Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:35 AM

26,899 posts, read 38,194,706 times

Advertisements

A funny long-running gag about this issue in some circles in France...

There is a French grammar book that all French schoolkids have. I can't remember which one it is... Grévisse, Bescherelle, whatever...

Anyway, on the inside front cover of the grammar book that every French kid had in school, it was written INTERDIT DE VENTE AU CANADA (not for sale in Canada).

The punch to the gag was: "So that's why they speak like they do!"

(Of course, the real reason it was not supposed to be sold in Canada was because another publisher had the rights to sell it here. But one should never let facts get in the way of a joke, good or bad.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 04:02 PM

90 posts, read 139,161 times
Are there any apps or websites that teach Quebecois French? Too bad it's too niche for Duolingo for now.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:28 PM

792 posts, read 2,331,070 times
There are several videos on YouTube that discuss differences in pronunciation or vocabulary. Videos that show the lyrics to songs by contemporary Quebecois musicians can also be instructive (for example, "Toune d'Automne", by Les Cowboys Fringants).

Old 12-18-2015, 06:42 AM

565 posts, read 676,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Gray View Post
Are there any apps or websites that teach Quebecois French? Too bad it's too niche for Duolingo for now.
It has been explained before : written French is the same on both sides of the Atlantic. The accents and a few words are different, but overall the difference is about the same as American English vs British English.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:01 AM

Also, learning the slangy variant of Quebec French (assuming such a formal program existed in class or online) is no the best approach. You generally need to learn the standard of any language in order to open up the doors of any colloquial variants.

Now, it is not uncommon to meet older anglophones in Montreal (and in Ottawa to some degree) who learned slangy French on the streets, hanging out or playing road hockey with francophones for example.

But what you will find is that these people cannot really use their French for any practical purpose other than swigging back some beers and watching the game with the boys.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:10 AM

For example, here is that song quoted above as an example. I have bolded the terms that I think might not be intuitive to someone from France (though I may have missed one or two and some might be known in France too). The song contains many pronunciation short cuts but the vast majority of it is still based in standard French.

Comment ça va ma p'tite soeur?
Viens que j'te serre dans mes bras
Pis, as-tu r'trouvé l'bonheur
Dans ton trip au Canada?
Dans l'bout' c't'année y s'est pas passé grand'chose
C't'un peu morose...

J'espère au moins qu'c't'ait l'fun là-bas
Chu fier que tu m'aies pas ramené
Un beau-frère de l'Alberta
Ça m'aurait un peu ébranlé
Jure-moi donc que c'fois là tu restes à' maison
pour de bon

Anyway chu content que tu r'viennes
T'arrives en même temps qu'l'automne
Tsé qu'ça m'a fait ben d'la peine
De t'voir partir ma mignonne...

Icitte y'a papa qui se r'met
De sa p'tite opération
T'aurais dû l'voir y feakait
Fallait l'traiter aux p'**** oignons
Et môman s'est inquièté toute l'année
À cause de toé...

De mon bord j'ai décidé
D'arrêter de végéter
J'rentre à l'université
On verra c'que ça va donner
Mais tu m'connais chu pas motivé plus qui faut
C'est pas nouveau...

J'ai vu Simon le mois passé
Ç'avait pas trop l'air de filer
Y m'a dit qu't'avais pas appelé
Depuis sa fête en février
Si tu l'aimes pus faudrait peut-être pas l'niaiser
C't'un bon buddy

Et puis toé ma p'tite soeur
Es-tu toujours aussi perdue?
C'est ti encore la grande noirceur?
Ou ben si t'as r'pris le dessus?
Tsé qu'la vie est parsemée de p'tites misères
Faut pas t'en faire...

Old 12-18-2015, 08:31 AM

213 posts, read 228,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
There are several videos on YouTube that discuss differences in pronunciation or vocabulary. Videos that show the lyrics to songs by contemporary Quebecois musicians can also be instructive (for example, "Toune d'Automne", by Les Cowboys Fringants).
LOVE LOVE LOVE that song! It's so melancholy - makes me melt a little bit whenever I hear it.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
LOVE LOVE LOVE that song! It's so melancholy - makes me melt a little bit whenever I hear it.
Yeah, I like it too. It's almost like an Irish song but in French. This band and several others in Quebec have very obvious Irish influences in their music.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:35 PM

676 posts, read 965,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Gray View Post
About | OffQc | Québécois French Guide

How to speak French like a Quebecker - Le québécois en 10 leçons - Fluent in 3 months - Language Hacking and Travel Tips

Old 03-23-2016, 12:57 PM

104 posts, read 93,532 times
"Quebec is described as a matriarchal society ("Feministan")"

Been wanting to move to Quebec but this quote from the article is important to me. Since I'm a male, feminism is useless to me. I don't want to live in a feminist society, so I think forgoing Quebec is a good idea. I've read a lot of talk about how feminist Quebec is and that's put me off more than the weather. I can deal with cold weather. I don't care for cold women.

Lise Theirault said she's not feminist but egalitarian last month and "WHAM!" it's been all over the English-speaking and French-speaking news! The outrage over this is so huge you'd think she'd have said some derogatory slur or said she admires Hitler! Just google her name and the number of articles about that will come into the dozens before you reach page 10.

In any case, there are so much talk about Quebec being Feministan that I've lost interest in moving there. Rather than calling Quebec French, I'd say it's Scandinavian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal