Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:14 PM

32 posts, read 82,951 times

Advertisements

Acajack, what accidents of history would you say were most important in maintaining Quebec's Francophone identity? The most obvious counter-example would be Louisiana, which was Francophone in 1803 at the time of the Louisiana Purchase, bilingual for much of the 19th century, and clearly Anglophone by around 1900.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:18 PM

123 posts, read 332,814 times
Why not consider English as global language and not Anglophone's. For example had non Quebecker spoke Spanish instead of English would there be such resistance for English? isn't that Scandinavians , Dutch, Germans , Indians, Filipinos etc speak their mother language but speak good English as well? Its no more a language of particular group or race but a universal language needed for overall growth and prosperity.

take a look at this

Money? Politics? Weather? Why are we leaving Quebec? | Montreal Gazette

Old 01-10-2014, 02:37 PM

692 posts, read 958,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girish View Post
Why not consider English as global language and not Anglophone's. For example had non Quebecker spoke Spanish instead of English would there be such resistance for English? isn't that Scandinavians , Dutch, Germans , Indians, Filipinos etc speak their mother language but speak good English as well? Its no more a language of particular group or race but a universal language needed for overall growth and prosperity.

take a look at this

Money? Politics? Weather? Why are we leaving Quebec? | Montreal Gazette
"a universal language needed for overall growth and prosperity"

LMAO Anglophones really do have a high opinion of themselves.

You do realise a HUGE portion of the world get's by just fine and enjoys a high standard of living without speaking English, right? Never mind the fact that Francophone Canadians as a whole are FAR more likely to be bilingual than Anglophone Canadians.

I don't need to speak English to be an entrepreneur and start a small business in Quebec, France, Germany or any of the countries you mentioned. The ubiquity of English in those nations is more a function of American economic hegemony (which is waning fast) coupled with the general disinterest Anglophones have in learning other languages. Hell, many Anglophones can't even speak English properly. Quebec is more than twice the size of France, you could literally drive for hours and not come across a single native Anglophone. Most Quebecois (especially those not in the tourist sector) have absolutely no pressing need to learn English, so why would they? Quebec hasn't turned into Somalia simply because the majority of the population doesn't speak English.

English may be a lingua franca, but 5/6ths of the world's population doesn't speak a lick of English and there are many places where it is effectively useless.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:57 PM
pdw

2,687 posts, read 3,106,764 times
This isn't about English being a global language, it's about English being a Quebec language, which it is. English is not simply a guest in Quebec, and shouldn't under any circumstances be treated as if it is.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Never mind the fact that Francophone Canadians as a whole are FAR more likely to be bilingual than Anglophone Canadians.
The reason for that is probably because they represent a small demographic of around 6 million within an ocean of 350 million English speakers.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
This isn't about English being a global language, it's about English being a Quebec language, which it is. English is not simply a guest in Quebec, and shouldn't under any circumstances be treated as if it is.
You guys have the option to attend University in English, you have hospitals in English, Schools in English, indeed many of you could live your lives predominantly in English if you so wished. Francophones and other linguistic minorities in most of the rest of North America do NOT have that option. Honestly, you don't have a great deal to complain about.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:16 AM
pdw

2,687 posts, read 3,106,764 times
What say do I as a Canadian have in the US government? This isn't a "North America" issue, why are you trying to turn it into one? Francophones have the right to education in the French language Canada-wide. Unlike in Quebec, that right is given to all francophones, not simply those who inherit the right to attend school in their first language.

Last edited by pdw; 01-11-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 11:47 AM

It’s so funny how you assume that anyone who is not Francophone is Anglophone. Sorry but English is my third language after my mother tongue and our national language (2nd). I did all my primary education and secondary education in the medium of instruction of my mother tongue with English as a third language subject only in secondary. But when you go to university science and engineering is taught only in English. I am glad that we had this setup. It’s only because of my proficiency in English and knowledge in science and engineering, after my masters I was able to explore world and had an opportunity to work in places like Singapore (10 yrs.) New York (6 yrs.) and now here in Montreal (almost 3 years). It’s the very reason that helped me to grow myself, do better financially and provide better life to my family and kids without worrying much.

This is just my opinion that its an universal language needed for overall growth and prosperity.
(Not an Anglophones’s opinion that you assumed)

I know when you say Quebec hasn’t turned into Somalia but hey it’s becoming stagnant and not growing the way economies like Singapore, New Zealand, Denmark, Norway , Finland, Malaysia, Sweden etc. These economies are growing because of business friendly regulations and guess what else is common in most cases? Language of business !!!

Data doesn’t lie isn’t it? Quebec fared worst place to open business in last 2 years.
Canada’s Best and Worst Provinces: 2013 edition | Abacus Insider

BTW I am actively involved in hiring talent here in Montreal, though we do hire many university grads but there is hardly any experienced talent available locally and at times we are forced to hire talent from outside like Ontario, Eastern Europe, Philippines, and India etc. give a thought on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
"a universal language needed for overall growth and prosperity"

LMAO Anglophones really do have a high opinion of themselves.

You do realise a HUGE portion of the world get's by just fine and enjoys a high standard of living without speaking English, right? Never mind the fact that Francophone Canadians as a whole are FAR more likely to be bilingual than Anglophone Canadians.

I don't need to speak English to be an entrepreneur and start a small business in Quebec, France, Germany or any of the countries you mentioned. The ubiquity of English in those nations is more a function of American economic hegemony (which is waning fast) coupled with the general disinterest Anglophones have in learning other languages. Hell, many Anglophones can't even speak English properly. Quebec is more than twice the size of France, you could literally drive for hours and not come across a single native Anglophone. Most Quebecois (especially those not in the tourist sector) have absolutely no pressing need to learn English, so why would they? Quebec hasn't turned into Somalia simply because the majority of the population doesn't speak English.

English may be a lingua franca, but 5/6ths of the world's population doesn't speak a lick of English and there are many places where it is effectively useless.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:50 AM

I agree with you as well, Quebec never was unilingual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post

Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I agree with you as well, Quebec never was unilingual.
None of the Eastern Provinces ever were, and yet why is it that only New Brunswick is the only Bilingual province in Canada? Ironically enough, for all the objections raised here most Anglos would STRONGLY resent being treated in Quebec the way that Francophones are treated in the ROC.

Quote:
It’s so funny how you assume that anyone who is not Francophone is Anglophone. Sorry but English is my third language after my mother tongue and our national language (2nd). I did all my primary education and secondary education in the medium of instruction of my mother tongue with English as a third language subject only in secondary. But when you go to university science and engineering is taught only in English. I am glad that we had this setup. It’s only because of my proficiency in English and knowledge in science and engineering, after my masters I was able to explore world and had an opportunity to work in places like Singapore (10 yrs.) New York (6 yrs.) and now here in Montreal (almost 3 years). It’s the very reason that helped me to grow myself, do better financially and provide better life to my family and kids without worrying much.
This is just my opinion that its an universal language needed for overall growth and prosperity.
(Not an Anglophones’s opinion that you assumed)
You could say the same about damn near any major language with a large number of speakers on several continents. Nothing about this anecdote is unique, it's just your opinion and essentially IS an anglophone opinion.

Quote:
I know when you say Quebec hasn’t turned into Somalia but hey it’s becoming stagnant and not growing the way economies like Singapore, New Zealand, Denmark, Norway , Finland, Malaysia, Sweden etc. These economies are growing because of business friendly regulations and guess what else is common in most cases? Language of business !!!
Again, you're not saying anything of substance here. The US economy is also stagnant, as is the British economy, most Caribbean economies and even Canada's unemployment rate has ticked up in the past quarter, and yet all of these places speak English. And in regards to the nations you listed, with the exception of Scandinavian countries (whose languages are completely regional and spoken by fewer people than even Haitian Creole), they are ALL former British colonies. They didn't up and decide to learn English, it's been imposed on them for centuries.

Quote:
Data doesn’t lie isn’t it? Quebec fared worst place to open business in last 2 years.
Canada’s Best and Worst Provinces: 2013 edition | Abacus Insider
Notice that the same list has Ontario as 3rd worst and 2nd Best THE SAME YEAR. Hardly scientific data and as an engineer you should know better than to present an opinion poll as facts.

Quote:
BTW I am actively involved in hiring talent here in Montreal, though we do hire many university grads but there is hardly any experienced talent available locally and at times we are forced to hire talent from outside like Ontario, Eastern Europe, Philippines, and India etc. give a thought on that.
The US is almost ENTIRELY anglophone and has much of the same problem...much of our STEM talent is foreign despite having a population 10x the size of Canada's. Again, you're not saying anything of substance here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal