Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:00 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,779,818 times

Advertisements

My brother and I make roughly the same amount of money before taxes.
His dollar seems to carry him further than mine.
We live very similar lifestyles in terms of housing, cars, and spending habits, and our families are the same size.

He lives a good 30 minutes outside of the Montreal.
I live 30 minutes out of Orlando.

Montreal, overall, isn't any more expensive than any other major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 10:47 AM

123 posts, read 333,371 times
But most probably you Brother pay more taxes than you. Free healthcare is fraud when you dont even get a family doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
My brother and I make roughly the same amount of money before taxes.
His dollar seems to carry him further than mine.
We live very similar lifestyles in terms of housing, cars, and spending habits, and our families are the same size.

He lives a good 30 minutes outside of the Montreal.
I live 30 minutes out of Orlando.

Montreal, overall, isn't any more expensive than any other major city.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,779,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girish View Post
But most probably you Brother pay more taxes than you. Free healthcare is fraud when you dont even get a family doctor.
Yes, he pays more in taxes, but after all expenses (taxes included), his dollar takes him further than mine. Not a complaint, just an observation.

I'd pay extra taxes for "free healthcare." Currently, approximately 7% of my income goes to paying for health insurance, and I still have to pay a deductible for most things.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:08 PM

171 posts, read 274,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Remember that there has been an inordinate amount of new condo construction in Montreal, so much so that it kept rents (and housing costs in general) in check.
They had a condo boom in Toronto too. Didn't seem to make much of a difference there.
I will say that maybe the régie in Montreal may have kept prices down. On the other hand prices in other big cities are way over inflated.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:14 PM

792 posts, read 2,334,712 times
I'm looking at a possible extended stay in Montreal. I'm amazed at the rents I'm seeing on Craigslist for Montreal. Much lower than a US city of that rank. I guess other things are expensive, though, so I guess I won't be able to pack lightly.

By the way, does Montreal have many secondhand or resale stores that sell used items, especially clothing and furniture?

Old 09-04-2015, 04:04 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,995,512 times
The mention of a good Massage reminded me of when I was in uniform back in Japan (1951) the girl would walk on my back....now that is a Massage worth looking into.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:28 PM

676 posts, read 967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
I'm looking at a possible extended stay in Montreal. I'm amazed at the rents I'm seeing on Craigslist for Montreal. Much lower than a US city of that rank. I guess other things are expensive, though, so I guess I won't be able to pack lightly.

By the way, does Montreal have many secondhand or resale stores that sell used items, especially clothing and furniture?
Yes, especially for clothing. We have Goodwill and Salvation Army stores that also have some furniture. Also, just as in the US, a lot of people buy/sell stuff on Craigslist (and the Canadian version, Kijiji).

Old 03-27-2016, 08:26 PM

3,522 posts, read 7,814,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
"2.) Massages and all of the extras that go with it are also rather inexpensive here. Granted, the quality of the massages and the quality of the women is lackluster, you're better off actually trying to pursue the local girls because they're a lot nicer and prettier"

There's always Ashley Madison, dearie.
Ashley Madison is a scam. When Ashley Madison was hacked someone analyzed the data, out of all the female profiles, only 1,500 of the female accounts checked there email, ever. The means that 99.999% of the female profiles are fake. But, hey it's your money, if you want to spend your money to talk to computerized bots, go right ahead.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,115,273 times
Montreal is great for a few days of tourism. What city is great to live for just three months? Not even NYC, or Paris is great for 3 months unless you actually have a life there.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:29 PM

298 posts, read 278,468 times
Been to Montreal many times, never complained since its worth my money, I don't know what kind of job you have but if its not doing you well than I'm sorry for your bad experiences with how expensive it could be. Montreal is the part city of the country, great nightlife.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 03-28-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal