Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 02:53 PM

127 posts, read 269,116 times

Advertisements

night life is dying for sure.
you can park your car on crescent saturday night. 10 years ago i wasn't even able to walk how crowded it was.people don't have money or afraid to waste money on bars and night clubs.
when it comes to the economy it's another story. the tendency is small restaurants, hole in the wall. coffee shops are over crowded by students. Adonis opened on st catherine, killed provigo, PA and ALMIZAN still doing great buisness. a Burger King is opening on Guy/ST Cath. st Marc street was like a village path now it became known for its good restaurants.
the population of downtown has changed , it's more Asian and Middle eastern not so mush into clubbing and drinking. but the economy is ok
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 03:01 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Sounds pretty ****ty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzz View Post
night life is dying for sure.
you can park your car on crescent saturday night. 10 years ago i wasn't even able to walk how crowded it was.people don't have money or afraid to waste money on bars and night clubs.
when it comes to the economy it's another story. the tendency is small restaurants, hole in the wall. coffee shops are over crowded by students. Adonis opened on st catherine, killed provigo, PA and ALMIZAN still doing great buisness. a Burger King is opening on Guy/ST Cath. st Marc street was like a village path now it became known for its good restaurants.
the population of downtown has changed , it's more Asian and Middle eastern not so mush into clubbing and drinking. but the economy is ok

Old 02-25-2016, 07:08 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times
I honestly don't think downtown is dying, its just going through a transition. Every time i'm downtown it's always packed on St.Catherine street, Crescent, St.Laurent (i consider it part of downtown and also the plateau) etc. it's different in winter obviously, as St.Laurent, St.Catherine and to an extent St.Denis street are usually packed while the others are relatively empty after 5-6 at night. I have a feeling with the new condos and high population growth everything will soon balance out, economy wise and nightlife wise, but don't forget during the summer months downtown is a whole different beast.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I honestly don't think downtown is dying, its just going through a transition. Every time i'm downtown it's always packed on St.Catherine street, Crescent, St.Laurent (i consider it part of downtown and also the plateau) etc. it's different in winter obviously, as St.Laurent, St.Catherine and to an extent St.Denis street are usually packed while the others are relatively empty after 5-6 at night. I have a feeling with the new condos and high population growth everything will soon balance out, economy wise and nightlife wise, but don't forget during the summer months downtown is a whole different beast.
You live in Miami or Montreal? How does the night life in mtl during summer months compare to that of Miami?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
You live in Miami or Montreal? How does the night life in mtl during summer months compare to that of Miami?
Both, and summer time Montreal is much more crazy than South Beach, during i'd say January-April SoBe is crazier. Montreal for sure is one of the most underrated nightlife cities in North America, and every time i take my american friends to Montreal they just go on and on about the city/nightlife/diversity.
Also i must add all the events and festivals in Montreal make it a more interesting a fun city.

Last edited by CXT2000; 02-25-2016 at 08:18 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 05:20 PM

^Interesting. Yeah, MTL does have great nightlife, there is no doubt about it. Summers in MTl are the best.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
^Interesting. Yeah, MTL does have great nightlife, there is no doubt about it. Summers in MTl are the best.
Yeah, even some of the events in winter are very unique and help bring more people downtown, but for sure summer is just insane.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:22 PM

579 posts, read 664,406 times
Quote:
Both, and summer time Montreal is much more crazy than South Beach, during i'd say January-April SoBe is crazier. Montreal for sure is one of the most underrated nightlife cities in North America, and every time i take my american friends to Montreal they just go on and on about the city/nightlife/diversity.
Also i must add all the events and festivals in Montreal make it a more interesting a fun city.
Perhaps to some in the US it may be the lack of proficiency in French that could rebut nightlife-challenged people from going to Montreal in the first place, even though the exchange rate is now favorable to them...

Old 02-26-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Perhaps to some in the US it may be the lack of proficiency in French that could rebut nightlife-challenged people from going to Montreal in the first place, even though the exchange rate is now favorable to them...
Montreal is one of the most bilingual cities in North America, especially in all the touristic areas, but people do assume that its French and that's it, when really it's not like that.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:59 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Montreal is one of the most bilingual cities in North America, especially in all the touristic areas, but people do assume that its French and that's it, when really it's not like that.
Yep. When I took my wife there, she automatically assumed she would need to know French. She was surprised to find out she didn't need any at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal