Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 AM

9 posts, read 30,718 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or thoughts on Beaconsfield vs. Kirkland. We are a young family (kids: 4 months, 2 years and 4 years) moving from Toronto. None of us speak very good French (right now at least) so we are looking for more anglo neighborhoods. Also we're not sure about buying or renting as we're not sure how long term this will be. Are there any other neighborhoods that you might recommend?

I was also looking at private schools/daycares for my kids. Specifically I was looking at Academie Marie-Claire and Kuper Academy. Does anyone have any recos on this or any others? I am interested in my children attending an English school with exposure to french as well because I know that will be great for them! Are there any good public english schools in that area that we should be considering as well?

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Not quite the same as there will be way more francophones and French in general around, but still just about the closest thing you will find to suburban Toronto in the Montreal area.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM

15 posts, read 29,700 times
I can't comment on the schools you're asking about but Beaconsfield and Kirkland are both pretty anglo so you'll be fine with either.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:19 AM

194 posts, read 422,908 times
Any of the West Island towns will be fine for you: Beaconsfield, Pointe Claire, Kirkland, Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Pierrefonds. They are all mostly English but you will still get a significant number of French speakers. All services and activities will be available in English.
The kindergarten starts at 5, for your younger kids you will have to look for a day care. In the beginning it will be probably easier to find place in a home day care.
If either you or your husband did school in Canada in English your children will be eligible for English boards school. If this is the case I wouldn't consider sending my kids to a private English school. There are very few private English primary schools in West Island, the cost is high and the quality of instruction not necessary better.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 PM

Thanks so much

Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
I grew up in Kirkland, went to elementary and highschool in Beaconsfield. They are basically one community, buy based on what house you'd like and the neighbourhood, not on Kirkland vs. Beaconsfield. Beaconsfield's main advantages are the commuter train line and the waterfront. Kirkland's are some newer houses, access to the more free flowing highway (the 40), and closer proximity to Fairview, the closest thing the West Island has to a central hub.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
As an Anglo family that speaks no French i'm curious as to why you'd want to move to Quebec.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As an Anglo family that speaks no French i'm curious as to why you'd want to move to Quebec.
Jobs almost certainly. My GF's parents moved to the West Island from Vancouver because of a job transfer and still speak almost no French after ten years (although both kids are very fluent). They get by totally fine living in Dollard, although I still think them very silly for having given up, they could have put in more effort.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hi -

Yes this move is the result of a job move. I'm trying to brush up on what little French I have before the move and learn more but I'm hoping it won't be too difficult when I first arrive given I don't know very much.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleMTO View Post
Hi -

Yes this move is the result of a job move. I'm trying to brush up on what little French I have before the move and learn more but I'm hoping it won't be too difficult when I first arrive given I don't know very much.
I'll be curious as to how you make out on your relocation to Montreal.
While Montreals west island is where most of Quebecs Anglos live you'd be hard pressed to notice that fact as all signs are in French, all federal and municipal government service personnel are French, all public transit employees are French, most employees in the stores are French.
Then theres the separatist government doing its best to rid the province of Anglos, at the moment they are ruling with a minority government but its expected today they will announce an election date for the near future,if the result of that election gives them a majority expect a referendum on separation to soon follow.
I'd definitely rent for the first year until you get a good grasp of what its like to be an Anglo in todays Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal