Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 08:12 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,365,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I never thought I'd see the day when the cost of "massages" or "Cuban Cazadores" would appear in the same sentence as shopping at dollar stores.

Thanks for the first. LOL!
You could even say; He had an unhappy ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 12:50 PM

194 posts, read 425,438 times
[quote=HarryRSpooner;40991819]@Girish, thanks for the advice and the link. Why is it Canada is so much more expensive than the U.S.A? Smaller consumer market? Less competition? What's the deal?

Here you are right besides smaller market and less competition the Canadian retailers are less productive and efficient than their American counterparts.

I think you are wrong for the dollar stores however. Dollarama is one of the best run retailers in North America and their quality to price is better than anything you will find in US. Where I am working we had a US company who did a market comparative study in the Dollard store field, their finding was that there is nothing similar to Dollarama in US for price/quality and assortment.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:51 PM

127 posts, read 270,589 times
it always surprises me or bothers me i would say when people describe the ups and downs of a city. they talk about rent, grocery, public transit...and then comes the women situation on the shopping list. the approachability of women is somewhere between rent and shampoo price.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:53 AM

123 posts, read 333,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
@Girish, thanks for the advice and the link. Why is it Canada is so much more expensive than the U.S.A? Smaller consumer market? Less competition? What's the deal?
Pretty much what you said , protectionism is in place for Canadian organizations. small market, more efforts and cost for warehousing same products, can sell same milk across border for 3 bucks a gallon but will cost 7 bucks here. protection and monopoly. looks at mobile service providers, the moment they see competition , big giants like bell and rogers kill them ( with the help from govt.). Its not much different than US but huge competition made it much cheaper in US as compare to Canada. Moreover antitrust laws are probably much stronger there so everyone is in check.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:57 AM

[quote=kent2780;40996943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
@Girish, thanks for the advice and the link. Why is it Canada is so much more expensive than the U.S.A? Smaller consumer market? Less competition? What's the deal?

Here you are right besides smaller market and less competition the Canadian retailers are less productive and efficient than their American counterparts.

I think you are wrong for the dollar stores however. Dollarama is one of the best run retailers in North America and their quality to price is better than anything you will find in US. Where I am working we had a US company who did a market comparative study in the Dollard store field, their finding was that there is nothing similar to Dollarama in US for price/quality and assortment.
I agree with you on Dollarama, however one really need to assess what he/she should be buying from dollarama . Buy the stuff that is worth. make wrong choice and you will regret it. for example all sort of electronics stuff .

Old 08-31-2015, 02:23 PM

171 posts, read 274,768 times
Rents are far cheaper in Montreal and since rents make up a large percentage of monthly costs, it's far cheaper in Montreal over any other major Canadian city.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:00 PM

579 posts, read 669,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
Rents are far cheaper in Montreal and since rents make up a large percentage of monthly costs, it's far cheaper in Montreal over any other major Canadian city.
Remember that there has been an inordinate amount of new condo construction in Montreal, so much so that it kept rents (and housing costs in general) in check.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:59 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,557,311 times
One particular Montreal rip off is gas prices. seems we are paying a lot more than most places off island, I keep reading of the declining price of a barrel of oil and the same day gas is up 10 cents a liter.
Montreal prices so far this week $1.10-$1.15 a liter.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:55 AM

Agree, it was 97 Cents in Toronto On Friday when It was 1.10 here and USD 1.98 a gallon in New Jersey.

PS. Rent is not everything , there are so many other things that costs matters once you get to used to North American lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
One particular Montreal rip off is gas prices. seems we are paying a lot more than most places off island, I keep reading of the declining price of a barrel of oil and the same day gas is up 10 cents a liter.
Montreal prices so far this week $1.10-$1.15 a liter.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 AM

358 posts, read 284,540 times
Montréal expensive?? Try living in any large American or Western/Northern European city where rents/housing are much more expensive. I wish i lived in Montréal a dream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal