Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 05:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,903,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No fusion it was not because the other conversation we were having, but i do see that sort of things on here and in person.
well I just want to be clear I am not in favour of any religion having any influence over our laws and institutions. If that line were ever to be crossed by any group i'd be the first one wanting to stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 05:50 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,825,141 times
Quote:
Quebecois are probably the most secular people in Canada, and they also have to most back bone to speak up against religious people. They don' have this "Christianity bad everyone else good" mentality that the rest of Canada has.
Actually, British Columbia is the most irreligious province.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_in_Canada

So, most Canadians think Christians are bad?

Old 05-23-2018, 05:59 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,420,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

Interesting. I have read before that Quebec was the most secular province. I will look it up.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:07 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Quote:
Interesting. I have read before that Quebec was the most secular province. I will look it up.
It is IMO. But the explanation is... complicated.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

Well I will say that lots of Canadians seem less willing to cut Christians some slack than they are for other religions.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,903,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well I will say that lots of Canadians seem less willing to cut Christians some slack than they are for other religions.
Or perhaps they just don't treat Christianity as something special vs other religions.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is IMO. But the explanation is... complicated.
Well IMO it's BC.

So where does that leave us? Nowhere of course. There must be hard stats on this. I've heard for years that BC was the most secular province. Bedtime, so tomorrow hopefully someone can post some stats etc.

Perhaps, in Quebec it just FEELS like you are more secular because of the oppression and control the Catholic church had on the province until the 1960's, so the contrast is greater and that history has been passed down.

That history may also make people more vocal about their secularism.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well IMO it's BC.

So where does that leave us? Nowhere of course. There must be hard stats on this. I've heard for years that BC was the most secular province. Bedtime, so tomorrow hopefully someone can post some stats etc.

Perhaps, in Quebec it just FEELS like you are more secular because of the oppression and control the Catholic church had on the province until the 1960's, so the contrast is greater and that history has been passed down.

That history may also make people more vocal about their secularism.
It's almost an apples to oranges comparison.

Quebec has a higher level of religious affiliation because of all the people who answer "Catholic" who view that religion as part of their culture. For perhaps a majority of these people there is very little that's religious about this affiliation, and they certainly don't follow the Pope or Cardinals' tenets or think that everyone should. I know that probably sounds weird to some but it's a very common situation in many Latin or Romance countries that have a Catholic tradition.

BC (and even Alberta) definitely have higher numbers for "no religious affiliation" but they also have bible belt regions within them that do not exist at all anywhere in Quebec.

Also there isn't anywhere else in Canada where the place of religion in public institutions and accommodation thereof is a matter of public debate as it is in Quebec. And where politicians feel the need to step up to the plate to defend "secularism".

Old 05-24-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Or perhaps they just don't treat Christianity as something special vs other religions.
That's not really what I had in mind.

Some segments of Christianity get ragged on regarding the issue of creationism, but OTOH some others almost get a free pass from the same critics with respect to their treatment of women.

In the debate over sex ed in Ontario schools the focus of "those who deplore" has been mostly on fundamentalist Christians, and yet if you look at who's been protesting, most of those people don't appear to be Christian at all.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
It does seem in the modern climate of political correctness (that has gripped Anglo-Canada and much of the USA) that it is okay to bash Christianity and glorify Islam, Buddhism, Wicca, etc. Quebec seems to be more immune to this.

Really?=
What you need to know about Quebec's religious neutrality legislation | CBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal