Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,515,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
Of course they know Quebec and France are different places but do you honestly think that there aren't many Americans(those who haven't traveled much, which is most) who don't think quebec is just like visiting France? Do you know how many people I've met who think going to quebec is just like going to France? It's a lot of people, surprisingly.
Well they're in for a heck of a surprise if they acquire a working knowledge of Quebec style French and try to use that in France. They'll get an instant education of the "La Difference" ala "where the heck did you learn to speak Francais like that?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 PM
pdw

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
Us English-speaking Canadians are culturally closer to the British than French Canadians are to the French. That isn't to say that one should come here to experience British culture. Hardly. Visit the British Isles to experience British culture and visit France to experience French culture.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:04 AM

86 posts, read 207,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Us English-speaking Canadians are culturally closer to the British than French Canadians are to the French. That isn't to say that one should come here to experience British culture. Hardly. Visit the British Isles to experience British culture and visit France to experience French culture.
I think the main difference is that English is nearly everywhere in North America while French is confined to one location.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Bingo!

One likening Quebec to an actual cultural similarity to France would probably make the same comparison of Victoria on Vancouver Island or the eastern provinces of PEI and New Brunswick to the British Isles in general and they'd be just as incorrect in doing so.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I think the main difference is that English is nearly everywhere in North America while French is confined to one location.
With the possible exception of small enclaves within Louisiana where it is not uncommon to hear some French being spoken.

There is a part of New Orleans (named after Orleans, a city 111 kms southwest of Paris ~ guess where?) actually labeled as the "French Quarter".

"Cajun" a shortening of the term "Acadian" given to those French Canadians "ejected" from Canada and who ultimately settled in Louisiana.

This little tid-bit is deserving of it's own thread however.

******EDIT******

Gosh, I almost forgot Hollywood, Florida ~ Hoooohaaaaa LOL.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:43 AM

545 posts, read 902,901 times
Quote:
Of course they know Quebec and France are different places but do you honestly think that there aren't many Americans(those who haven't traveled much, which is most) who don't think quebec is just like visiting France? Do you know how many people I've met who think going to quebec is just like going to France? It's a lot of people, surprisingly.
I see what your saying. You are right to a certain degree. I see from some of your posts that you are in the Hudson Valley, an area I have lived in and really loved. However, the NYPD/FDNY crowd is not likely to be big travelers. I now live in Michigan and roll with many people in the R&D section of the car industry. Almost everybody has traveled and/or worked in Europe and Asia. They would not think of Montreal as being European.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:12 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Fascinating to see all of the people here making pronouncements about something they know very little about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal