Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 06:02 AM

14 posts, read 24,799 times

Advertisements

Hi

After weeks of looking over the internet, we're thinking about hiring an educational consultant to help us find schools for our children. Without actually being there to visit and talk to teachers, it's really difficult to choose.

Has anyone had experience using an educational consultant? Anyone you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 06:55 AM

26,947 posts, read 38,318,969 times
This is the first I've heard of this type of service. I did not know that this profession existed.

I don't know how much this would cost you but my sense is still that one could do this search without an expensive consultant by using the socio-economic profiles already provided on here, and matching them to the nicer or gentrified neighbourhoods like Outremont, Westmount, Ville Mont-Royal, Plateau Mont-Royal, Rosemont, Petite-Patrie, etc.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:51 AM

Hi Acajack

Thanks for your reply. Could you point me to the thread/info that details the social-economic profiles?

Old 04-25-2016, 08:11 AM

I posted it here a few months ago:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/montr...l#post42962082

Old 04-26-2016, 01:22 AM

Thanks. I did try and follow the info you posted and come up with a shortlist but felt overwhelmed; hence decision to use a consultant. It would be a lot easier if we were there, able to visit school and area at the same time. We love the Plateau where we stayed on our visits but it's probably not the best (price, parking) for bringing up a young family but we don't really know the other areas.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:43 AM

565 posts, read 678,725 times
We don't know where you are from, but I suspect school funding works differently here than it does in your current location. Wherever they are in Quebec, all public schools receive the same funding from the government. The government then gives additional funding to schools in socio-demographically challenged areas. Which means, basically, that if your school is in a neighbourhood where the average revenues and average education levels of the parents are below average, the schools receive additional funding in order to provide more services (orthophonists, special education teachers, psychologists, psychoeducators, social workers, etc), to give an equal chance to all kids.

In the end, it gives more equal chances to all kids, and also means that the school you will send your kids to doesn't matter that much.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
We don't know where you are from, but I suspect school funding works differently here than it does in your current location. Wherever they are in Quebec, all public schools receive the same funding from the government. The government then gives additional funding to schools in socio-demographically challenged areas. Which means, basically, that if your school is in a neighbourhood where the average revenues and average education levels of the parents are below average, the schools receive additional funding in order to provide more services (orthophonists, special education teachers, psychologists, psychoeducators, social workers, etc), to give an equal chance to all kids.

In the end, it gives more equal chances to all kids, and also means that the school you will send your kids to doesn't matter that much.
These are very good points.

Bottom line is that if you choose a relatively nice neighbourhood then the school that serves it will be OK.

You don't have much "skimming" of élite students by private schools at the elementary level in Montreal, though this does manifest itself in a big way once you get to secondary school.

Another thing is that it might be a good idea for the OP to contact the school board for an idea about programs for dyslexic children.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:00 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I'm based in France at the moment, after 10 years in Nigeria but originally from the UK. I'm in a small town in France and all the schools are pretty much on a similar level. In UK cities, especially London, schools really are a post-code lottery and parents often move house so they can be in the right catchment area for a good school. In fact, that's how we've been approaching the school search in Montreal - find a few good schools first and then look at the areas. So it's interesting to hear you guys say that it should be the other way around i.e. find the area, then the school. So why is the Palmarès such a big deal for both public and private schools?

Private school (other than the AEFE schools) really isn't an option for elementary due to high costs. Secondary school?...We'll see.

And yes I will contact the Montreal school board to ask about programs for dyslexic children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal