious order than Montreal.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Madalenas, more or less cupcakes.
But how a developed country can have those low rates of bilingualism?
We are not talking about some minor language here, but English...
If English is a total necessity in countries like Spain to obtain any significant job, figure yourself Canada...
Those low rates will equate in inequality.
We have a Montreal near here, once heard that the town was founded by the same religious order than Montreal.
Quebec's rate of English knowledge is higher than that of most EU countries and is about on par with that of Germany.

Anyone who would need to know English for their job in Quebec will know English.

It's no big deal really.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:17 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,850,285 times
Madeleines, like other French goodies, look tasty but probably take some skill to make.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_(cake)

Old 11-18-2018, 02:37 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Very roughly half the population can be said to be unilingual. Probably around 40% speaks only French, and around 10% speaks only English.
I wonder what life is like being a monolingual English speaking Canadian in Quebec. Can you make yourself understandable in stores? What do French speaking Canadians think of monolingual English speakers, are they discriminated? Do monolingual English speakers get the low paying jobs?

Old 11-18-2018, 06:49 AM

631 posts, read 566,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I wonder what life is like being a monolingual English speaking Canadian in Quebec. Can you make yourself understandable in stores? What do French speaking Canadians think of monolingual English speakers, are they discriminated? Do monolingual English speakers get the low paying jobs?
It would be easy for them to communicate in stores. Francophone Quebeckers generally expect Anglophone Canadians (and everyone) who have made Quebec their home to learn French and to make that effort to use French when communicating with them, although they will rarely say it to them directly. If the Anglophone had a highly sought-after skill, they could still land a good job. Otherwise, they would likely struggle without French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal